What controls Turbo Core in Xeons?

Page 79 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mtgben

Nov 21, 2017
kjboughton !
we with your work and help can do this...
1.remove Microcode and moded bios for xeon v4...
2.run EFFORT efi ( Turbo speed ) for v4 broadwell !!!! ....
3.and boot to windows and set to cpu msr x37 for all core is a awsome...
?4. only lock in x28 :( !!!!
only and just part (4) for win this FIGHT .. come on man........

kjboughton

Dec 19, 2007
Download this and copy into (and overwrite) the directory created by the VM Ware microcode update tool posted earlier.
That's what I believe will be Broadwell-E/EP microcode patch revision "B000021". You can check effectiveness using HWiNFO64 above -- note where it shows "uCU" (microcode)... you have *no* microcode loaded. If successful I expect this to show "B000021". Reboot required. Install the driver per the included instructions and be sure to run at Admin level.

Also, pardon the silly questions, but do you have the High Performance power plan set in Windows? Control Panel -> Power Options

You have no set a Power Efficient plan in BIOS have you? It looks a lot like a BIOS setting may be holding you back. Everything should effectively be set to Performance.

Last edited:

mtgben

Nov 21, 2017
Download this and copy into (and overwrite) the directory created by the VM Ware microcode update tool posted earlier.
That's what I believe will be Broadwell-E/EP microcode patch revision "B000021". You can check effectiveness using HWiNFO64 above -- note where it shows "uCU" (microcode)... you have *no* microcode loaded. If successful I expect this to show "B000021". Reboot required. Install the driver per the included instructions and be sure to run at Admin level.

Also, pardon the silly questions, but do you have the High Performance power plan set in Windows? Control Panel -> Power Options

You have no set a Power Efficient plan in BIOS have you? It looks a lot like a BIOS setting may be holding you back. Everything should effectively be set to Performance.

Dont be tired
kjboughton

my windows power option is balanced , but i check high performance and power saver for other results...and im checking the bios soon.............

fabiosun

Nov 22, 2017
I would like to share test i have done
My System
Rampage V Extreme 10 (firmware from 1003 to 1701) default microcode B00000C
E5 2696 V4 oem SRJ20 (production unit)

This motherboard does not boot without a microcode for broadwell EP

I have deleted it with UBU 1.6.95 and motherboard do not finish his post rebooting with A2 code
I can boot it with old microcode B00001C and B00001D but not with B000021 i have not tried to flash B00001F (pay attention, this is a direct injection with UBU and then flash via flash back option)

So I stay with B0000C and boots as usual in Windows
I removed MCUpdate dll renaming it
and then i have tested all microcode you can find here using microcode updater
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23829
So in HWinfo64 i can see all version i have installed B,C,D,F,21
Obviosly system is in power option performance mode
Tested in all that conditions all efi kindly given from @kjboughton

I had also push at his limit long power limit , window and other related turbo parameters in bios settings
I would also specify that my system temperature are in full load about 45 degrees
ResultS?
No difference at all
I would like to ask tw0 things to peope with a working unlocked v3
1) during load which tdp you reach (You can check it with Intel power gadgets)
https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-power-gadget-20
2) is there a owner of a motherboard with a single V3/V4 Xeon (not dual WS motherboard owner) who cn boot without Haswell EP/BroadwellEP Microcode?

Then, if you have any ideas.... I would like to try it! :)

PS
tried with Windows 10 pro (latest) and OSX High Sierra 10.13.1

Last edited:

smuu

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand this bios and efi driver modification stuff well enough. Do I have to do something besides applying a modified bios on the motherboard. Can the kjboughton's UEFI driver be injected with the modified bios? So if i manage to modify the bios files do I still have to do something else? Currently I've been trying out canonkings premade bioses with -50mV and -70mV. -70mV benchmarks better but there seems to be some stability issues with it.

MOF

Jul 31, 2017
So if i manage to modify the bios files do I still have to do something else?
Turbo mod has 3 main footstep.

1- Removing microcodes from bios (necessary)
2-Adding magic efi driver to startup (necessary)
3-Adding new microcode (optional but definitely recommended)

Some efi drivers combine these two ( V3x2_cp27.efi, V3x2_cp39.efi, V3x2_cup27.efi, v3x2_50_39_vcc.efi ...) These drivers also contain microcodes, if you use one of these, you do not need to install any code. But these drivers can not injected into bios.

Some efi drivers can injected into bios (V3.efi, C_payne's drivers..)

Also there is a few minor things. When C6 is enabled on some motherboards system will be freeze. Some (cpu&motherboard) combination TDP limits makes another speed limitation. With powercut(vcc) drivers you can pass this limit.

Right now im using custom made c6 disabled, mcode removed and powercut driver injected bios firmware. Almost everything i need inside this bios.

mtgben

Nov 21, 2017
dear kjboughton....
today i check my bios setting and use your broadwelll micro code..
yes is show in my hwinfo64 000021..and i can also set efi driver with ucode check..
i also dont install xeon driver :(....and yes i install xeon v4 driver to my windows because driver z10 old and system no detect xeon v4...!!!
and after i install new chipset and xeon E5 v4 in hwinfo64 all core go to x28,x34,x32,x37,x36.....:)
but also when i use stress cpu in cpu-z or rendering all core go to x26 :O....i test with 0x27.dat for haswell microcode reboot and in stres cpu all core go to x27..
before i install xeon driver without stress and normal cpu all core go to x28 ...but after i install xeon v4 driver >>> playing with x28,x34,x32,x37,x36.....:)
and we one step go to forward...
for now only x26 x27 x28 locking :mad:

mtgben

Nov 21, 2017

Some efi drivers combine these two ( V3x2_cp27.efi, V3x2_cp39.efi, V3x2_cup27.efi, v3x2_50_39_vcc.efi ...) These drivers also contain microcodes, if you use one of these, you do not need to install any code. But these drivers can not injected into bios.

Also there is a few minor things. When C6 is enabled on some motherboards system will be freeze. Some (cpu&motherboard) combination TDP limits makes another speed limitation. With powercut(vcc) drivers you can pass this limit.

Right now im using custom made c6 disabled, mcode removed and powercut driver injected bios firmware. Almost everything i need inside this bios.

sorry MOF..have you magic efi for xeon v4 to all core turbo and lock to full speed??

txgy

Apr 24, 2017
@txgy What kind of driver do you need?

Already there is tons of drivers, I do not want to make it even worse. Tell me exactly what you need. 60mv core offset, 20mv cache, 1.8v vcc , powercut enable etc or if you dont need a powercut ffs you can use C_payne's drivers

https://peine-braun.net/public_files/XEON_V3_BIOS_MODS/EFI-Drivers/
-70mv Vcore, -20 Cache, -20 SA, 1.8V VCCin powercut
-80mv Vcore, -20 Cache, -20 SA, 1.8V VCCin powercut
-90mv Vcore, -20 Cache, -20 SA, 1.8V VCCin powercut

when using v3_50_vcc.ffs, VR OUT changes between 1.84v-1.88v, cpu package power never reaches 1W. TDP fake is working !

Dufus

Sep 20, 2010
@MOF have you ever seen VCCIN work above ~1.82V (1.9V for instance) ? My own experience is that it needs a ucode patch to work.

MOF

Jul 31, 2017
@MOF have you ever seen VCCIN work above ~1.82V (1.9V for instance) ? My own experience is that it needs a ucode patch to work.
Same here too. Looks like 1.825volt is a limit, when you go above vcc lock doesn't works anymore.

proworker

Jul 29, 2017
hi all cinebench now not trust test . i am real test 2 machine 2680 v2 dual vs 2696 v4 dual 2680v2 x2 = 2700 cb and 2696 v4 2x 5790 cb but
1 scene 3dsmax 6000x2920 res 2680 v2 2x = 10 min 32 sec 2696 v4 2x = 3 minute 30 sec difference for %300 but cb 5790

smuu

Oct 26, 2017

Big thank you for detailed explanation. Need to go and study how to add these efi drivers to startup. So if i understood correctly, 1st I flash one of the no mcode biosses with nothing extra for my motherboard and then try different efi drivers and see which one works the best for me.