What controls Turbo Core in Xeons?

Page 48 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

C_Payne

May 16, 2017
UPDATE: Saw the highest all-core multi ever seen on this dual 2696v3 syste: 35x
CPU0: 33x @ loaded VID ~ 0.98V
CPU1: 35x @ loaded VID ~ 0.94V

Is it possible to do differential Voffset reduction per Package?

Differential Voffset is no problem.
But I am not sure if undervolting is neccesarily our way to higher multis as stability will be an issue.
Not Sure if your CPU0 could handle 0.94V (-110mv).

C_Payne

May 16, 2017
Cache offset for *_70_50.* files should be -20mV. Throttlestop is reporting -50mV. Core is correct @ -70mV.

I dont get it..

70_50 means -70 core and -50 cache like said in Throttlestop.

Or does this driver change cache only by 20mV?

Kalistoval

Aug 2, 2017
Hey guys new member here I was lurking around, So I have this Xeon E5 2697 v3 Es and would like to know how to clock it faster or max turbo?.
5mea6b.jpg

Last edited:

junkim

May 12, 2017
use mmtool to open the bios,and insert the ffs file to the DxeCsm or DxeCore(Different brands of motherboards do not have the same name ), than save the bios,and use UBU to recalibration.
https://www.chiphell.com/thread-1717625-1-1.html You can use google translate,this article summed up all the methods.

I integrated the V3 in the bios but after flash the new moded bios the pc will get stuck at q-code 94 and then shutdown.

CANONKONG

Jul 11, 2017
I integrated the V3 in the bios but after flash the new moded bios the pc will get stuck at q-code 94 and then shutdown.
You must check the bios DXE you inserted and when you finished mod bios,you must use UBU to check out.

kjboughton

Dec 19, 2007
Differential Voffset is no problem.
But I am not sure if undervolting is neccesarily our way to higher multis as stability will be an issue.
Not Sure if your CPU0 could handle 0.94V (-110mv).

Testing of -90mV resulted in freeze in Windows load and even BIOS load necessitating external re-program via SPI. CMOS clear may have worked but I didn't try that first. Went nuclear instead.
I must have loaded something other than what I intended as I am using -70mV core / -50mV uncore and it all looks good in TS.

@C_Payne Can you please make a driver with the following?:
CPU0: -90mV core
CPU1: -70mV core
CPU0/CPU1: -50mV uncore

thanks

Last edited:

C_Payne

May 16, 2017
Testing of -90mV resulted in freeze in Windows load and even BIOS load necessitating external re-program via SPI

I take it you have then sucessfully integrated V3x2_payne.ffs into that bios? or why would you need to reflash with .efi driver?

sciff

Mar 6, 2017
Stepping 1 v3 Xeons (ES) can use V3-1.FFS. I have test v4 Xeons,it worked with change the MSR.
http://pan.baidu.com/s/1skQZ2c1
http://pan.baidu.com/s/1qYSDCF6

So I can convert "V3_1.EFI" into "V3_1.ffs", insert it into BIOS file using MMTool into DxeCore/DxeCsm, save the file, then open it in UBU, do recalibration and then flash the bios. This way I will get higher all-core turbo on e.g. E5-2630L V3 ES stepping 1.
Is that correct?

But how do I use UBU for recalibration?

Also, do I have to delete microcode update from the BIOS?

What was the all-core turbo on V4 Xeons that you tested this way?

So, E5 v4 chips can also run all cores at max turbo? Wow, this is awesome! I saw your 22 cores v4 potentially running all cores at 37x? What about power?

At least stepping 1 v3 Xeons can be sort of unlocked just with BIOS settings, no BIOS modification, EFI driver loading, etc:

Important BIOS settings:

0_15d5a5_3ed6a3e2_orig.jpg

0_15d5a4_565c6a67_orig.jpg

0_15d5a9_22a145e7_orig.jpg

No CPU Core/Ring offset:

0_15d5a6_5e42aa54_orig.jpg

-30mV CPU Core/Ring offsets plus no CPU power limits:

0_15d5aa_acb9c563_orig.jpg

Last edited:

sciff

Mar 6, 2017
Hey guys new member here I was lurking around, So I have this Xeon E5 2697 v3 Es and would like to know how to clock it faster or max turbo?.
5mea6b.jpg
What kind of motherboard do you have? Can you show HWiNFO screenshot of your system? To see both CPU and motherboard?

kjboughton

Dec 19, 2007
So I can convert "V3_1.EFI" into "V3_1.ffs", insert it into BIOS file using MMTool into DxeCore/DxeCsm, save the file, then open it in UBU, do recalibration and then flash the bios. This way I will get higher all-core turbo on e.g. E5-2630L V3 ES stepping 1.
Is that correct?
Sounds like a plan...

But how do I use UBU for recalibration?
ALWAYS after using MMTool/UEFITool, simply open ROM in UBU and choose 0 (Exit) to finalize file.

Also, do I have to delete microcode update from the BIOS?
You tell us. You just unlocked a Step 1 ES v3 Xeon...

Reactions: sciff

kjboughton

Dec 19, 2007
I take it you have then sucessfully integrated V3x2_payne.ffs into that bios? or why would you need to reflash with .efi driver?

No attempt yet. Would like to see us finalize the driver design before moving to that step.
Probably could have just clear CMOS... wasn't thinking straight...

Cata40

Mar 2, 2017
I would love to know if the driver can be integrated into BIOS.
Btw: I use UEFITOOL to integrate the .ffs files.[/QUOTE]
How you integrated with UEFI tool?

Cata40

Mar 2, 2017
Use ffs into the bios,you don't need any efi copy or set bcfg driver.Also the PC can sleep and wake up Perfect instead the old method.
I integrated C_Payne 50-50 ffs , but in boot it stop to number 70, i reload the old fashion metod

C_Payne

May 16, 2017
No attempt yet. Would like to see us finalize the driver design before moving to that step.
Probably could have just clear CMOS... wasn't thinking straight...

Alright. I am just very curious if that driver can be integrated, as the old v3x2 couldnt be and i suspect it might be the UEFI SMP Service not working the same in that stage of booting.

ALWAYS after using MMTool/UEFITool, simply open ROM in UBU and choose 0 (Exit) to finalize file.

And why is that? I dont do that, however I had to remove asrock security stuff by hand. MSI had no security and I failed on gigabyte, ubu didnt help there either.
I didnt try ASUS yet.

How you integrated with UEFI tool?

I do all my modding with uefitool only. (uCode Removal, Security Check Removal, Inserting drivers)

To Insert a driver just Open the rom. There will be different sections. One with a lot of PEI stuff, one with a lot of dxe drivers. In the DXE section just select the bottommost dxe driver and select insert after... chose the .ffs file. then Save it. Done.

C_Payne

May 16, 2017
I integrated C_Payne 50-50 ffs , but in boot it stop to number 70, i reload the old fashion metod

I take it you took the v3x2_payne_50_50.ffs ....
did you try the corresponding efi beforehand?

maybe CANONKONG can try to reproduce.

Debugging is hard if you dont have the hardware on hand ;(

junkim

May 12, 2017
You must check the bios DXE you inserted and when you finished mod bios,you must use UBU to check out.
How to check the bios DXE?

I did used UBU for recalibration

I tried with all ffs files shard by C_Payne but after flashing the pc stuck at q-code 94

CANONKONG

Jul 11, 2017
How to check the bios DXE?

I did used UBU for recalibration

I tried with all ffs files shard by C_Payne but after flashing the pc stuck at q-code 94
Determine your motherboard brand and model,different brands of motherboards have not the same DXE insert,like ASROCK FFS should insert into the DxeCore. You can tell me your motherboard brand and model,I can help to make kind of MOD BIOS.

CANONKONG

Jul 11, 2017
Determine your motherboard brand and model,different brands of motherboards have not the same DXE insert,like ASROCK FFS should insert into the DxeCore,and you should use UBU torecalibration. ALWAYS after using MMTool/UEFITool, simply open ROM in UBU and choose 0 (Exit) to finalize file. Or you can tell me your motherboard brand and model,I can help to make kind of MOD BIOS.

CANONKONG

Jul 11, 2017
I take it you took the v3x2_payne_50_50.ffs ....
did you try the corresponding efi beforehand?

maybe CANONKONG can try to reproduce.

Debugging is hard if you dont have the hardware on hand ;(
I can help to test out the ffs files, my friends have kinds of motherboard brand and model.
The newest V3X2 ffs have been test,there are working very well.