What cars would/might qualify as modern classics?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

styrafoam

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2002
Buick Grand National
Cyclone/Typhoon
VW Karmann Ghia
ZR-1
production tuned cars like Saleen, Lingenfelter, etc.
DSM cars

PowerMacG5

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2002
94-96 Impala SS
Mercury Marauder (I own one and can say that it is the only modern muscle car that you can buy new. The Impala SS from 94-96 is also a great car, but you can't buy them new anymore)
Corvette Z06
Ferrari Enzo
The new Ford Shelby Cobra
Buick Grand National (This thing has way too much power)
SVT, Lingenfelter, Saleen, etc... Tuned cars.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
US available cars that maybe considered to be classics in twenty years:

Integra Type R (maybe the GSR)

Porsche Turbo, GT3, Boxster S

Impala SS, the V-8 model

Cadillac Seville STS

Lotus Elise

Lotus Esprit

BMW M5

Audi S6

Mustang Cobra

3rd Generation Supra

The last two generations of Nissan Z cars, including the current car

Madza RX-7 last generation

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Originally posted by: nan0bug
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH
3rd Gen Mazda RX7
Mercury Marauder
2002 Firebird T/A Collectors Edition
Acura RSX
Caddilac CTS-V
Lincoln LS

Edit: To be considered a classic it has to be over 20 years old, but I think in 20 years these cars will still be desirable if in good condition.

Acura RSX? Marauder? CTS-V? Lincoln LS? Those are all laughable cars that will not make it as a modern classic. The RX-7, maybe. The Firebird - I don't think one particular year would make it, if you're talking about the blue rimmed T/A. The LS1 based Camaros/Firebirds in general would make it.

maybe the RX7? Are you kidding? The third gen RX7 is the best sports car to ever come out of japan, period. The only thing better is the NSX, which is an exotic, and even then the NSX doesn't hold a candle to an RX7 when you throw proper tuning into the mix.

The CTS-V and Lincoln LS will be remembered simply because they're the first real domestic sports sedans that can be considered competitors to imports. The only thing that came close before they came along was the Taurus SHO, and you can't even compare the SHO to something like a BMW 5-series. THe CTS-V and Lincoln LS, you can. The Mercury Marauder is a limited edition vehicle, which means it will be desirable in 20 years, whether you happen to like it or not. The Acura RSX is Honda's finest offering to the small sport coupe market EVER, to say it wont be desirable in 20 years is just foolish.

As someone said earlier, the 2002 Firebird will be desirable because it's the last year of production. What a lot of people don't understand about the Firebird is that it is the only pony car that made it all the way to 2002 without stopping production or, like in the case of the mustang, turning it into a rebadged econobox. It's a piece of American history, and the 4th Gen Firebirds WILL be desirable, horrible looking interiors and all.

The CTS-V and LS are foolish attempts at trying to beat the BMW 3/5ish series. Limited Edition? More like "no one is buying them" Edition. It's a disappointment and Ford/Mercury knows it, based off the sales numbers. Until Ford stuffs the cast iron block 4.6 in, it's just a bad attempt at a fast, full size 4 door car. The 05 Crown Vics are probably going to get the same 300hp DOHC engine in it anyway. RSX is just another small sports coupe, it's not anything close to being special. If you're going to pick a sports car by Honda that will be remembered, it's the S2K.

It's funny you talk about the Firebird not being a rebadged econobox. Maybe you should redefine your definition of econobox.

DougK62

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2001
3rd Gen Mazda RX7
Mercury Marauder
Acura RSX
Caddilac CTS-V
Lincoln LS

Edit: To be considered a classic it has to be over 20 years old, but I think in 20 years these cars will still be desirable if in good condition.

Acura RSX? Marauder? CTS-V? Lincoln LS? Those are all laughable cars that will not make it as a modern classic. The RX-7, maybe. The Firebird - I don't think one particular year would make it, if you're talking about the blue rimmed T/A. The LS1 based Camaros/Firebirds in general would make it.

maybe the RX7? Are you kidding? The third gen RX7 is the best sports car to ever come out of japan, period. The only thing better is the NSX, which is an exotic, and even then the NSX doesn't hold a candle to an RX7 when you throw proper tuning into the mix.

The CTS-V and Lincoln LS will be remembered simply because they're the first real domestic sports sedans that can be considered competitors to imports. The only thing that came close before they came along was the Taurus SHO, and you can't even compare the SHO to something like a BMW 5-series. THe CTS-V and Lincoln LS, you can. The Mercury Marauder is a limited edition vehicle, which means it will be desirable in 20 years, whether you happen to like it or not. The Acura RSX is Honda's finest offering to the small sport coupe market EVER, to say it wont be desirable in 20 years is just foolish.

As someone said earlier, the 2002 Firebird will be desirable because it's the last year of production. What a lot of people don't understand about the Firebird is that it is the only pony car that made it all the way to 2002 without stopping production or, like in the case of the mustang, turning it into a rebadged econobox. It's a piece of American history, and the 4th Gen Firebirds WILL be desirable, horrible looking interiors and all.

The CTS-V and LS are foolish attempts at trying to beat the BMW 3/5ish series. Limited Edition? More like "no one is buying them" Edition. It's a disappointment and Ford/Mercury knows it, based off the sales numbers. Until Ford stuffs the cast iron block 4.6 in, it's just a bad attempt at a fast, full size 4 door car. The 05 Crown Vics are probably going to get the same 300hp DOHC engine in it anyway. RSX is just another small sports coupe, it's not anything close to being special. If you're going to pick a sports car by Honda that will be remembered, it's the S2K.

It's funny you talk about the Firebird not being a rebadged econobox. Maybe you should redefine your definition of econobox.

Do you know what you're talking about? The CTS-V is FAAAAAAR from a "foolish attempt" to target the BMW 3/5. Most people are going nuts over this car. They'll sell all of the limited number of them that they produce, and they will absolutely still be desireable in 20 years.

C'DaleRider

Jan 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Brutuskend
Add MR2 to the list!

Gotta laugh at that one......while watching the Barrett-Jackson Classic Auto auction on Speed over the weekend, the commentators said they'd received a lot of emails wanting to know how much this or that Japanese "modern classic" would be worth. The MR2 was one of the most mentioned......and their response was........a $2000 car is and always will be worth $2000. The MR2 was cranked out in such volume that it will probably have no collector value at all.....too many around, among other things.

Interestingly, I don't remember any Japanese cars on the block there.......there were some modern era American and Euros.....'90's versions, but no Japanese.

Red

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2002
Toyota Supra
LS1 Camaros / Firebirds
Mazda Miata
Corvette
Cobra

Cars that are too exoctic or too mass produced will not be known as classics. The miata + f-bodies had a large volume but they will be known in 20 years.

Kenazo

Lifer
Sep 15, 2000
I hate to even mention them, but perhaps some of these millions of mini-vans will be amoung the modern classics. They have redifined transportation for a huge chunk of people. They will never be classics like an old Mustang is, but they will be classics that people will want to own b/c they remind them of their childhood.

TheAudit

Diamond Member
May 2, 2003
3rd Gen Mazda RX7
Mercury Marauder
Acura RSX
Caddilac CTS-V
Lincoln LS

My father has an LS and when I think of it quality does not come to mind. It's not a bad car, it handles great for it's size, the V-8 makes the right noises, it's the build quality that was sub-par. Minor trim pieces have just fallen off. It's been in the shop quite a few times. And the resale value is quite low. But Lincoln does sell quite a few copies of it (overpriced as it may be today). And it is a car that I wanted to like but it just doesn't quite generate the love.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Originally posted by: DougK62
3rd Gen Mazda RX7
Mercury Marauder
Acura RSX
Caddilac CTS-V
Lincoln LS

Do you know what you're talking about? The CTS-V is FAAAAAAR from a "foolish attempt" to target the BMW 3/5. Most people are going nuts over this car. They'll sell all of the limited number of them that they produce, and they will absolutely still be desireable in 20 years.

oops - didn't realize we were talking about the V, just thought it was the normal Caddy CTS.

grrl

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2001
Originally posted by: SSibalNom
mid 90's impala SS
every Z that has ever come out

I meant to mention both of those, especially the early Zs.

Buickbeast

Platinum Member
Feb 9, 2003
Originally posted by: C'DaleRider
Originally posted by: Brutuskend
Add MR2 to the list!

Gotta laugh at that one......while watching the Barrett-Jackson Classic Auto auction on Speed over the weekend, the commentators said they'd received a lot of emails wanting to know how much this or that Japanese "modern classic" would be worth. The MR2 was one of the most mentioned......and their response was........a $2000 car is and always will be worth $2000. The MR2 was cranked out in such volume that it will probably have no collector value at all.....too many around, among other things.

Interestingly, I don't remember any Japanese cars on the block there.......there were some modern era American and Euros.....'90's versions, but no Japanese.

I watched alot of the auction too. Of course the experts on the Barrett-Jackson auction said the only cars from the last twenty years that will be deserable are the Buick Grand National and the corvette ZR-1.

GreenGhost

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
What in hell is a Marauder? Check the prices of a nice '90 Miata and you will see it's already a classic.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
RSX? You're kidding...right?
Marauder? Underpowered and (relatively slow)
LS? LOL!!!
CTS-V? That mofo isn't even out yet!!!

My list:

Mazda Miata
Ferrari F40
3rd gen RX7
McLaren F1 -- nuff said
Ferrari 355 Berlinetta/360 Modena
1994 Dodge Ram
The ORIGINAL Ford Taurus
The ORIGINAL Jeep Cherokee
The ORIGINAL Ford Explorer

That is all. Can't think of any other vehicles that have been as significant to their respective markets.