What car do you drive?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
Ouch, that doesn't sound good. I was eyeing either an XF-S or maybe stepping up to an XJ.

I hate that the XJ is heavier/bigger than the XF but for the most part powered by the same engine. The V8 is stupidly expensive and puts it in a pricw range it cannot compete.

Another fun example of Jaguar quality control... my rear passenger door fell off its hinge. Seriously. My 5 year old closed the door and it falls off hinge.

WhoBeDaPlaya

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
I hate that the XJ is heavier/bigger than the XF but for the most part powered by the same engine. The V8 is stupidly expensive and puts it in a pricw range it cannot compete.

Another fun example of Jaguar quality control... my rear passenger door fell off its hinge. Seriously. My 5 year old closed the door and it falls off hinge.
Well, coming from the LS (~3,900lbs, 3.9L -> ~290HP), I probably wouldn't notice as much.

Also, LOLWTF!
Maybe time to change tracks to a Caddy -V to get an LS engine in a lux package.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009

So? You 1%ers just call the Bugatti dealership, right?

kidding...

Seriously though, Corolla...last your 5 y.o. through college. But you know that.

How's the self employed business?

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
So? You 1%ers just call the Bugatti dealership, right?

kidding...

Seriously though, Corolla...last your 5 y.o. through college. But you know that.

How's the self employed business?

crazy busy. have 2 trials in july so a bit underwater. can't complain - gotta pay those gas bills somehow.

madoka

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2004
You missed my twenty-five year old Miata? It's older than a 2000 Acura ;)
Just about to hit 180k.

Not even close to my 95 Maxima with 380,000 miles that I bought when new.

2u7ovop.jpg

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
You missed my twenty-five year old Miata? It's older than a 2000 Acura ;)
Just about to hit 180k.

I missed your post. Looks like you are the oldest car driver here by far. I'm in the top 5 lol

I don't see this Acura dying for a while, that's for sure. Honda is the best - (knock on wood)

BStorm

Nov 15, 2016
2004 Chevrolet Venture LWB, 125K miles. Owned 2 years. Handy hauler (massive cargo space), general use vehicle.
2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP, 87K miles. Owned almost 9 years. Road trip / commuter / go fast vehicle.

Would like to eventually upgrade to something newer, but the lack of car payments for the last 5 years (van paid in cash) keeps me from pulling the trigger.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
I drive the pride of the fleet. A 1997 Ford Explorer with just shy of 200k miles. She's tried and true for sure and gets me where I need to go.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
2015 corolla. Great car so far.

Wife drives a 2011 impala, the corolla is too weak sauce for her taste

Ps, I dislike the impala mechanically, but it rides like a cloud.

chitwood

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2008
me: 2010 Mitsubishi Endeavor SUV
wife: 2011 Nissan Rogue

We are not flashy. Haven't had a car payment in ~2 years, which is by far the best "feature" of our cars at the moment.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
We've got a lot of road trips planned and with two kids and a weeks worth of luggage the Camry was getting a touch cramped for 8+ hour drives. Traded it in for a new family truckster. Have a Pacifica now. Basically looks like this...last trip I got over 500 miles out of 16.5 gallons of gas doing between 75 & 85MPH. That's even better than the Camry it replaced. I'm impressed!

My wife has a 2013 C-Max hybrid we carpool with a majority of the time.

Chrysler-Pacifica-2017-1600-2a.jpg

Uppsala9496

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 2001
2015 Infiniti Q50 awd with about 33,000 miles on it.
Wife drives a 2014 Infiniti QX60 hybrid with about 40,000 miles on it.
Both paid for.

I get the itch every now and then to look into something totally impractical like the miata rf. I commute about 50 miles a day. Living in the chicagoland area, I can't justify a fair weather only car - but I can justify a pontoon boat and sea-doo...

Feneant2

Golden Member
May 26, 2004
I drive a 2010 Kia Forte... I don't like it but it's long paid for and I don't feel the need to replace it. Wife says I need a nice little coupe, but I am too frugal to cough up 500-600$ a month for a car.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
We've got a lot of road trips planned and with two kids and a weeks worth of luggage the Camry was getting a touch cramped for 8+ hour drives. Traded it in for a new family truckster. Have a Pacifica now. Basically looks like this...last trip I got over 500 miles out of 16.5 gallons of gas doing between 75 & 85MPH. That's even better than the Camry it replaced. I'm impressed!

I really hope that they get the self-driving stuff working soon...a minivan with a 500+ mile range & highway self-driving (plus a 5-minute refuel system, unlike EV's which require a far longer time to charge) would be ridiculously awesome for family road trips!

My dream is to someday have a Tesla RV with Autopilot. I want to go to sleep in the back & wake up at Disney the next day :D

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
Ughh... I just checked my lease agreement on the Jaguar and I am gonna get screwed hard.

9 months left on the 33 month lease, 12,000 miles per year, and I am already over 28,000 miles. $.30/mile overage. The current buyout is $10k over the trade-in value. Not a lot of good options at this point other than bend over at lease end and pay the overage charge. I'm guessing it's doubtful that any other manufacturer would offer me a deal to get out of this lease to put me in one of their cars.

Reactions: WhoBeDaPlaya

Cappuccino

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2013
Off topic what are the cons and pros financing a car? For example car worth 25k Sterlings and I deposit 5k and pay £240 every month for 37 months. When contract end I pay 8k if I want to keep the car? Is this worth doing? On paper, it is better to deposit max if you can afford the big deposit? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Off topic what are the cons and pros financing a car? For example car worth 25k Sterlings and I deposit 5k and pay £240 every month for 37 months. When contract end I pay 8k if I want to keep the car? Is this worth doing? On paper, it is better to deposit max if you can afford the big deposit? Correct me if I'm wrong.

The best way to buy a car is to pay cash because that costs the least. Financing a car (unless you get a stellar 0% financing deal) will cost you more long-term. Leasing a car will cost you money every month, forever, as long as you are leasing. The only thing that is "best" is what your financial situation & personal goals dictate. A lot of people look at leasing as throwing money away, but I leased for about 10 years & don't regret it at all...a lower, fixed monthly price that fit my budget & a new car every few years that didn't have anything major break so there were never any huge unexpected car-repair expenses really fit me well.

It also depends on what you like to do with your money. If you're buying a $25k car and you put $10k down, your monthly payment will be a lot lower. However, you can also take that $10k and invest it to grow bigger or keep it for a rainy day, like if some emergency comes up in your health or something. Generally, most people put a decent down-payment on their car in order to achieve a monthly loan number that fits their budget.