What book(s) are you reading right now?

Page 39 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Most Dangerous: Daniel Ellsberg and the Secret History of the Vietnam War
Book by Steve Sheinkin

Audio book. Love being able to freely DL Audio books from my public library.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Love to hear about the first two thebobo.

My books are:

The Secret Team by L. Fletcher Prouty
Watergate: The Hidden History by Lamar Waldron
One Man Alone (Nixon) by Tim Weiner
A book about the history of Fidel Castro's secret intelligence by Brian Latrell
The Assassination of John F. Kennedy: The Reasons Why by Albert Newman
Meaning to get to "This Changes Everything" by the wonderful Naomi Klein

DainBramaged

Lifer
Jun 19, 2003
Joyland by Steven King
Just finished the book and it was ok. It is a short 288 page murder mystery / coming of age story with a dash of the supernatural set in an amusement park in the early 70s.

I liked it quite a bit. It was an easy, fun King book.

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
Just finished Revival by Stephen King.

Overall I really liked it. Like many (most?) King books however the ending leaves a little to be desired. I generally read King for the ride and not the destination however and as usual he delivered.

Spydermag68

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2002
Stephen King's Gunslinger series crosses over into a lot of his other books in little ways. You can read the series with or without reading the other books, but it is fun to recognize when it happens.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
East of the Sun, and West of the Moon A collection of Norwegian fairy tales.

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
Stephen King's Gunslinger series crosses over into a lot of his other books in little ways. You can read the series with or without reading the other books, but it is fun to recognize when it happens.

Unfortunately I cannot recommend the Dark Tower series to anyone. While the first several novels are quite good, the later ones turn into a train wreck and the ending is pretty awful IMHO. It was probably the most disappointing thing I read since Stephenson's The Diamond Age.

Last edited:

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Just finished " when breath becomes air" story of a neurosurgeon who died of lung cancer at age 37. Beautifully written, I wept at the loss the world has suffered, the man was brilliant.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Finished The New Tsar: The Rise and Reign of Vladimir Putin a little bit ago. I thought it was an excellent book and sheds some light on the man, though nothing in it really surprised me about him. Still, I recommend it.

So I just got With Our Backs to Berlin: The German Army in Retreat 1945 for Kindle since it's been on my Amazon Wishlist for awhile. I REQUIRE HISTORY
Finished "Our Backs to Berlin." It was alright. I guess for whatever reason I thought it was a "normal" history book but this one was composed of first-hand accounts of German soliders who were there. Pretty neat but I didn't find it nearly as good as a typical history book by say Max Hastings.

Currently I'm reading The Modern Mercenary: Private Armies and What They Mean for World Order. Quite interesting so far and it's written by a former contractor.

For audiobooks, I gave up on the Wool series. I liked the story and stuff enough, but I have the Audible version and I hated the voices of the person reading it. The females ones were fine but I thought her male voices were so frickin horrible it was distracting. I think I'll just pick up the Kindle version of this and I'll enjoy it.

So now on Audible I'm listening to Inside the Nazi War Machine: How Three Generals Unleashed Hitler's Blitzkrieg Upon the World. So far it's great. The author looks at the campaign in the West in 1940 and focuses particularly on strategy and not just history or what units were involved and what happened. I loves it.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Finished the PMC book. It was decent but I was anticipating finishing it so I could find something else to read. I happened to look up one of my favorite SHTF/prepper series and found that a new third book was just released so I was excited about that! Legion of Despair (book 3 of Borrowed World series).

"Inside the Nazi War Machine" was excellent on Audible. LOVED it. I'm now on to Whirlwind: The American Revolution and the War That Won It on Audible. It's definitely detailed and in depth, but I like it so far.

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
An ULTRA rare and absolute obscure book
"The Vertical Plane, The Mystery of the Dodleston Messages" by Ken Webster.

It's about alleged messages from the 15th century someone claims having to received on a BBC Micro computer in the UK, mid 80s. Not only they did receive alleged messages of a parallel world/time from some 15th century guy, they also received messages allegedly from a group called "2109" claiming they are doing some type of time-experiment.

https://mercuriuspoliticus.wordpress.com/2010/11/01/ghost-in-the-machine/

Last edited:

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Just finished "Leonard: My Fifty-Year Friendship with a Remarkable Man" by David Fisher and William Shatner. I had no idea how many different and varied artistic endeavors Leonard Nimoy had taken on throughout his lifetime. He was a talented guy in many respects. I enjoyed the book.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
An ULTRA rare and absolute obscure book
"The Vertical Plane, The Mystery of the Dodleston Messages" by Ken Webster.

It's about alleged messages from the 15th century someone claims having to received on a BBC Micro computer in the UK, mid 80s. Not only they did receive alleged messages of a parallel world/time from some 15th century guy, they also received messages allegedly from a group called "2109" claiming they are doing some type of time-experiment.

https://mercuriuspoliticus.wordpress.com/2010/11/01/ghost-in-the-machine/

huh, never heard of that before. its so ridiculous and unbelievable too.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I'm halfway through kings "end of watch" . It's a decent book and I liked the trilogy a lot.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Last edited:

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Slowly working through Arthur Koestler's Darkness at Noon. I have such a hard time getting in to fiction.