What are you playing nowadays? Share yo' thoughts.

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Grinding through Wolfenstein: The New Order on PC.
The cut scenes are a bit too long for my liking, reminds me of Far Cry 3 & 4 that stuff. Also capped at 60fps...
But overall, an interesting challenge. Keeps one young n' healthy! :)

The new Wolf Games (except Youngbloods which I haven't played but heard takes several steps back from the mainline entries) are modern FPS classics. Such strong Narrative based single player FPS campaigns feel like a breath of fresh air in our multiplayer or bust zeitgeist.

Play The Old Blood and The New Colossus. Both superb games as well.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Bioshock Infinite can be played at most once every three years, and only if you can put up with the plethora of cutscenes.

Great game, but I doubt I will play it again. The actual gameplay was lousy and it lacks any of the freedom to build your character or sense of exploration that the first two had.

I'm replaying Deus Ex Mankind Divided now, which is the polar opposite. This game has an amazing world and some of the best level design in any game ever. It's let down by a half-finished main quest, but doing everything in the game can easily take 80+ hours.

Last edited:

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
I'm an avid Turn-Based Strategy games fan, i recently beat "Disciples: Liberation" on Hard difficulty which is a great game but it was so LOOOOOONG, too long, they could've easily cut the last 20% of the game, it added nothing except a boss fight.

now i'm playing the PC port of "Disgaea 5: Complete Edition" and while i loved previous Disgaea games, this one is just not fun. i heard 6 came out recently too, i might abandon 5 and go to it.

Zor Prime

Nov 7, 1999
I'm 40+ hours into Symphony of War: The Nephilim Saga.

It reminds me of Shining Force, Tactics Ogre and Advance Wars mixed into one.

Totally into this game. Savoring every moment of it. I spend probably half my time building out my squads.

Did I mention I freaking love being able to switch between my PC and Steamdeck effortlessly and flex those cloud saves? Hell yeah.

But since it's probably a RPG Maker game with custom assets it leaves a lot of visual fidelity to be desired.

So I've also finally just started Horizon Zero Dawn to leverage my 3090 + 48" LG C1 OLED TV I use as a monitor to get that GFX fix.

Hotrod2go

Nov 17, 2021
The new Wolf Games (except Youngbloods which I haven't played but heard takes several steps back from the mainline entries) are modern FPS classics. Such strong Narrative based single player FPS campaigns feel like a breath of fresh air in our multiplayer or bust zeitgeist.

Play The Old Blood and The New Colossus. Both superb games as well.
A problem (at least to me) is that The New Order had too many cut scenes in it, also it didn't run well on my system - choppy in parts & inconsistent fps despite it being capped at 60.
On the other hand though, just started The Old Blood & so far it is consistent 60fps. Not sure why, they are both built on the same id tech 5 engine.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Currently I've been playing through The Outer Worlds. How i skipped over this one is beyond me, it's really good albeit small in scale.
I missed it too and picked it up during the PSN July summer sale. Apparently a free upgrade is coming out in September for PS5 so I'll wait until then to play.

I've been playing a bit of No Man's Sky lately since I never touched it when it originally came out because of all the issues it had.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Currently I've been playing through The Outer Worlds. How i skipped over this one is beyond me, it's really good albeit small in scale.

-Just started this one as well. Sort of Obsidian's Bethsoft style open world spinoff series.

My understanding is the game is more a proof of concept of something bigger to come and to approach and enjoy it in that context.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014

Does it play like an Obsidian Fallout game? Really hope we got more games like Fallout New Vegas now that Microsoft owns both Obsidian and Bethesda.

Hotrod2go

Nov 17, 2021
Surprised how short Wolfenstein: The Old Blood was in main campaign.
But moving on to next instalment in the series (The New Colussus) & I'm impressed with how much of a difference the id tech 6 engine is. Although only 30 mins into it, its the fist time I've ever seen a game at 1440p/144Hz ultra settings use nearly 14GB of Vram!

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Does it play like an Obsidian Fallout game? Really hope we got more games like Fallout New Vegas now that Microsoft owns both Obsidian and Bethesda.

- Still on the starting planet, but its a weird game and so far it feels like if you expect Fallout NV you're gonna be disappointed.

Its like a really weird genre mash-up: Its got a sort of western/bioshock vibe to it thanks to the "old timey talk" everyone seems to use, a sort of Mass Effect vibe thanks to the space theme, a No Man's Sky vibe thanks to the aggressively vibrant and poppy color scheme and alien flora and fauna, a sort of mildly generic TES vibe thanks to the sort of open "loot everything" environements, a sort of Borderlands vibe with how enemies move and the general gunplay.

Its also a really bizarrely calming, gentle game to play. The graphics are so soft and gentle, the voices are so smooth and calm, the music is so lulling and just permeates everything with a sort of diffused calm. I play the game at night and honestly it feels like its getting me ready for bed more than anything else.

Its one of those games thats fun to play, but its never really gripping and nothing about it screams "think about me all day and come back and play as soon as you come home"

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
-Just started this one as well. Sort of Obsidian's Bethsoft style open world spinoff series.

My understanding is the game is more a proof of concept of something bigger to come and to approach and enjoy it in that context.
Same team from Fallout New Vegas I read. It plays really closely to that.

MoragaBlue

Jul 17, 2022
Been playing Doom Eternal & God of War on PC.

Going to start Elden Ring this weekend. But, before starting Elden Ring, I'm trying to decide whether to start with keyboard & mouse or a controller.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm playing Skyrim again.... But not what you think (i.e. not the re-re-release 10th anniversary edition, but the original+DLC release and mods). I am thinking I should try the anniversary edition before I get more into this playthrough. Surprising enough, I don't think I ever beat the main storyline, and I never sided with the stormcloaks in the playthroughs I did previously (always felt like the game wanted you to go that path given the opening sequence making you essentially hate the empire because they were going to kill you, so I wanted to do the opposite of what the game seemed to push me toward).

I already made my uber equipment and it is simply a matter of me going though the game and exploring at this point (I am not running mods to "fix" game mechanics like restoration/enchanting/smithing loops so I have weapons and armor now that one shot anything and effectively give me infinite health (my passive regen is faster than 10 giants and mammoths attacking me all at once without me even blocking).

Reactions: Elfear

Hotrod2go

Nov 17, 2021
Just chipping in to say the id tech 6 engine is one of the most fabulous game engines I've ever used. Smooth as silk @ 1440p/144hz on Ultra settings in Wolfenstein II: The New Colussus.
So smooth in fact I can afford to downclock my cpu & ram without any loss of performance whatsoever!
Just wish this engine was used in FO4 & Skyrim special edition. :)

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Witcher 3
I had it since it first came out, and decided to try it again on the Steam deck.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Witcher 3
I had it since it first came out, and decided to try it again on the Steam deck.

- Still sleeping on this one till CDproject rolls out an "enhanced edition" and bundles all the DLC into a free update.

Its just too damn big of a game to play through the base game once then hope to ever play through again to see the supposedly fantastic DLC content.

I plan on one monster 100 hour playthrough then never touch the thing again.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
- Still sleeping on this one till CDproject rolls out an "enhanced edition" and bundles all the DLC into a free update.

Its just too damn big of a game to play through the base game once then hope to ever play through again to see the supposedly fantastic DLC content.

I plan on one monster 100 hour playthrough then never touch the thing again.

100 hours won't get you through Witcher 3 and its DLC. I think my playthrough was like 380 hours.

• Wow
Reactions: Muadib