What are you playing now? [Chat + Discussions]

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GibbyPruchesi

Jan 18, 2019
Just getting into Destiny 2, seems pretty cool so far, seems similar to Borderlands and I was looking for something similar.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Ghost Recon:Wildlands - going through campaign with a friend in co-op 1-2 times a week.
Rust on a PVE server (that has a PVP Purge for 2 days before every wipe)
Metro 2033 Redux

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
In addition to my previously mentioned RDR2 and FO76, I picked up Escape from Tarkov a couple days ago. I've known about it for years and in fact could've sworn I had already purchased it, but there was no record of my account with the email address I would've certainly used to create it. So I dunno. Anyway I've only played one match so far and got domed pretty soon after starting; I just lol'd. I'm guessing that'll be a harbinger of what's to come for me but oh well.

And I kinda forgot about Call of Duty WWII until the person a few posts ago mentioned it. I've started the single player campaign (no interest in multiplayer) but still need to continue that. With all these games I have I only actually play a couple hours a week total so I don't exactly get very far in anything.

miss.geek

Jan 30, 2019
To begin with, life is not fair.

When I was a child, I wanted to be an adult. 'I will play all the time when I grow up and no one will forbid me' - I thought.

Oh yeah, I am playing. I am playing the worst simulator ever with good graphics, but silliest missions ever. Its name is Life.

And. Adults don't have time to play - they have to work to survive by paying bills and buying foods, and their friends have families, so team games are forbidden too.

I have no time to start something big. I wanna feel a game, not 'play an hour today and an hour tomorrow and have the whole month of those hours'.

That is why I am playing only Minecraft and GTA now. I do it to relax, not to 'feel' the game and live it through.

One day I'll have my vacation. My vacation for games, totally playing vacation.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Was playing COD WII but finally couldn't take the massive amount of hacking going on nowadays. Makes it unplayable.
Running through single player campaigns in BF1 and BF5 now that I upgraded the vid card.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Playing Dark Age of Camelot on Phoenix server, some nice QOL improvements, faster leveling, usually about 3,000 people playing.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Just completed a run through of Torchlight (just the regular campaign, went through the first floor of the Shadow Vault).

Solid Diablo-like that is the most faithful reproduction of the core concepts of Diablo 1 I have ever seen with some major quality of life improvements (a pet to always have something to aggro, extra inventory space, run to town and sell items). Makes sense given the game is the baby of the folks who put together the superb Diablo 1 and Diablo 2.

Long and short of it is you descend downward into a procedurally generated dungeon that has 4-5 major templates, ocassionally doing runs in alternate scaled dungeons accessed by killing Phase beasts, purchasing maps, or completing alternate quests. Not much of a story to speak of other than "seek out the evil beneath the town".

Played the game as a summoner mage, but focused on ranged weapons as opposed to magic. The game was remarkably forgiving with this weird cross class set-up and deaths never felt cheap or unfair. Felt great rolling through waves of enemies as a high crit sniper with a ton of minions to provide cover.

Graphics have that soft cartoon-ish early WOW look to them and although I didn't play the game on a netbook, the fact that a "netbook mode" is part of the setting suggests this game could be run on a potato.

Great game to play while you're trying to watch a show or just want to keep your clicking finger exercised as the game really does not require much attention, especially with a small army of minions.

Decided to try yet again to play through Metro 2033 after all the recent hooplah about Metro Exodus. Just not so much a fan of the dark dingy atmosphere, claustrophobic settings and "scrounge for ammo" shooters, so my continued enjoyment is heavily dependent on the story and any changes in the setting.

GibbyPruchesi

Jan 18, 2019
Well, Destiny 2 got boring fast. I was playing without the expansions so I could only play till level 20 and my buddy also stopped. I guess I prefer warframe, more baddies to shoot and more stuff to do. Been also playing Heroes of the Storm a bit, lol and dota are too much for me with all the items and strategies, hots is super easy to get into though. Doesn't feel dead yet, I hope it lasts for a while at least. Anyone else playing it?

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
Path of Exile is now taking up all of my game time.
i registered back in 2013, played a little, didn't get into it very much. now, in 2019 this game is freaking amazing.
if you like ARPGs, diablos, grim dawns, titan quests, torchlights, PoE just blows them all out of the water.
it is complex and there is a learning curve, but the gameplay is very rewarding and there are a lot of things to do in the game besides the main story line.
completely free to play and no p2w micro-transactions, only stash space (pretty much mandatory if you want to play seriously) and cosmetics.
i never buy cosmetics, but this time i went out of my way and spent 20$ on a pack with stash space and a box, the developers absolutely deserve it.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
^Yea PoE was taking some time away from my backlog as well... except now I'm stuck on act IV or V and I can't get back into it for some reason.

Started up Metro LL now that I moved from the two 980's to a 1080, unsure if I'll actually finish it before jumping into Exodus though.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
Path of Exile is now taking up all of my game time.
i registered back in 2013, played a little, didn't get into it very much. now, in 2019 this game is freaking amazing.
if you like ARPGs, diablos, grim dawns, titan quests, torchlights, PoE just blows them all out of the water.
it is complex and there is a learning curve, but the gameplay is very rewarding and there are a lot of things to do in the game besides the main story line.
completely free to play and no p2w micro-transactions, only stash space (pretty much mandatory if you want to play seriously) and cosmetics.
i never buy cosmetics, but this time i went out of my way and spent 20$ on a pack with stash space and a box, the developers absolutely deserve it.

I tried PoE donkeys ago and kept coming across other players, I found that put me off. I like to play the story solo and then go MP and this quasi MP stuff is not my cup of tea. Don't know if it's still like that.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I never ran into other players outside of the hub areas... was actually wondering if I had a network setting disabled or something.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
I never ran into other players outside of the hub areas... was actually wondering if I had a network setting disabled or something.
PoE is like GuildWars. Only the hub cities have uninvited people around, and even those areas are limited to a certain number of players, after which they spawn a new copy of the hub city.

The part I don't like about PoE, is that those in the standard version that have played a long time, have a huge advantage with dealing with the economy and the only way to gear up is by trading. Trading that has to be taken care of on a 3rd party site. You can play on the new beta like versions (forget what they called them now), but those who play a bunch and level up first, get a large advantage too. The last thing that is a bit annoying, is how inventory management is like. It's definitely designed to overload you, forcing you to purchase more storage space. Just look at that as the purchase of the game. The game might appear free, but it is definitely a minimum of ~$30-$50 if you want to keep sane.

The game is fun, but it's not perfect either.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
Still play a bit of POE from time to time but still trying to stay away. Game is too addictive.

Right now I'm playing a bit of FO4, GTAV Online, Anno 1404, NorthGuard, FO76, and ACO. Really thinking about picking up Anthem this weekend. I have a friend playing and he loves it. He can't stop talking about it which makes me want to play lol.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I decided to install some more of my Steam games recently (some of which I bought months, and in a few cases even more than a year ago without ever installing them).

So I went with my usual "Let's at least start up each games once", to get rid of the 'first startup' initial prerequisites installation thing. Sometimes when I do that I start up a new game out of curiosity. I ended up playing Bayonetta a bit longer than I thought I would. I actually never played that game before (I have zero knowledge of the franchise, except by name and obviously character appearance due to over-exposure in gaming media).

I'll definitely have to use my controller though, that much I sort of expected it; but now it's more clear than ever. Once I get used to the controls I think I might play it a lot more, looks fun, fast and flashy; gives me some Beat 'em Up vibes (but way more stylized and obviously modernized; not that it's always a good thing but in this case it seems to be well done).

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
I decided to install some more of my Steam games recently (some of which I bought months, and in a few cases even more than a year ago without ever installing them).

So I went with my usual "Let's at least start up each games once", to get rid of the 'first startup' initial prerequisites installation thing. Sometimes when I do that I start up a new game out of curiosity. I ended up playing Bayonetta a bit longer than I thought I would. I actually never played that game before (I have zero knowledge of the franchise, except by name and obviously character appearance due to over-exposure in gaming media).

I'll definitely have to use my controller though, that much I sort of expected it; but now it's more clear than ever. Once I get used to the controls I think I might play it a lot more, looks fun, fast and flashy; gives me some Beat 'em Up vibes (but way more stylized and obviously modernized; not that it's always a good thing but in this case it seems to be well done).
This has an interesting conversation. I've found myself resistant to start playing new games simply because I don't feel like going through the trouble of setting up my G13 keys and/or learning the UI layout. I wonder how often this slows people down from switching between new games. Way back in the day, UI and controls were way simpler. Now that they are more complex, they are more daunting to start and put in the initial investment than in the past.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Just got into the closed beta for Kards. It's a... well... card game, somewhat like that Clash Royle mobile game if you've played that. I completed the short tutorial last night and started my first game (I chose the Soviet deck, and the Brits as my enemy) and got fairly rekt.

It just seemed like my cards were feces compared to the British; they'd come out with powerful cards at just the right time. Bah. But it was only my first game. I like it cause it's more relaxing and something different.

I was accepted only a few days after submitting my email for closed beta so if it looks interesting then give it a shot!

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Just beat the campaign for Battlefield: Bad Company 2.

I played countless hours of BC2 + its expansion Vietnam multiplayer back in the game's heyday and never took the time to follow the story of the game's namesake: a misfit squad of smartass soldiers in way over their heads.

For anyone unfamiliar with BC2's gameplay: its basically a straight up and down military shooter with some of the best large map + vehicles + truly destructible environments ever made. The end of a MP match had a battlefield that was largely devoid of any real cover after everything and anything had been blown to pieces by grenades, heavy machine gun fire, RPGs, tank shells, missiles and everything else you can imagine.

The game's campaign had a largely disappointing plot that has probably been recycled a thousand times before in genre fiction of some ex-soviet/KGB type trying to bring Russia back to its former glory *blah* *blah* *blah* with a semi interesting sci-fi twist (the Russians had found an old Imperial Japanese experiment with a reusable super-weapon and of course were going to use it against freedom and apple pie and such) but the real heart of the game lies with the wisecracking squad of misfits and their helicopter pilot ( "****ing Tuesdays man, I can never get my **** together on Tuesdays") largely composed of tropes themselves (A sargent who's about to retire, A geeky computer nerd, a loud mouth Texan, a hippie/pacifist, and your character who's a bit more of a straight man).

I was disappointed the campaign didn't take a more "Crysis" approach to level construction given the Frostbyte engine's strengths with large open levels, instead funneling the player into extremely restrictive corridor shooter levels for much of the gameplay. The devs were certainly capable, with one standout level taking place in a desert graveyard for cargo ships, but the game quickly forces the player back into a very restrictive path.

If we were to get a sequel to the game, and I wouldn't mind one, it would be great to play up some of the more sci-fi/absurd elements of the story and gameplay and let the writers play with the characters they've created a bit more than just have another ho-hum Battlefield game. Something a bit more Red Alert.

I feel like I'm ready for something a bit more artsy or absurdist after playing through a military shooter. Given the recent release of DMC5 I might fire up the copy of DMC (2013). Also tempted to finally fire up Transistor, but I'm looking for something a bit more lighthearted right now. Warhammer 40K: Sphess Mahreen is another option to scratch that third person beat-em-up itch.

We'll see where the path leads...

Last edited:

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Bought and am currently playing OverWatch.After hearing about the new update i got excited and figured i had fun with the game before on a trial i think its certainly worth $20.Having paid twice as much for games before being a fraction of the fun,$20 seriously is as cheap as fun can be with many hours of it to boot.

I may try Apex Legends.I have a feeling given its a EA deal they may bust it up somehow somewhere in the future.My faith in EA has dwindled.Is this extremely bias or is Apex maybe a rare gem in a sea of f2p games?

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Just finished Evil Within 2. I really liked the story/presentation (how the story is presented). Only real negatives was the save system and unresponsive kb/m controls during combat. Specifically the game was kind of weird about allowing quick fire. There was a lock feature but it didn't seem to do much - maybe because of the difficulty setting. Still even with the grips on responsiveness I thought it was a great experience.
-
I've heard the pc controls (kb/m) are worse with the first game so I'll probably not play that but hopefully the next one will be even better.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
Since Outlaws of the old west released I have been totally dedicated to it. I'm still playing Warhorn with my friend once or twice a week but Outlaws of the Old West is the game for me.