What are you hoping goes on sale during the steam summer sale?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I don't know what else I could possibly need. All I'm really looking at is TL2 which definitely won't be on sale as a pre-order. Maybe if Super Street Fighter 4 goes on sale I'll grab it. It's had several sales recently but I was still hesitant.

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
Tropico is a great series. I think I picked up 1-3 for $10 on a sale, and I actually prefer 3 to the latest.

I'm hoping to see Prototype 2 @ > 50% off. I'm one of the few that loved the first, even with the extreme difficulty at times. Assassin's Creed Revelations would be nice to have also.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
Looks like the July 12th zealots were right, since the sale didn't start today. Damn you Gabe!

Found this on google images, relevant to last year but whatever:

12471089.jpg

mingsoup

Golden Member
May 17, 2006
Gal Civ 2
Titan Quest Gold
Civ 3
Alien versus Predator 1
Sacred 2 to come back. I want what I can't have.
I like this thread, gives me ideas. Love finding cheap games, I'd pass by.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Tropico is a great series. I think I picked up 1-3 for $10 on a sale, and I actually prefer 3 to the latest.

I'm hoping to see Prototype 2 @ > 50% off. I'm one of the few that loved the first, even with the extreme difficulty at times. Assassin's Creed Revelations would be nice to have also.

How deep is tropico? I like the idea of city builders, but to be honest they're usually too deep and difficult for me to consider fun anymore. All I really want is to build a city to make more money to make more city to make more money. I don't need all sorts of politics and such, or silly objectives that I have to meet that might not fit with my design.

AlexAL

Jan 23, 2008
I don't need all sorts of politics and such, or silly objectives that I have to meet that might not fit with my design.

There's sandbox mode and a god mode option and so on. I really, really liked this game.

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
How deep is tropico? I like the idea of city builders, but to be honest they're usually too deep and difficult for me to consider fun anymore. All I really want is to build a city to make more money to make more city to make more money. I don't need all sorts of politics and such, or silly objectives that I have to meet that might not fit with my design.

Tropico is pretty forgiving. You won't find yourself after 10 years finding that all of a sudden you didn't make enough industry in the beginning, and there is nothing you can do to catch up so you go bankrupt.

However, it is a Dictator simulation, so politics is important. A big portion of the game is making sure the different factions are happy, like building schools to appease the intellectuals, and churches to appease the religious. Let the happiness of your citizens get too low, and they might become rebels, leave the island, or you may lose elections.

It never feels like a hamstringing mechanic though... you could make all your citizens live in shacks and build alot of jails and military buildings, or bribe, or even execute naysayers. Or, you could just simply try to provide better housing.

I bet you'd like the sandbox modes from your post... you can turn off rebels and elections and just build on numerous islands, both premade and random created.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
ARMA II Combined Ops. If it doesn't go on sale I'll just put off playing DayZ until ARMA III.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
There's really not much I'm considering lately.

Maybe Anno 2070 if it can go below $20... even then I would hesitate. There's not much, although I think that's probably because I'm just losing motivation to play games lately, it's just a temporary down. I find it difficult to just launch any games nowadays and I can't seem to have a minute-long attention span for any of them. I'll probably see it differently by this year's holidays when I actually care about buying games. To be honest I think this down I'm going through with gaming is a latent but still persisting post-ME3 disappointment feeling, along with the more recent Diablo III's own contribution to the boredom as a result.

Since a few months (especially since ME3), for any games I pretty much went from:

2gy4ktz.jpg

To:

8xkjnb.jpg

I'll wait until this holiday...

mingsoup

Golden Member
May 17, 2006
I won't buy Anno. I just won't. Not even if it's 5$. Ubisoft can choke on their own DRM.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
There's sandbox mode and a god mode option and so on. I really, really liked this game.

Tropico is pretty forgiving. You won't find yourself after 10 years finding that all of a sudden you didn't make enough industry in the beginning, and there is nothing you can do to catch up so you go bankrupt.

However, it is a Dictator simulation, so politics is important. A big portion of the game is making sure the different factions are happy, like building schools to appease the intellectuals, and churches to appease the religious. Let the happiness of your citizens get too low, and they might become rebels, leave the island, or you may lose elections.

It never feels like a hamstringing mechanic though... you could make all your citizens live in shacks and build alot of jails and military buildings, or bribe, or even execute naysayers. Or, you could just simply try to provide better housing.

I bet you'd like the sandbox modes from your post... you can turn off rebels and elections and just build on numerous islands, both premade and random created.

Hmm... might look at it more seriously then. I've seen it go on sale a lot and am always close to buying but then I worry when I see all of the stuff going on in the review vids of stuff to keep track of. That's what turned me off of the Civ games.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
Batman: Arkham City for me. I don't think it's been $14.99 or less on Steam. $9.99 would be great, but I'm thinking $14.99 is more realistic.

Feb 6, 2007
The Witcher 2
Max Payne 3

Those are the only games out right now that I'm remotely interested in, but that's because I've been taking advantage of all the Steam sales in the past 3 months and have a massive backlog of games to play through. I'll probably get Dawnguard when it comes out, and maybe check out some of the new Street Fighter games since I have an Xbox 360 controller for the PC now (I haven't played Street Fighter since Alpha 2 Gold).

Oooooh, they have Mortal Kombat 1, 2 and 3 (Ultimate) for $10! I might get that purely for nostalgia value.

Last edited:

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Trine 2 and Puzzle Quest 2. Of course, I know I'll end up buying more than two games.

wrbt

Oct 9, 2009
A good one to have in multiple account for guests is Nation Red. Is cheap, can do coop (I think even on one PC) and has pretty low learning curve just get in there and start blasting.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
The Witcher 2
Max Payne 3

Those are the only games out right now that I'm remotely interested in, but that's because I've been taking advantage of all the Steam sales in the past 3 months and have a massive backlog of games to play through. I'll probably get Dawnguard when it comes out, and maybe check out some of the new Street Fighter games since I have an Xbox 360 controller for the PC now (I haven't played Street Fighter since Alpha 2 Gold).

Oooooh, they have Mortal Kombat 1, 2 and 3 (Ultimate) for $10! I might get that purely for nostalgia value.

Max Payne 3 is 50% off on Amazon, and it comes with a Steam code and all DLC as well. I got it this way. I was frustrated that they force you to create a Social Club account and log into it to play though.

Feb 6, 2007
Max Payne 3 is 50% off on Amazon, and it comes with a Steam code and all DLC as well. I got it this way. I was frustrated that they force you to create a Social Club account and log into it to play though.
I already have a Social Club account, so that's no biggie. But MP3 is currently $39.99 at Amazon (33% off). I almost jumped on it a couple days ago for 50% off but I was waiting for my paycheck to come through. Apparently that deal is gone.