What are YOU growing in your gardens?!?!?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I've grown tomatoes every year for 25+ years. I have my plot all ready but no plants! I usually get a 6 pack of seedlings (Early Girl) sometime in March, but they didn't have them just before lockdown and now I'm not willing to leave the house to find some. My neighbor said to be going to Home Depot and will look for me, but that seems in limbo... I'm hoping for VOLUNTEERS!

I'm thinking about ordering tomato seeds off ebay but figure getting a decent crop this year going that route would be iffy.

I have mint growing in two pots, also cilantro in around 4 pots, some are volunteers.

I have a gigantic super healthy purple tree collard plant!

I usually grow kabocha squash (always) but haven't planted them... yet. I have around a dozen from last year sitting on my dining room table, cooked up a couple last night, making Moroccan pumpkin soup... in the fridge.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Plenty of room on a second floor balcony open to the air and enclosed on the other 3 sides and ceiling. But it gets no direct sunlight but lots of indirect sunlight. So thought someone could recommend plants for that condition. In San Diego CA. I could continue to look on the net but a poster may know first hand what grows in the shade. I'll go for just about anything that would survive or thrive even if it's just a planter of grass.
Could try some cilantro (coriander seeds are same plant, I buy them at local indy super market). They bolt to seed if they get much sunlight, but if indirect as you say, I'd think they wouldn't put up flowers. Once they flower they quickly become uninteresting food-wise. I like to have some on hand. You should be familiar with Mexican food living in San Diego, and cilantro is really important in their food. For instance, in salsa fresca. I grow cilantro in small pots. Try to always have some on hand. My pots that are out of direct sunlight have done very well this winter. Good luck!

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
WEEDS lots a weeds
I used Roundup for the first time in must be 7 years or so around a week ago on the profligate weeds in my back yard. Donned an N95 and took a shower after spraying a gallon. Seems to be maybe working. It's mainly grass weeds, but a bunch of other stuff. I was concerned about the negative aspects of using Roundup (that 250 million dollar suit against Monsanto, or something like that in the news the last few years). It's very unclear to me how dangerous Roundup is.

Denly

Golden Member
May 14, 2011
I've grown tomatoes every year for 25+ years. I have my plot all ready but no plants! I usually get a 6 pack of seedlings (Early Girl) sometime in March, but they didn't have them just before lockdown and now I'm not willing to leave the house to find some. My neighbor said to be going to Home Depot and will look for me, but that seems in limbo... I'm hoping for VOLUNTEERS!

I'm thinking about ordering tomato seeds off ebay but figure getting a decent crop this year going that route would be iffy.

I have mint growing in two pots, also cilantro in around 4 pots, some are volunteers.

You grow Tomato and herb in pots? How do you manage that? Everytime I have them in pots the yield were very bad, yes even herb looks half dead.

Denly

Golden Member
May 14, 2011
I have 1 blueberry brush from last year(I heard they need more than one hope it produces), a few raspberries from last year and about 60 garlic also from last year at about 3 leaf tall.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
You grow Tomato and herb in pots? How do you manage that? Everytime I have them in pots the yield were very bad, yes even herb looks half dead.
Well, cilantro and mint doing very very well in pots, yes.

Tomato, well, I'll explain. I do not "normally" grow tomato in pots (although I spotted a volunteer in a galvanized tub last year and it by far survived my other plants late in the year, which was a nice surprise!). It's possible to grow tomatoes in pots with phenomenal success, however. It it took me a few years to get the hang of growing tomatoes. My last digs I had some plants going in the spring and my landlord forced me out. Just before I moved, I explained to his son (who lived with him, and took over my digs, being a backyard cottage) how to care for the plants, which were very promising.

Now, in my new digs (here) I have gotten very very good at growing tomatoes. I credit much of my success to having read a book I found at my local library: Tomatoes, the Multi-plant method by Leo Klein. I photocopied that book on the library's own copy machine and still have it. I just looked up Leo Klein and found this:

Klein experimented with hydroponic gardening for a while and eventually developed a tomato growing method in planting into DIY containers, basically pots that he constructed out of materials you can easily get at a lumber yard, Home Depot, etc. His constructs are versatile, you could have one sitting on a balcony, out on a patio, etc. Or, alternatively, you could have one (or more) embedded in the ground, and I did that for a number of years. He plants 4 tomatoes, one in each corner of one of these square containers, stakes each plant (i.e. there are 4 stakes). He specifies what goes into the containers, e.g. peat moss, fertilizer, compost, continued regular fertilizing and watering methods, etc. He has strict pruning techniques. He grew over 100lb of tomatoes from each of these containers.

I adapted his methods and eventually went to a strip of soil instead of his containers, but his staking, pruning and soil composition techniques I largely maintain and I get fantastic crops regularly.

Last edited:

Denly

Golden Member
May 14, 2011
Well, cilantro and mint doing very very well in pots, yes.

Tomato, well, I'll explain. I do not "normally" grow tomato in pots (although I spotted a volunteer in a galvanized tub last year and it by far survived my other plants late in the year, which was a nice surprise!). It's possible to grow tomatoes in pots with phenomenal success, however. It it took me a few years to get the hang of growing tomatoes. My last digs I had some plants going in the spring and my landlord forced me out. Just before I moved, I explained to his son (who lived with him, and took over my digs, being a backyard cottage) how to care for the plants, which were very promising.

Now, in my new digs (here) I have gotten very very good at growing tomatoes. I credit much of my success to having read a book I found at my local library: Tomatoes, the Multi-plant method by Leo Klein. I photocopied that book on the library's own copy machine and still have it. I just looked up Leo Klein and found this:

Klein experimented with hydroponic gardening for a while and eventually developed a tomato growing method in planting into DIY containers, basically pots that he constructed out of materials you can easily get at a lumber yard, Home Depot, etc. His constructs are versatile, you could have one sitting on a balcony, out on a patio, etc. Or, alternatively, you could have one (or more) embedded in the ground, and I did that for a number of years. He plants 4 tomatoes, one in each corner of one of these square containers, stakes each plant (i.e. there are 4 stakes). He specifies what goes into the containers, e.g. peat moss, fertilizer, compost, continued regular fertilizing and watering methods, etc. He has strict pruning techniques. He grew over 100lb of tomatoes from each of these containers.

I adapted his methods and eventually went to a strip of soil instead of his containers, but his staking, pruning and soil composition techniques I largely maintain and I get fantastic crops regularly.

Thanks, will check it out. My biggest success was grow tomato in small pail from HD, drill a hold 2in up to act as water reser, it go very nice for 1/2 a season then start going down hill.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Been about a month and I thought I would bump this one back up. My wife harvested some of the radishes today and they taste GREAT. She also got the green beans, purple beans, lima beans, sweet corn, cucumber, garlic, and turnip seeds planted today.
Here's a pic of some of the radishes she harvested. Anyone else plant some cool weather crops that coming along?
ebzZ7Pi.jpg

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
We planted some radishes, but they're going S-L-O-W...
Carrots are just starting to break through...ane it's been at least 3 weeks. (We'vehad lots of cool weather)
Blueberries are doing well enough. Transplanted them about a month ago. Tomatoes in the greenhouse are doing pretty well, but I haven't been able to entice any bees to go in...so I guess I'm gonna have to pollinate with a brush. :confused:

A neighbor gave me some brussels sprouts starts. They're doing ok, but I THINK, it's teally the wrong time of year for them...we'll see.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Some indica and some other various healing/mending herbs, Its a part of my "faith" as a herbalist among other things. I can get Indica baby plants for $8 at local shop, i may grab some when my stimulus comes and get a heat lamp for them .They require special attention which i will have plenty of time to devote to. Would be my first time attempting to raise them.

I advocate the usage of Indica whenever for its pain and anxiety relief as i use it for such myself. I can't sleep without it these days not kidding cause of that thing that shall not be named sending my anxiety into overdrive. It's the worlds most powerful herb and one of the worlds oldest used ones.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Some indica and some other various healing/mending herbs, Its a part of my "faith" as a herbalist among other things. I can get Indica baby plants for $8 at local shop, i may grab some when my stimulus comes and get a heat lamp for them .They require special attention which i will have plenty of time to devote to. Would be my first time attempting to raise them.

I advocate the usage of Indica whenever for its pain and anxiety relief as i use it for such myself. I can't sleep without it these days not kidding cause of that thing that shall not be named sending my anxiety into overdrive. It's the worlds most powerful herb and one of the worlds oldest used ones.
:rolleyes:

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
I've been wanting to try my hand in gardening for some time now and thinking about building some raised planters. I'm wondering if it's too late here in the central valley to start with some tomatoes and maybe zuchini. Blueberries sound interesting though. IDK if we've got the right climate.

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
mango season getting into full swing here. best time of the year. We've got 12 - 15 trees loaded up so should be a fun next few months.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I've been wanting to try my hand in gardening for some time now and thinking about building some raised planters. I'm wondering if it's too late here in the central valley to start with some tomatoes and maybe zuchini. Blueberries sound interesting though. IDK if we've got the right climate.

IMO, based on living in the Modesto area for 25 years, you're a bit late...I always planted my gardens in March after the last chance of frost, but you should still have veggies ( tomatoes, peppers, zucchini) by late July/ early August. I almost always had maters by July 4th.

Blueberries will do fine there as long as you get the right varieties and amend the soil so it's at least slightly acidic. I grew blueberries in my back yard for years. i did have them planted so they got lots of morning sun, but were protected from the afternoon sun by a fence.

Reactions: thestrangebrew1

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Just got done harvesting some Earliserve beans, snow peas, green kale, and yellow granex onions and thought I would post a pic up.
It has been terribly dry here in Central Illinois so the garden is suffering a little bit. City water just isn't quit the same IMO. Anyway, hows everybody else's garden doing?

65CQatg.jpg

Reactions: mopardude87

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
My tomatoes are shit this year. First time ever growing them in a greenhouse...and they look like I got some kind of fungus-thing going on. I've sprayed them (thanks bhaag) but it doesn't seem to be helping. I have two stand- by plants that are in the flowering stage...but ai suspect I have more problems than just the fungus.
So far, one plant...the worst hit...has produced two tomatoes that grew decently and ripened..but no more flowers on the plant...and we have a couple of cherry tomato plants given to us by a neighbor...also doing poorly...that has produced about a dozen ripe maters.
We started jalapenos from seed in March...then planted them once they got past the seed leaf stage...they're still less than 2" tall. I bought a couple of plants at Home Depot...they're doing fine...with scads of small peppers growing.
(I really suspect it's a soil problem...bought it at a local garden center.)

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
My tomatoes are shit this year. First time ever growing them in a greenhouse...and they look like I got some kind of fungus-thing going on. I've sprayed them (thanks bhaag) but it doesn't seem to be helping. I have two stand- by plants that are in the flowering stage...but ai suspect I have more problems than just the fungus.
So far, one plant...the worst hit...has produced two tomatoes that grew decently and ripened..but no more flowers on the plant...and we have a couple of cherry tomato plants given to us by a neighbor...also doing poorly...that has produced about a dozen ripe maters.
We started jalapenos from seed in March...then planted them once they got past the seed leaf stage...they're still less than 2" tall. I bought a couple of plants at Home Depot...they're doing fine...with scads of small peppers growing.
(I really suspect it's a soil problem...bought it at a local garden center.)
Bummer man I was hoping you would be able to get that Septoria under control on the maters but like I mentioned in the PM it's a tough one. At least you have some peppers coming though it makes it a little more bearable.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Just shot this quick tour of the gardens if anyone is interested in seeing what we are growing this year. No pro editing or anything like that just me walking around with my phone.

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
Just shot this quick tour of the gardens if anyone is interested in seeing what we are growing this year. No pro editing or anything like that just me walking around with my phone.

That's no garden, that's a small farm you got there!

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I usually have great tomato harvests but pandemic prevented me from getting my usual 6 pack of early girl seedlings. Neighbor who's shopping for me bought me 4 inch pots of tomatoes. 10 in all, 1 early girl, 2 celebrity, 2 big beef, 4 ace, 1 cherry. I had high hopes for the early girl, put her in a BIG galvanized tub but she outright died! So did he Big Beefs and 2 of the Aces. My yard is kind of a madhouse. Instead of my usual big planting of kabochas I just let the volunteers grow and I try to keep them from overwhelming the tomatoes. I think I might have spotted one green tomato today showing a bit of a pink blush! Usually I have at least a dozen edible tomatoes for the 4th. Not this year, I just got those plants so late. It was warm enough to plant in late February, but just couldn't find the seedlings. Then the SIP started and it was too late for me to get them.

I have a HUMONGOUS purple tree collard plant. I have to inspire myself to do something with it. I eat some occasionally.

Then there are green onions in front of the house that I water daily, they're going to seed.

Also bunch of pots with mint or cilantro. I'm going to harvest a little of those tomorrow for my turkey burger recipe.

I sprayed my kabochas and tomatoes yesterday for the 2nd time with 1 gallon of water, 2 T baking soda and a little Dr. Bronner's soap... to ward off fungus. I don't see any yet but you need to be proactive in fighting off that fungus... it just totally destroys the squash once it gets going. I have giant kabochas out there now, the squash are bigger every day, but they won't be ready to eat until October at the earliest. I may not pick them until Nov. I will spray them with DIY pepper spray, it keeps the squirrels away. They used to ravage my squash patch, they chew into them to get the seeds.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I tried gardening but gave it up, it was hellebore-ing.
It would be tougher in Sacto, it's so dang hot in the summer. Maybe if you did it in the morning before it gets too hot.

I think you need an impetous. When I lived on Maui I knew a guy who was maniacal about vegetable gardening in Haiku. He worked a giant piece of earth in comparison to what I have. It was open and maybe 20' x 60' just guessing. Hard to not have that kind of enthusiasm rub off on you.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
It would be tougher in Sacto, it's so dang hot in the summer. Maybe if you did it in the morning before it gets too hot.

I think you need an impetous. When I lived on Maui I knew a guy who was maniacal about vegetable gardening in Haiku. He worked a giant piece of earth in comparison to what I have. It was open and maybe 20' x 60' just guessing. Hard to not have that kind of enthusiasm rub off on you.

We always had fabulous gardens when we were in Modesto. Maters by July 4th most years...jalapenos, serranos, poblanos...and wonderful blueberries.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
We always had fabulous gardens when we were in Modesto. Maters by July 4th most years...jalapenos, serranos, poblanos...and wonderful blueberries.
I get my blueberries in 3 lb. bags, organic, in the display case at Costco! I have around 4 lb. in the freezer right now.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I get my blueberries in 3 lb. bags, organic, in the display case at Costco! I have around 4 lb. in the freezer right now.

I'm about 75 miles to the closest Costco...and fresh blueberries are MUCH better than store bought. I have 4 or 5 different varieties growing right now.