What are you drinking tonight?

Page 180 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
I miss my underage years where 1 beer would give you a good buzz.

Now I can down 2-3 full glasses of scotch neat and it would just give me a tired feeling, not even a buzz.

Reactions: akugami

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I actually do enjoy it in small quantities. I bought it this past weekend for the first time. I've been wanting to try it forever; I think based on comments you've made in the past. I was disappointed that it wasn't terrible :^D An ounce or so at a time is interesting and enjoyable. I just sip it, and appreciate it's lingering finish :^D
You are the 2nd person I am aware of who actually enjoys it. Sorry it wasnt terrible enough for you, lol!

• Haha
Reactions: lxskllr

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
img_20231210_105750356-jpg.90148
Oof.....never had it but I have heard of it. IDK man....I'm pretty open minded when it comes to trying new food and drink but this one has a stigma associated with it. I think of vegemite or salmiak liquorice whenever I see a bottle of malort.

Last edited:

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Oof.....never had it but I have heard of it. IDK man....I'm pretty open minded when it comes to trying new food and drink but this one has a stigma associated with it. I think of vegemite or salmiak liquorice whenever I see a bottle of malort.
It's just really, really, really bitter, and the nose doesn't give it away at all. Imagine a very lightly sweetened spirit made from grapefruit skins, and you'll be pretty close to the flavor.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Bro were you just out in your backyard burning a log while enjoying some Irish whiskey? If so I love it!
Swedish candles are one of my favorite things. When the forecast is calling for a nice night, I'll get a round of some kind of junk wood I save for the purpose, and chainsaw the cuts through it. Six wedges, and leave it connected at the bottom. Put a little stack of pine needles on top, some tiny twigs, then some small twigs, then wait til about 0.5hr before sundown before I light it. I can't actually see the sun go down from my yard, but it lights the sky nicely. I particularly like seeing the jet contrails in an orange sky. I also watch the critters get ready to head in for the evening. The candle will last 1.5-2hr, so I get a little star watching in also, though that sucks around here. Way too much light pollution.

It's exclusively a cool weather activity; fall-early spring. Oh, and a glass of whisky always makes it better ;^)

Reactions: stargazr and bbhaag

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Swedish candles are one of my favorite things. When the forecast is calling for a nice night, I'll get a round of some kind of junk wood I save for the purpose, and chainsaw the cuts through it. Six wedges, and leave it connected at the bottom. Put a little stack of pine needles on top, some tiny twigs, then some small twigs, then wait til about 0.5hr before sundown before I light it. I can't actually see the sun go down from my yard, but it lights the sky nicely. I particularly like seeing the jet contrails in an orange sky. I also watch the critters get ready to head in for the evening. The candle will last 1.5-2hr, so I get a little star watching in also, though that sucks around here. Way too much light pollution.

It's exclusively a cool weather activity; fall-early spring. Oh, and a glass of whisky always makes it better ;^)
Never heard of a Swedish candle before but it looks like something I would enjoy especially on a cool night when the sun is going down and I got a glass of whiskey/bourbon/scotch in my hand.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
It makes a very constrained fire. It's warm, but it doesn't feel like you're sitting in front of a blast furnace. The real cool thing about Swedish candles is they make a good cooking fire in the back country. It uses little wood, and you can put a cookware on top to cook your food until it burns enough to collapse the top. The round needs to flat top and bottom, but you don't have to use a chainsaw. You can split it with an axe, then stack the wedges up in the form of a log leaving ~¼" gap between the wedges. The fire burns down through the center, and expands outward.

Reactions: BurnItDwn

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I have Redbreast 12. Not usually big on Irish Whiskies, but I love this stuff (and the Lustau edition). Cheers

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Cognac's good. I confine my consumption to winter. Seems to go particularly well with winter.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Brandy is good. I tend to go middle shelf and get the Armenian made stuff. IMO Armenian Five Star Brandy is among my favorites < $20 fifth.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Brandy is good. I tend to go middle shelf and get the Armenian made stuff. IMO Armenian Five Star Brandy is among my favorites < $20 fifth.
Never heard of the brand but OMG I love some of the bottles they have.

Do I want Brandy in a shoe? Yes!
306267.jpg

Do I want Brandy in a dragon? Hell yes!
256975.jpg

Do I want Brandy in a dolphin? Maybe?
Studio_Project-2022-06-03T110737.214_1800x1800.jpg

Do I want Brandy in a turtle? Absolutely!
shopping

Do I want Brandy in a dildo? Wait wut?????
shopping

• Haha

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

306267.jpg

256975.jpg

shopping

shopping
Hahahahaha that is Hilarious!

That Turtle is awesome.
Ive never seen any of those novelty bottles!

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
I'm drinking a small glass of Stillhouse whiskey that I keep in the freezer. Got my Christmas bonus today so I'm donating money to a few causes such as the local YMCA and St Jude etc. I feel good about myself until I see how much I've given that could have bought a new GPU :p

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Hahahahaha that is Hilarious!

That Turtle is awesome.
Ive never seen any of those novelty bottles!
Yeah they are pretty neat but can be a little more expensive than the regular bottles. A simple web search for "Brandy in a turtle" or "Brandy in a dragon" should give you a good idea if they are available but a lot of them are limited releases.

One thing I would recommend against searching for is "Brandy in a dildo". The results are ALL NSFW but not because of any alcohol association. Search that one at your own discretion.

Last edited:

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005

306267.jpg

256975.jpg

shopping

shopping

Fun fact, the "turtle head" is a euphemism for penis in China.