What are they Hiding?

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/amp/2018/09/brett-kavanaugh-documents-supreme-court.html

Days before Supreme Court hopeful Brett Kavanaugh faces Senate confirmation hearings, the White House announced that it would withhold more than 100,000 pages of documents from his tenure as a lawyer for the George W. Bush administration in the early 2000s.

In a letter sent to the Senate Judiciary Committee on Friday, Bush lawyer William Burck, who is in charge of compiling documents related to the presidency, wrote that Bush had advised him to err “on the side of transparency and disclosure,” but that the Trump administration directed him not to release certain files, citing executive privilege.

The documents in question, he wrote, “reflect deliberations and candid advice concerning the selection and nomination of judicial candidates, the confidentiality of which is critical to any president’s ability to carry out this core constitutional executive function.”

Senate Democrats said it was the first time the executive branch has invoked the Presidential Records Act to avoid handing over documents to Congress. On Saturday, Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer tweeted his outrage:

https://mobile.twitter.com/SenSchumer?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twgr^373939313b73706563696669635f73706f7274735f616374696f6e&ref_url=https://d-1614927862781586874.ampproject.net/1535566825959/frame.html
(Sorry, easier to post the link to his twitter feed than to copypasta on this iPad)

White House Deputy Press Secretary Raj Shah responded to Schumer by claiming that the administration’s decision amounted to standard procedure.

With his decades of work as a Washington power player — as a Bush lawyer, White House Staff Secretary, and then Appeals Court judge — Kavanaugh sports an extensive paper trail, a history Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell worried about before President Trump nominated him. Senate Democrats have been sparring for weeks with Chuck Grassley, the chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, over how many documents from Kavanaugh’s past Democrats are allowed access to. On Meet the Press on Sunday, Democratic Senator Amy Klobuchar said that she had seen documents that raise “some very interesting questions” about the nominee, but which she was not allowed to discuss because of restrictions imposed by Republicans.

But so far, Democratic indignation over documents has not really broken through to the public, and neither have any of the more eye-opening revelations about Kavanaugh’s past — like the fact that he once said he admired William O. Rehnquist’s dissent in Roe v. Wade, and suggested that the Supreme Court gave President Nixon an unfair shake back in 1974.

And though the idea of Kavanaugh’s confirmation is not popular with the public, it was always going to be a heavy lift for Democrats to block his nomination, given the cold reality of Senate math. With moderate Republican Senator Susan Collins giving Kavanaugh a warm reception and the death of Senator John McCain meaning that Republicans now have two votes to spare in the confirmation fight, the odds of his candidacy going down in flames seem more remote than ever.

Makes me wonder WTF is in those documents that could be so damaging...

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
What is your explanation of Schumer's actions if not both sides?

Shumer had to choose between mere dilatory action on GOP judicial nominees vs time for incumbent Dem Senators to campaign. McConnell has deliberately held the Senate in session to cripple Dems' campaigns because there are a lot more incumbent Dems than Repubs this cycle. All the nominees in question (other than perhaps Kavanaugh) will inevitably be confirmed, anyway. Shumer has to pick his battles.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Shumer had to choose between mere dilatory action on GOP judicial nominees vs time for incumbent Dem Senators to campaign. McConnell has deliberately held the Senate in session to cripple Dems' campaigns because there are a lot more incumbent Dems than Repubs this cycle. All the nominees in question (other than perhaps Kavanaugh) will inevitably be confirmed, anyway. Shumer has to pick his battles.
Fayto6t.gif
Fayto6t.gif
Fayto6t.gif

/thread

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
As if Chuck couldn't submit a FOIA or argue for a subpoena which while it won't be supported but know what potential voters see? Someone even trying.

But give people reasons to stay home and not vote for Dems.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
As if Chuck couldn't submit a FOIA or argue for a subpoena which while it won't be supported but know what potential voters see? Someone even trying.

But give people reasons to stay home and not vote for Dems.

Desperate, huh? WTF makes you think that a FOIA request carries more weight than a congressional request? Or that arguing for a congressional subpoena will matter when the GOP majority won't issue one & Trump won't comply anyway?

What Trump & the GOP want to hide is Kavanaugh's record of extreme toady partisanship. It seems obvious that he won't be able to set that aside to be an honest arbiter in the most important court in the land so they'd rather the public be unaware of it.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Desperate, huh? WTF makes you think that a FOIA request carries more weight than a congressional request? Or that arguing for a congressional subpoena will matter when the GOP majority won't issue one & Trump won't comply anyway?

What Trump & the GOP want to hide is Kavanaugh's record of extreme toady partisanship. It seems obvious that he won't be able to set that aside to be an honest arbiter in the most important court in the land so they'd rather the public be unaware of it.

You want to lose. Well, keep saying the pick your battles until they're lost or others win it for those who haven't the wit nor spine to stand up and be counted. Pull up a nice brandy and good cigar and hang out with the other boys in the back room.

We'll likely win without you.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
You want to lose. Well, keep saying the pick your battles until they're lost or others win it for those who haven't the wit nor spine to stand up and be counted. Pull up a nice brandy and good cigar and hang out with the other boys in the back room.

We'll likely win without you.

Shumer picked the battle that Dems might win- the one back home on the campaign trail for incumbent Dems. That's a lot more meaningful than a fight over judicial nominees where they'll lose anyway. It's of the utmost importance for incumbent Dems to campaign in person & press the flesh of their constituents. You know it's true & that's apparently why you're concern trolling in the opposite direction.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Shumer picked the battle that Dems might win- the one back home on the campaign trail for incumbent Dems. That's a lot more meaningful than a fight over judicial nominees where they'll lose anyway. It's of the utmost importance for incumbent Dems to campaign in person & press the flesh of their constituents. You know it's true & that's apparently why you're concern trolling in the opposite direction.

Did Chuck pick a battle? How nice. Now, of course, he could have done more than one thing, but "One Track" supporters can't accept that getting out on the trail could be done and with planning action to encourage voters and be seen in Congress.

But if people do get out and really really stump they at least they did more than happened in 2016.

If it's anything outside your narrow vision it's "concern trolling" because you can't stand different approaches. I get that, it's very conservative politically, which you are. Your game plan went really well before in 2016 and candidates like Beto are saying "Eff that".

But I'm actually encouraged to see the results you and yours are having with Dems. They don't like your favored and a new generation of thinkers will sweep you aside as well as the current era Republicans.

The political blood of the old obsolete among us might refresh the Tree of Liberty yet. That may concern you as you troll, but it's something I'd be glad to see.

That's enough said by me. Twist in the wind if you must.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Did Chuck pick a battle? How nice. Now, of course, he could have done more than one thing, but "One Track" supporters can't accept that getting out on the trail could be done and with planning action to encourage voters and be seen in Congress.

But if people do get out and really really stump they at least they did more than happened in 2016.

If it's anything outside your narrow vision it's "concern trolling" because you can't stand different approaches. I get that, it's very conservative politically, which you are. Your game plan went really well before in 2016 and candidates like Beto are saying "Eff that".

But I'm actually encouraged to see the results you and yours are having with Dems. They don't like your favored and a new generation of thinkers will sweep you aside as well as the current era Republicans.

The political blood of the old obsolete among us might refresh the Tree of Liberty yet. That may concern you as you troll, but it's something I'd be glad to see.

Yeh, keep tearing down the democrats to show us just how concerned you really are.

Reactions: hal2kilo

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Yeh, keep tearing down the democrats to show us just how concerned you really are.

Only your kind and the ones who can't get the vote out like Chuckie.

Want to keep looking worse? Tell you what. Go to the politics forum in Reddit and take a stand for your old guard and see how you fare with other Democrats who have passion. Good luck, you'll need it.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

Lets hear your different approach, one that you think will be more effective and be an actual option for congressional Democrats.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Only your kind and the ones who can't get the vote out like Chuckie.

Want to keep looking worse? Tell you what. Go to the politics forum in Reddit and take a stand for your old guard and see how you fare with other Democrats who have passion. Good luck, you'll need it.

Meanwhile, incumbent Dem Senators will be campaigning in person to create turnout for themselves. Which they wouldn't be, of course, if Shumer followed your oh-so concerned advice. They'd be in Washington spinning their wheels while their challengers are out there pressing the flesh & rallying support. Which is, not coincidentally, exactly the way McConnell wants it to be.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Lets hear your different approach, one that you think will be more effective and be an actual option for congressional Democrats.

Please. He's just going for the buzz kill. He's basically a fifth columnist feigning loyalty to those he betrays.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Please. He's just going for the buzz kill. He's basically a fifth columnist feigning loyalty to those he betrays.

I'm a believer in "put up or shut up", he's a smart guy, maybe he's not just spewing hot air.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Thank you for your answer. Did you come up with it yourself or is it a matter of record. I saw Rachael Maddow raise the question of WTF Schumer was up to with this and she had no answer. I have yet to see the explanation other than the one you offer here. Then there is this:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligence...sabotaging-the-next-democratic-president.html

This all reminds me of the chain of events that happens when, for want of a nail, the horse shoe is lost. Do we wish to die from a thousand cuts or with honor? You may have to pick your battles well, but what does that actually look like. This reeks of liberal brain defect to me. I may not react so aggressively as some over this, but then I already believe that democracy is dead because we keep voting in the wrong kind of liberal.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Thank you for your answer. Did you come up with it yourself or is it a matter of record. I saw Rachael Maddow raise the question of WTF Schumer was up to with this and she had no answer. I have yet to see the explanation other than the one you offer here. Then there is this:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligence...sabotaging-the-next-democratic-president.html

This all reminds me of the chain of events that happens when, for want of a nail, the horse shoe is lost. Do we wish to die from a thousand cuts or with honor? You may have to pick your battles well, but what does that actually look like. This reeks of liberal brain defect to me. I may not react so aggressively as some over this, but then I already believe that democracy is dead because we keep voting in the wrong kind of liberal.

How do we know McConnell is lying? His lips are moving. It's pretty transparent as explained here-

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/06/05/mcconnell-cancels-most-of-august-recess-625905

Privately, some Republicans are worried that canceling the August recess will become a regular occurrence. But if there was any year to do it, it's 2018: There are 10 Democrats up for reelection in states that Trump won, and just one Senate Republican, Dean Heller of Nevada, who is trying to get re-elected in a state won by Hillary Clinton.

In the face of Trump & the GOP there is no wrong kind of Liberal.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
And there's this: Not everybody seems to accept this decision. I don't see an open and closed case.

https://rewire.news/article/2018/08...ifteen-judges-days-before-kavanaugh-hearings/

Shumer can't stop those confirmations, only delay them. He & his caucus believed campaign time to be more important to achieve their goal, which is to take the Senate. I happen to agree.

Beyond that he'll need to control the narrative to have any hope of turning back Kavanaugh. The more that's revealed the better his chances at that so he'll try to make McConnell stick to established protocols wrt information gathering about the nominee. There's a much larger amount of that to be compiled wrt Kavanaugh due to to his many years in govt.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000

You MUST provide your own comment in each and every P&N post.

Perknose
Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Shumer can't stop those confirmations, only delay them. He & his caucus believed campaign time to be more important to achieve their goal, which is to take the Senate. I happen to agree.
I think my question isn't whether you agree. I already got that you do. My question is are you proud about your choice?