Question What are the odds that my phone will get bricked in a software update?

FlameTail

Platinum Member
Dec 15, 2021
So my phone is ready to upgrade to the next version of Android, which is a MAJOR software update.

So i am asking what are the chances that my phone will be bricked in the process?

Note: I am not trying to install a custom Android OS like Lineage or do some other crazy thing. Just getting the software update from the OEM.

jegonon300

Jan 4, 2022
Basically, an official software upgrade doesn't make any bigger issue. But, sometimes an update may affect performance. Last month, I've upgrade my Redmi 8 to Mi 12.0.1. Now it's smooth but speaker sounds seem louder. Though, this is not a big issue.

You should check your phone's fan group, community, where user will describe. Is the current upgrade good or bad? Hope you get your answer.

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
So my phone is ready to upgrade to the next version of Android, which is a MAJOR software update.

So i am asking what are the chances that my phone will be bricked in the process?

Note: I am not trying to install a custom Android OS like Lineage or do some other crazy thing. Just getting the software update from the OEM.

The same risk you take with anything in life. Worst thing that happens is you have to factory reset the phone. I've had an Android phone for several years and never had bricked OS from an update.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004

Very low. Back up anything you can't afford to lose and check for any common/major issues on community forums, but otherwise go right ahead.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

what phone do you have?
The simple answer is no. Phone breaking has never been a serious issue with Android even for very cheap phones made in weird little eastern european countries. and its even less of an issue today with OS's than it was back in the Cupcake/Donut era.

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Upgraded my unlocked Note 20 Ultra 5G to One UI 4.0 and Android 12 yesterday, Friday 14th. Didn't see any problem. I'll still have to see what changed.

20220114_175750.jpg

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
IMO it is less risky than updating windows, but if you are in a profession where your phone simply MUST work all day, every day, then I would own two of same phone and let one update, and test functionality before updating the 2nd one. I'm not necessarily suggesting active service for both phones (depends on the situation), but could swap the sim or get a new one if the need arises.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
IMO it is less risky than updating windows, but if you are in a profession where your phone simply MUST work all day, every day, then I would own two of same phone and let one update, and test functionality before updating the 2nd one. I'm not necessarily suggesting active service for both phones (depends on the situation), but could swap the sim or get a new one if the need arises.

That's overkill... really, in that case I'd just avoid updating right away and give it a few weeks to see if any persistent issues pop up.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
^ It was in the context of must-have for work, then it's not just about updates but also lost/stolen/damaged/etc.

Windows, I'd just make a partition backup first, and it's not as likely to have your system lost or stolen as it is with a mobile device but if used for work, also a very good idea to have a backup computer of some sort to cover hardware failure or other unpredictables.

Last edited:

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I had a phone that bricked beyond any sort of reset while updating, was an HTC Evo. I had to ship it to HTC to get it fixed. While the possibility might be basically 0, there still is the slightest chance it could brick your phone. I also had an LG TV (when it was a few weeks old) completely brick while updating and they had to send a tech out. Maybe I just have really bad luck, but crap can happen even when it's not supposed to.