What are the odds that it could happen?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Not too sure about that. As a former president, he gets lifetime Secret Service protection.
But he has no authority or rights beyond that. Former presidents have no official powers.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
A particular female friend of mine, called me scared out of her panties. She said that she heard Secretary of Defense Mike Esper say on the news that he was resigning, because he believed that Trump might mobilize the military to stay in power.

And he wanted no part of that.

I told her, there has never been a dictator in the history of the world that was able to stage a coup without the support of the military.

And Trump doesn't have it. But it is thought-provoking.

Does he really need the military to stage a coup, considering that his cult is so large?

View attachment 33203

View attachment 33204

Who is going to lead these moron thugs though? Trump? Not exactly a great military mind. What are they going to do surround the white house with gun totin' maniacs? What are those idiots going to do when the real military rolls up on them with tanks?

Oh, and we need pics to prove that your friend was indeed scared out of her panties. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
Who is going to lead these moron thugs though? Trump? Not exactly a great military mind. What are they going to do surround the white house with gun totin' maniacs? What are those idiots going to do when the real military rolls up on them with tanks?

Oh, and we need pics to prove that your friend was indeed scared out of her panties. ;)

I'll ask, but don't hold your breath.

And she called it correct.

Trump fires Secretary of Defense Mark Esper

Let's see if Trump tries any troop movements.

We might all be holding our breath.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Can you think of any good reason why one would fire a sitting DOD secretary during a lame duck session when he is known not to be a yes man? What exactly world Trump need a yes man in that position for during these last 2.5 months?

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
And again- the folks on both sides will think this about the other side. Both will believe that their guy legitimately won the election, and that the other side are traitors who deserve no mercy.

I didn't miss that. I''m saying that the vast majority aren't going to overthrow the government, whatever they call themselves.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Can you think of any good reason why one would fire a sitting DOD secretary during a lame duck session when he is known not to be a yes man? What exactly world Trump need a yes man in that position for during these last 2.5 months?

"Childish petulance" seems a plausible answer. We are in the odd position of _hoping_ that's the reason.

alexruiz

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2001
Let’s see how well that deplorable army stands when they get hit with a fucking drone strike.
Let’s see how any militia does when the get hit by a drone strike like any random terrorist group has been hit.

You are totally right.
Everytime that someone who expresses desire about belonging to the bic mac militia and fighting against the tyrant government, I have a big laugh.
No mater the amount of guns they own, they are simply no match in firepower to the military.

Somehow they get the romanticized version that they will be fighting against a 19th century army, and that having guns puts them on equal footing.
They simply don't realize they would be fighting against a modern 21st century army, and that not only they are hopelessly overmatched in firepower.
An AR-15 won't do much against a drone or a humvee.

Furthermore, they can easily be tracked.
The government already knows who we are, and who stands on what side.
Have a cell phone? They know where you are
Posted on parler? They already know who you are and where you live.
They can even track any modern car that has GPS / telematics modules.

Unless the whooper militia ditches newer cars and communicates with morse code using flashlights or posts to the web through VPNs using disposable wireless adapters, the government knows where they are, and how many of them they are.
Are they that tech savvy and fit enough to be riding bikes? Yeah right :rolleyes:
The twinkie militia would die of a heart attack after 2 miles. Everytime I see pictures of them I feel that exercise is a waste, I already look skinny by their side!

Now, if the roles were reversed, where the military were to support the cheeto in a coup, then we are screwed.
While we might have a better chance against them than the rednecks, as we can at least attempt to hack or jam systems, it would be extremely hard.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Trump is clearly trying to stack the deck in the Pentagon to do exactly that.

I still hope that there is still enough integrity and sense of duty to the Constitution that upper brass will refuse to follow what are clearly illegal orders.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Let's see if Trump tries any troop movements.

Troop movements?

The man can barely orchestrate a bowel movement without totally messing things up.

5e57ee70fee23d652c22bdd5

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
Trump is clearly trying to stack the deck in the Pentagon to do exactly that.

I still hope that there is still enough integrity and sense of duty to the Constitution that upper brass will refuse to follow what are clearly illegal orders.

Trump just got told what time it was.

This isn’t just a speech.
It’s a warning.
He’s seething.
A righteous anger.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
That's an awfully terse response from someone who mostly supported Trump for the last 4 years. You also have no sense of history. I suggest you read up on Jim Jones and tell us why people like you put this country in the position where this is even a possibility.

Uh..."people like me"

lmao

Its my opinion, pal.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
Prep the drones.

Militia leader Stewart Rhodes says he has men stationed outside of D.C. ready to engage in violence on Trump’s order

Rhodes: “We’ll also be on the outside of D.C., armed, prepared to go in, if the president calls us up”

1605312849041.png

Oath Keepers militia leader Stewart Rhodes said that he has armed men on standby outside of Washington, D.C., to supposedly prevent the 2020 presidential election from being stolen from President Donald Trump. Echoing elements of the QAnon conspiracy theory during an appearance on far-right conspiracy theorist Alex Jones’ program, Rhodes said the only way to prevent his men from engaging in a “bloody fight” would be Trump declassifying information to supposedly expose pedophiles in the “deep state” and allow the president to stay in power.

Rhodes also indicated his militia will be involved in a rally to support Trump planned for this weekend in the nation's capital.

Rhodes’ Oath Keepers militia, which comprises “former law enforcement officials and military veterans,” is described by the Southern Poverty Law Center as “one of the largest radical antigovernment groups in the U.S. today.” But, as Rhodes recent public comments have made clear, the organization’s purpose has shifted from opposing the government to instead act as a pro-Trump vigilante group that is willing to violently support Trump’s unjust attempts to stay in power after losing the 2020 election.

Rhodes joined Jones and Infowars host Owen Shroyer during the November 10 broadcast of The Alex Jones Show. Rhodes claimed that, in order to stop the election from being stolen from him, Trump needs to declassify information exposing members of the “deep state” so that Americans will “all know exactly who the pedophiles are.” According to Rhodes, judges -- including Supreme Court Justice John Roberts -- politicians, and members of the legal community, academia, and media are all part of the “deep state.” These comments echoed a central tenet of the QAnon conspiracy theory, which claims that Trump is engaged in a battle with a cabal of pedophile elites.

Rhodes said Trump should task special forces leaders in the military to gather and process the information because “he cannot trust the normal military intelligence services.” Noting that he has previously been opposed to U.S. military intervention in domestic matters, Rhodes said that in this case Trump should invoke The Insurrection Act to accomplish this goal.

Rhodes then said that, in support of Trump, “we have men already stationed outside D.C. as a nuclear option in case they attempt to remove the president illegally, we will step in and stop it” and emphasized that these men are “armed” and “prepared to go in, if the president calls us up.” In addition to activity outside of the capital, Rhodes said he will have Oath Keepers inside the city this coming weekend to support a caravan of Infowars supporters being led by Shroyer who say they will hold an event on November 14. The Infowars contingent is one of several far-right groups that say that they will rally in the city to support Trump. Stewart added that his group has been doing “recon” for the past week in the Washington, D.C., area.

Rhodes called on supporters of Trump to converge on the capital in the same manner as far-right militia members gathered at a Nevada ranch in 2014 to threaten federal law enforcement officers who were attempting to enforce a court order against rancher Cliven Bundy. He also made it clear during his appearance that the only alternative to Trump staying in power would be violence, saying, “It’s either President Trump is encouraged, and bolstered, [and] strengthened to do what he must do or we wind up in a bloody fight. We all know that. The fight’s coming.”

Rhodes previously claimed during an appearance on Jones' show to have Oath Keepers stationed outside of Washington, D.C., for Election Day, to prevent an unhinged scenario he predicted in which opponents of Trump, aided by foreign terrorists, would storm the White House, and the Secret Service would run out of bullets, necessitating backup from members of his militia. While making those comments, Rhodes hyped the prospect of his Oath Keepers members engaging in widespread violence against the left in a civil war scenario.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Rhodes previously claimed during an appearance on Jones' show to have Oath Keepers stationed outside of Washington, D.C., for Election Day, to prevent an unhinged scenario he predicted in which opponents of Trump, aided by foreign terrorists, would storm the White House, and the Secret Service would run out of bullets, necessitating backup from members of his militia. While making those comments, Rhodes hyped the prospect of his Oath Keepers members engaging in widespread violence against the left in a civil war scenario.

Hey, I saw that movie! But it was North Koreans doing the storming - I don't believe L'il Kim would do that to his pal Donald!

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
Hey, I saw that movie! But it was North Koreans doing the storming - I don't believe L'il Kim would do that to his pal Donald!

In the original, with Patrick Swayze and Charlie Sheen, it was the Russians. With help from the Cubans.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
In the original, with Patrick Swayze and Charlie Sheen, it was the Russians. With help from the Cubans.

Actually I was thinking of one of those two recent near-indistinguishable 'Terrorists capture the Whitehouse" movies.

Come to think of it, that movie really made the North Koreans look impressively capable and well-organised. Had me rooting for them, on the grounds that they were clearly far more competent than the actual American government. Though it made one wonder why N Korea isn't doing better than it is, as far as feeding its own people and suchlike.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
Actually I was thinking of one of those two recent near-indistinguishable 'Terrorists capture the Whitehouse" movies.

Come to think of it, that movie really made the North Koreans look impressively capable and well-organised. Had me rooting for them, on the grounds that they were clearly far more competent than the actual American government. Though it made one wonder why N Korea isn't doing better than it is, as far as feeding its own people and suchlike.

You're not taking into consideration that in that movie, we had a president that was an ex-pro boxer, his #1 Secret Service agent/best friend was a former Army Ranger and there was a Secret Service agent that was a traitor.

Like Kip Geordie on South Park, Trump has zero friends.

1605321965332.png

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000

Red Dawn. You know Putin is ready. I got my guns and ammo ready and I’ve watched RD 20+ times. I’m ready baby. When they show up I’m ready to say “fuck you, asshole”. Oh wait, that was the terminator.

• Haha

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
Red Dawn. You know Putin is ready. I got my guns and ammo ready and I’ve watched RD 20+ times. I’m ready baby. When they show up I’m ready to say “fuck you, asshole”. Oh wait, that was the terminator.

If you saw it that many times, then you should remember the scene where the Russian soldier bends over and takes a handgun out of a dead American's hands, just as the camera pans to a bumper sticker saying "You'll only get my gun, when you pry it from my cold dead hands."