What are some of the biggest "IT Guy" stereotypes?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Originally posted by: smack Down
Originally posted by: RGN
Originally posted by: ultimatebob
Users tend to hate them because they think that their problem is the most important in the universe.

Oh yes, everyone else should drop what they're doing because you forgot your password. Again.

Or after you let it expire after the system prompted you half a dozen times.

Well you are the idiots that implemented expiring passwords.

Heh. We probably wouldn't HAVE to if you guys didn't give your passwords out to all of your co-workers or write them on post-it notes and put them on your monitor :)

Don't dare to tell me that you're not sharing your user accounts, either... the machine names show up in the logs!

smack Down

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
Originally posted by: JackBurton
Users tend to hate them because they think that their problem is the most important in the universe.

Oh yes, everyone else should drop what they're doing because you forgot your password. Again.

No, the idiots are the ones that can't understand WHY we implement passwords that expire.

Because you are to incompetent to detect when the password file is compromised.

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000

No, the idiots are the ones that can't understand WHY we implement passwords that expire.

No, the incompetent IT guy is one who would let a password file be available to everyone in an unencrypted state. Really we just like messing we the peons heads :p

SLEEPER5555

Golden Member
Aug 16, 2000
wow this thread has ballooned to more than i expected. i was looking for just physical appearance type things but you guys went off on it didnt cha?

Another thing i think many IT guys have is long hair, any others?

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000

Setting up password expiration intervals give less of a chance for a system to be compromised in the first place genius. And if you keep b!tching, I'll set your password to expire everyday. Now go back to work and STFU.

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: SLEEPER5555
wow this thread has ballooned to more than i expected. i was looking for just physical appearance type things but you guys went off on it didnt cha?

Another thing i think many IT guys have is long hair, any others?

I cut my mullet 4 years ago.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Is it just me or do the majority of software engineers think they are entitled to admin privileges on their workstations?

SLEEPER5555

Golden Member
Aug 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Geekbabe
that we're all "guys"

i was waiting for somone to point that out, hahahaah. i am just thinking if the general public drew a picture of what they thing the IT guy looks like what would that picture be?

SLEEPER5555

Golden Member
Aug 16, 2000

Setting up password expiration intervals give less of a chance for a system to be compromised in the first place genius. And if you keep b!tching, I'll set your password to expire everyday. Now go back to work and STFU.

damn you schooled his ass :D ROTFLMAO

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
If your major/field/area/job has the word 'computer' or information' in it, you can automatically fix any problem with any electronic device, over the phone/internet, given only a vague description of the problem. That description must include 'i hate computers' or 'these things are so dumb'.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by: her209
Is it just me or do the majority of software engineers think they are entitled to admin privileges on their workstations?

<-- has admin privilege on his workstation :p

So now I shall go through and install super cool things like I'm at my home computer... weatherbug here I come!

JJChicken

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2007
Originally posted by: hiromizu
They really DO know everything but they pretend not to when it's not their job responsibility unless it's a chick asking for help. In that case, they think they're going to get laid for fixing their PC but they won't.

I was doing that today :laugh:

I had it all planned.

Me:"Need help with that?"
Her:"Oh Yes?"
(fixes it)
Her:"Oh! How can i repay you!?"
Me:"Anyway you like.."

RadiclDreamer

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
Originally posted by: CanOWorms
Like to call themselves engineers.
Wear cell phone belt clips.
Weigh 300 pounds.
Poor facial hair growth.

God I hate the cell phone belt clips sooooo bad

RadiclDreamer

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004

Wow, you are dense. Password changing is implemented so if by chance someone was say looking over your shoulder and got your password they wont have it for long before its changed, this protects you. There is no technical solution for knowing that your password has been breached in meat space