What Americans Don’t Get About Nordic Countries

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
<California stuff>

I don't live in California, I just give it as an example because their public schools are of very high quality, and also quite expensive without considering financial aid. There are plenty of other states that provide financial assistance for the poor/middle class, and many of them will have much cheaper tuition. I'm not saying it's easy to get a full free ride anywhere in the country, but $10-20k in debt after graduation is not unaffordable provided one earns a degree that can be used to get a job.

marincounty

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
Youd have more support for government services if everyone was able to use them. As it is, only poor/lazy/unemployed/illegals get to use most entitlement programs, which creates resentment on the part of the people who have to actually work for a living.

That and the fact that the American government is full of paid off assholes who are only looking out for their corporate sponsors.

Hey, you have the comfort of knowing you have the largest, most powerful military in the world to protect your land.
So what if your job pays jack, the roads and bridges are crumbling, the schools are terrible and we are overrun with illegals.
Ain't America great?

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
That sounds bad until you consider the Number 1 reason for bankruptcy in America ..... MEDICAL EXPENSES. For the bottom 95% of Americans, we are all at risk of a medical illness wiping out absolutely everything we own. There is no safety net at all. Very scary shit.
"Well then just stop being poor. I did it, and basic luck has zero influence on a person's life, therefore everyone who isn't rich simply chooses to be that way."