What actions or proposals have warranted your support for Ron DeSantis as POTUS?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Oh god, seriously - we are telling people that they must vote such and such away?? This is a democracy (sort of). Just leave people alone and let them vote the way they want. Using the guise of 'the only rational choice' is a funny way to tell someone that they must vote 'my way'.

Other than that, I have no idea why @HomerJS is always trying to pick a fight with people who will just spit out Fox talking points.

On top of what others said, the practical reality is that the stakes are high and that voting independent will usually help DeSantis. If you care about LGBT people, if you care about abortion choice, if you care about accurate studies of racism, if you're determined to fight censorship... you vote Democrat.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Oh god, seriously - we are telling people that they must vote such and such away?? This is a democracy (sort of). Just leave people alone and let them vote the way they want. Using the guise of 'the only rational choice' is a funny way to tell someone that they must vote 'my way'.
If the right actually put up a sane candidate, then sure many of us won’t complain when people vote for the 3rd candidate. Until then, wasting a vote is playing into the Repugnicans hands

Reactions: Pohemi

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
On top of what others said, the practical reality is that the stakes are high and that voting independent will usually help DeSantis. If you care about LGBT people, if you care about abortion choice, if you care about accurate studies of racism, if you're determined to fight censorship... you vote Democrat.
The greatest threat to American society is the wealthy. Unelected individuals who are wreaking havoc on democracy and the economic security of 90% of Americans. They have effectively robbed $30-50 Tillion dollars from the bottom 90% of Americans over the past 30 years. They claim they earned it, and did so legal. Of course - they wrote the laws, so technically it was legal. We need a new TDR, and their ain't one to be found. They have so much power that Republicans and Democrats alike have been bent to their will. This is where America is most broken. The wealthy are the largest funders of the culture wars because it's an excellent smoke screen to hide their moral repugnant self centered greed. They are recreating a Feudal like system in America, except that in addition to farm land, they control industrial and high tech companies as well. I could go on - but it would be easier jus to follow Richard Reich's Inequality for all (which I have for some time):

(93) Robert Reich - YouTube

Reactions: Meghan54 and Pohemi

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
I live in FL, and quite possibly am more alarmed and disgusted by Desantis than I am Trump....and that is REALLY saying something.

He *might* be saying and doing his creepy fascist shit because he's trying to appeal to Republicans, who love authoritarian policies that benefit a certain "class" of people, and he *might* pivot to the center if elected...but then again he might not. He'll be much more effective than Trump about sticking with his plan and that's why I'm afraid of him. Planning to donate more than ever this election and do whatever else I can do help win this damn election for the party who stands the best chance of beating the GOP---quite obviously that would be the Democrats at this point and time.

My one real hope is that 1) The GOP establishment and Fox tries to shunt Trump aside and 2) Trump goes apeshit and tries to bring them down with him, possibly even going 3rd party. I think there's a non-zero chance it could happen, but I'm not all that optimistic.

Voting 3rd party...you might as well not vote at all. Ralph Nader can rot in hell for sinking Al Gore when he had no chance to win himself. The Green Party deserves nothing but contempt because they help the one party out to actively destroy the environment to prevail...nice going chaps. There's a zero percent chance that a 3rd party candiate will win, so all you are doing is giving up your small voice in who will win. If you honestly look at the Ds and Rs as "the same" (like some of my Bernie-snorting friends said in 2016) then so be it. I sure as hell don't. Not that I'll really suffer in the future GOP dream world of Christian whiteyhood, I am male and can look and play the part. My kids, less so, they wouldn't be deemed acceptable I fear.

Last edited:

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
The greatest threat to American society is the wealthy. Unelected individuals who are wreaking havoc on democracy and the economic security of 90% of Americans. They have effectively robbed $30-50 Tillion dollars from the bottom 90% of Americans over the past 30 years. They claim they earned it, and did so legal. Of course - they wrote the laws, so technically it was legal. We need a new TDR, and their ain't one to be found. They have so much power that Republicans and Democrats alike have been bent to their will. This is where America is most broken. The wealthy are the largest funders of the culture wars because it's an excellent smoke screen to hide their moral repugnant self centered greed. They are recreating a Feudal like system in America, except that in addition to farm land, they control industrial and high tech companies as well. I could go on - but it would be easier jus to follow Richard Reich's Inequality for all (which I have for some time):

(93) Robert Reich - YouTube

Oh, I don't deny that the wealth gap and greed are the most corrosive things, and that Democrats aren't immune to it. But it's still reasonable to say the Dems are better as a whole, since they're at least more receptive to meaningful regulation and have basic respect for anyone who isn't a white, straight Christian male.

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
I don't particularly like that the Democratic choice is a will-be-82-year-old Biden, but the main qualification for a President is that they should be to be able to hire competent high level administrators, who in turn will be hiring people to run things in various depts. They shouldn't be a hero, who gives a shit if they have a speech impediment.

That said, to get elected it helps to be able to give a good speech. It helps to perform well in the clown shows we call "debates". Neither of these has anything to do with being an actual good leader but oh well it's what the morons in the public require.

We needed a candidate Obama in 2016 and we need one now unless the Republicans implode (which is as I said, my one real hope that we don't get either Trump or Desantis).

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Or they don't like DeSantis.
His only big plus so far is he's not Biden.
It would be really tough to watch Corn Pop Joe bumble along for another 4 years.
You can say that about any Republican in the race so far.

Why DeSantis?

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Oh, I don't deny that the wealth gap and greed are the most corrosive things, and that Democrats aren't immune to it. But it's still reasonable to say the Dems are better as a whole, since they're at least more receptive to meaningful regulation and have basic respect for anyone who isn't a white, straight Christian male.
Which is why I've voted primarily for democrats the past 10 years. At this point though, I'm at my limit. I understand now, why in 2015, so many people were saying they either wanted Trump or Bernie. They just wanted someone to shake up the status quo. I didn't care for Bernie and never even considered Trump as a possibility. Surprised was I. I just don't like where American politics are going, and I don't see any option out there that will lead this country in the direction it needs to go. Again, I believe we need a TDR style reformation of the tax code as a means to re-introduce fairness into the American economic system - a tide that will lift all boats (well, for 90% of Americans).

FWIW, I am a white hetero Chirstian male (and a bloody Catholic at that) :p

Reactions: gothuevos

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Which is why I've voted primarily for democrats the past 10 years. At this point though, I'm at my limit. I understand now, why in 2015, so many people were saying they either wanted Trump or Bernie. They just wanted someone to shake up the status quo. I didn't care for Bernie and never even considered Trump as a possibility. Surprised was I. I just don't like where American politics are going, and I don't see any option out there that will lead this country in the direction it needs to go. Again, I believe we need a TDR style reformation of the tax code as a means to re-introduce fairness into the American economic system - a tide that will lift all boats (well, for 90% of Americans).

FWIW, I am a white hetero Chirstian male (and a bloody Catholic at that) :p
Tax Da Rich?

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi and Ajay

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Oh come on peeps! We’ve already seen declared support for DeSantis

Show us your thought process

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
it's going to be amazing watching trump start on ron for the high heels

"melanie doesn't wear heels that high"

"i thought rhonda santos banned drag shows"

They appear to be regular dress cowboy boots. Probably 1-1/2 inch heel + sole. DeSantis is supposedly 5’9” so this would bring him close to 5’11”. Not sure if that proves short man syndrome like hitler, Paul Rand, Gym Jordan, etc.

Reactions: Ajay