We're living in a simulation

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
As someone who grew up reading sci-fi in the 80s & 90s, I'm personally wounded by this.

I wanna get my ass to Mars :(
I love sci Fi man

That's all I read as a kid. Watching the expanse, foundation, dune,etc...now as an adult, this is great.

I just think we are missing the forest for the trees right now. It's clear the resources we are wasting to get to Mars and colonize it could be better spent here on Earth making it more sustainable and equitable. Not just the money and time we are wasting, but the brilliant minds we need to focus on saving this planet. Their brain power is needed to look inward, as well as space, but certainly not to an uninhabitable red rock.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
OP, will you let us know when you are required to start wearing only pure white Nikes and purple hot pants?

Jul 27, 2020
I do think our perception of the world is colored by our life experiences, culture, family, etc.
Very true. And if you are extremely observant or have too much time on your hands to ponder on random stuff, you may start to notice patterns. Like if you are born on 1st, 10th, 19th or 28th day of a month, you are VERY likely to enjoy the conversation or company of a person born on the 9th,18th or 27th. If I had the resources, I would conduct a huge study involving millions of people to prove these number based relationships and then we would have a great foundation to decide what type of people should be teamed up together to collaborate and provide the best productivity in a professional or academic environment.

Right now, it's all just based on your luck. If you happen to find the right person to collaborate with, you will have great results and it might turn out to be a memorable and even life changing experience. But if you get teamed up with an incompatible person, you will regret the experience and worse, you won't know how to avoid such a person in the future because we don't analyze people based on numbers.

Example: in my previous job, the regional financial director hated me for some reason. I know because my HR manager showed his emails to my manager where he was lying about stuff regarding me. But since he was a director, the HR manager couldn't take the pressure anymore and asked me to resign. Fortunately for me, I was IT support and I had access to all the documents on the server and one of them contained the date of births of everyone there. That director turned out to be a Virgo born in the year of the Rabbit. I kept this in mind as I later interacted with people who were either Virgos or Rabbits or both. I'm not surprised to say that I have zero Rabbit friends because they never warm up to me and most Virgos I've met never went more than being nice to me. In other words, I'm fairly certain when meeting a Virgo that this person will have little to no impact on my life. But if I meet a Rabbit, I know that there is no point showing them my best side, because they simply don't care.

Last edited:

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
Analyzing data is one way to arrive at the truth. If someone doesn't agree with that finding, they can always take steps to prove otherwise. That's how science works.

this doesn't sound like science though: "if you are born on 1st, 10th, 19th or 28th day of a month, you are VERY likely to enjoy the conversation or company of a person born on the 9th,18th or 27th"

that sounds like a horoscope

Reactions: zinfamous
Jul 27, 2020
this doesn't sound like science though: "if you are born on 1st, 10th, 19th or 28th day of a month, you are VERY likely to enjoy the conversation or company of a person born on the 9th,18th or 27th"

that sounds like a horoscope
It involves numbers so it is science. It's easy to verify this observation. Just take two people with those dates and see how well they interact with each other compared to people of other dates. A counter example would be two people, one from each group, who hate each other to bits. From my experience, I have yet to see this counter example, at least in my daily life.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I feel complete opposite. I think the world is amazing and our rate of technological progress is on exponential curve. It's truly exciting time to be alive. My only sorrow is I will die too soon without seeing all the great things that we previously thought only possible and existed solely in sci-fi books and movies. I couldn't be more excited for the future. We're laying the foundation to become multi planetary species and have robot workforce. We're only getting started.
What if we are approaching the upper limits of what is technologically and physically possible?

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
It involves numbers so it is science. It's easy to verify this observation. Just take two people with those dates and see how well they interact with each other compared to people of other dates. A counter example would be two people, one from each group, who hate each other to bits. From my experience, I have yet to see this counter example, at least in my daily life.
Not everything involving numbers is science. Citation: numerology.

Also, the plural of anecdote is not data. If you double-blinded your 'study', it'd turn into random noise.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I wouldn't put it past Elon to put conscious thought into every move he makes. It's just dropping "Easter eggs" for the observant eye to find them.

Just like Bach spelled out his own name in a musical work or little autobiographic hints the female star drops in "A Star is Born"(Janet Gaynor really was a longshot extra, Lady Gaga had a wacky surreal bathroom subject in "Bad Romance").

Or in Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Christopher Lloyd channel Doc's style of delivery through Judge Doom's soliloquy but in a evil context, ending with "My God it Will be Beautiful" in reference to a freeway instead time travel.

Jul 27, 2020
no. absolutely no.

just...what the fuck, man?
If someone puts random points on a piece of paper, connects those points and makes shapes, we call it geometry. But someone connects the dots with stars in the sky, correlates them with dates and that's pseudoscience? Difference is, the latter hasn't been researched enough by mainstream scientists. Bear with me here. Take the day of your birth. If it is two digits, add it up to make a single digit. For example, 23=2+3=5. 11 and 22 are Master numbers and don't add up. Now check to see if the following describes you:

1: Popular, competitive, leaders.
2: Business minded entrepreneurs
3: Workaholics. May turn out to be psychopaths.
4: Lucky in career but often end up in careers that have nothing to do with their academic degree.
5: Bridge between other numbers. Bring people together. May get addicted easily, to work, food, drugs, sex etc.
6: Want justice and harmony in the world and generally do everything they can to be a good citizen.
7: Get almost everything they wish for, except satisfaction in married life.
8: They might start out poor and may get extremely rich or famous. They can have a very positive or negative impact on humanity.
9: Public servants. Their life is all about serving humanity and benefit it in some way, even if they might be unaware of it.
11: Master Teacher. After the age of 40, they will provide useful knowledge to humanity and may enlighten thousands or even millions of students.
22: Master Builder: They will build something, like a company, that will span generations and make the world a better place for everyone.

The Universe is a grand simulation driven by numbers. No such thing as a random occurrence. Random is the human word for "We have no clue what the heck is going on".

Last edited:

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
Take the day of your birth. If it is two digits, add it up to make a single digit.
Now check to see if the following describes you:

well my forum birthday is the 2nd, and i AM a master of side hustlin...

and @zinfamous 's forum birthday is the 12th, and he DOES have 106k posts...

the math checks out, i'm a believer

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
If someone puts random points on a piece of paper, connects those points and makes shapes, we call it geometry. But someone connects the dots with stars in the sky, correlates them with dates and that's pseudoscience? Difference is, the latter hasn't been researched enough by mainstream scientists. Bear with me here. Take the day of your birth. If it is two digits, add it up to make a single digit. For example, 23=2+3=5. 11 and 22 are Master numbers and don't add up. Now check to see if the following describes you:

4: Lucky in career but often end up in careers that have nothing to do with their academic degree.
5: Bridge between other numbers. Bring people together. May get addicted easily, to work, food, drugs, sex etc.
6: Want justice and harmony in the world and generally do everything they can to be a good citizen.
8: They might start out poor and may get extremely rich or famous. They can have a very positive or negative impact on humanity.
9: Public servants. Their life is all about serving humanity and benefit it in some way, even if they might be unaware of it.
11: Master Teacher. After the age of 40, they will provide useful knowledge to humanity and may enlighten thousands or even millions of students.
22: Master Builder: They will build something, like a company, that will span generations and make the world a better place for everyone.

The Universe is a grand simulation driven by numbers. No such thing as a random occurrence. Random is the human word for "We have no clue what the heck is going on".

I wonder what it's like to go through life completely bonkers.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

It does not describe me.
Why would the universe care what method we use to observe what we perceive as time? Our calendar isn't intrinsically meaningful.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Maybe Igor is a political scientist. In political science you make the numbers say what you want, then form policy based on that! :p

Whatever else he is, I think its pretty clear he has some prior posting experience shall we say?

;)

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Maybe Igor is a political scientist. In political science you make the numbers say what you want, then form policy based on that! :p

economics, too. business "Science," too. These are all soft sciences which is really just giving them too much credit to even tack science on to the end.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
economics, too. business "Science," too. These are all soft sciences which is really just giving them too much credit to even tack science on to the end.
Economics is not the illegitimate stepchild you think it is.

Business and lol political “science” yes.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
It does not describe me.
Why would the universe care what method we use to observe what we perceive as time? Our calendar isn't intrinsically meaningful.
True, an objective calendar would be divided into BI and AI.