"We're in the endgame, now"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Probably true, but the proportion of Republican voters who don't trust elections is surely new, and presumably a consequence of the Trumpist Republican Party's behaviour.
Mail-in ballots were never a problem until 2020. Deployed military members have used them for ages, and I used them in Nebraska (a deep red state) from 2004-2018 and never heard a negative thing about them.
Which is to say, I'm confident that you're correct.

Reactions: hal2kilo

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Mail-in ballots were never a problem until 2020. Deployed military members have used them for ages, and I used them in Nebraska (a deep red state) from 2004-2018 and never heard a negative thing about them.

All Ruperts doing

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
It can be argued that article III section 1 says judgeships are lifetime appointments (assuming good behavior).

And yet precedent already exists for "senior" roles where they no longer hear cases on any normal basis. This should still be applicable as no distinction is made between supreme court judges or "inferior" court judges in the clause.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Is Clarence a gun shot survivor? Was it a head shot?

I am beginning to think that maybe its not "Ginni" that is a bad influence on Clarence... Maybe. Maybe its the other way around and all the crazy flows from him?

How the fuck can he not be factual on this shit?

• Wow
Reactions: hal2kilo and pmv

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
How the fuck can he not be factual on this shit?

Age alone can explain it. But more likely....How does he spend his days, is he "alone" in a bubble of like minded fools?
Perhaps he welcomes whatever trash his staff serves him. Maybe he rots his own brain on Fox News and social media. Both are poison, not just for the soul, but of intellect itself. He may have been a well reasoned man in the 90s, but that was a long time ago and our nation has spent that entire time descending unto madness. Why would he be immune to such disease?

He is just a man. I retort... how the fuck could he not lose his shit?

Reactions: gothuevos

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Failure by the individual States to provide a Republican form of government, where each voter's vote is worth as much as any other voters, is strictly unconstitutional, but this highly politicized SCOTUS doesn't give a fuck about that.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Lol.. vote by mail allows voters to comfortably make informed voting decisions without having to ask their boss for time off, without having to wait hours in line because their voting precinct has been denied resources because it doesn't swing the way the governing elite in their statehouse prefer, and without having to go through a gauntlet of violent armed "patriots" (thugs) who openly threaten to harm anyone who doesn't vote their way.
These are the reasons the GOP opposes vote by mail.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Oregon is the best voting experience I've ever had. And I've lived in 6 states. I get a 50 page booklet mailed to me weeks ahead of the election. It's got statements by each candidate. Even for stuff like judges and water commission. Then I get my ballot mailed to me and I can choose to sit down at my kitchen table after kids are in bed. I can go through each candidate line by line and read their views and statements. And then I can make an informed decision at my own pace without having to worry about my kid crying while in line, or being black and having to wait 6+ hours and risk employment and wages while I wait. Or to have some y'all queda militant with an AR-15 strapped to his back to intimidate me.

And when I'm done I just walk to the library and drop it off.

It's as if being educated and convenient was a bad thing for voting. Huh. Who would be against that.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Oregon is the best voting experience I've ever had. And I've lived in 6 states. I get a 50 page booklet mailed to me weeks ahead of the election. It's got statements by each candidate. Even for stuff like judges and water commission. Then I get my ballot mailed to me and I can choose to sit down at my kitchen table after kids are in bed. I can go through each candidate line by line and read their views and statements. And then I can make an informed decision at my own pace without having to worry about my kid crying while in line, or being black and having to wait 6+ hours and risk employment and wages while I wait. Or to have some y'all queda militant with an AR-15 strapped to his back to intimidate me.

It's as if being educated and convenient was a bad thing for voting. Huh. Who would be against that.
Not claiming any credit or anything, but the last time I voted in person was on 11/3/98 at the 7th Day Adventist church at SW Barbur and Hamilton when I voted yes for both mail in voting and medicinal MJ. Then I remember quite clearly coming home, turning on the TV news, and watching the news anchors eat shit as the measures they had spent months predicting would fail passed by wide margins. It was glorious.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Lol.. vote by mail allows voters to comfortably make informed voting decisions without having to ask their boss for time off, without having to wait hours in line because their voting precinct has been denied resources because it doesn't swing the way the governing elite in their statehouse prefer, and without having to go through a gauntlet of violent armed "patriots" (thugs) who openly threaten to harm anyone who doesn't vote their way.
These are the reasons the GOP opposes vote by mail.

violently assaulting mail carriers (like Trump supporters would do, as we know), or even just opening a mail box is a federal offense. It's a pretty good primary system to deter the deplorables in this country, that would murder people for voting (I'm talking about Republicans, by the way. they are murdering cowards)

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

Same for Washington state.

Reactions: nakedfrog

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Not claiming any credit or anything, but the last time I voted in person was on 11/3/98 at the 7th Day Adventist church at SW Barbur and Hamilton when I voted yes for both mail in voting and medicinal MJ. Then I remember quite clearly coming home, turning on the TV news, and watching the news anchors eat shit as the measures they had spent months predicting would fail passed by wide margins. It was glorious.

California is just like this. It's nice to fill out a ballot at my own desk with all the reference material and internet available to me.
To avoid any mail delays I just use a drop box a quarter mile from my house.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Arizona provides the voter information booklets as well. It’s fun playing Republican bingo with the candidate statements: conservative, family , veterans, border, Christian, pro-life, debt (when D in office), tax cuts (when R in office).

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Apparently, there were those who were Republicans, that had some form of smartness to understand what the events of Jan 6th meant about the future of the Republican Party. One example of this is Joy Hofmeister of Oklahoma, who switched to the Democrat Party in 2021.

Mar 11, 2004
Fuck's sake...

Democrats aren't making anyone get abortions, or get gay married, or making them transgender. They're just allowing people who want to do those things to do them. Y'know, that whole "freedom" thing the Christian fascists profess to love.
Contrast that with the actions of Republicans, who literally are imposing their political beliefs on abortion, and gunning for those other items. And forcing us to pay for religious schools. And allowing corporations to further fuck over life on the entire planet for decades and centuries to come.
But "both sides same", of course.

The Jackaslass conundrum.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
It was generous of you to use the word 'consider'. Who doesn't think it's a foregone conclusion?
All you have to do is read the constitution to figure it out. The court looks to be following a strict constructionist agenda, that makes them predictable. It also means congress will have to start doing it's job. Long term I think that's going to be a good thing as it rebuilds the separation of the three branches of government.
It also appears that the time of all the different departments writing rules that have the power of law is going to be constrained as well. Once again tossing everything back to congress who should have been doing the job all along.