well it was a good run. out of the weight training game for a while -

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002
What's the reason for continued soreness? Scar tissue? I would think it was healed by now, right?

My MRI is Tuesday. Trying to get this in by 12/31 if I need it.

surgeon says tendon will not be back to normal for 12-18 months form surgery. sure, it's healed to a certain extent, but to be as healed as it will ever will be it is not.

The soreness is sometimes related to activity... I think it's just part of the recovery process

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002
met with my surgeon on thursday last week.

He lifted all weight restrictions on me... that does not mean go hit it as hard as I can he says. says he doesn't fear me retearing the tendon, but I "need to be smart about things". says he wouldn't expect me to have a symmetrical workout for another 8-10 wks. he advised me to use it as 'tolerated'

Surgeon says the continued soreness is a good thing. I described it too him that it isn't anything specific that causes it. sometimes I can do the same activity that caused no soreness and next time it does. says the randomness of it is what makes it good. if one specific thing I was doing was always making it sore it would be of more concern. He advised some of that it is the scar tissue. advised the scar tissue will be reforming for a couple yrs.

we discussed the fact the muscle doesn't flex the same, doesn't feel like it used to. advised me the repair isn't the same as the original tendon... in terms of placement and physically how it attaches, so my body would have to relearn some of its mechanics. I did a full arm workout yesterday and had a hockey practice. I curled 30# dumbells with the arm with the same volume I had before the injury and I have zero soreness today.

Last edited:

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
Glad to hear things are progressing well op. I can say first hand that it gets harder and harder to recover as one gets older.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
So what about adjusting the forks caused this injury to happen in the first place?

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002
So what about adjusting the forks caused this injury to happen in the first place?
the forks can slide side to side for different spacing. they are L shaped with the vertical side having a hook section that sits on the riser of the lift truck. I had my left had under the horizontal portion of the fork with palm up. Right hand on top of the vertical portion palm down. I was lifting with my left hand, pulling with my right. in the middle of the riser is an open section that allows the the forks to be completely removed. as I was lifting and pulling I lifted the fork too high when I got to this open section and lifted the fork off the riser. as I was lowering the fork I saw the hook section wasn't going to catch again on the riser. I had my arm starting to relax as I was setting the fork back down.... as I saw it wasn't catching on the riser I flexed my arm to lift it again and tore the tendon. Dr and Surgeon both said just must have been the right angle and right amount of pressure.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
the forks can slide side to side for different spacing. they are L shaped with the vertical side having a hook section that sits on the riser of the lift truck. I had my left had under the horizontal portion of the fork with palm up. Right hand on top of the vertical portion palm down. I was lifting with my left hand, pulling with my right. in the middle of the riser is an open section that allows the the forks to be completely removed. as I was lifting and pulling I lifted the fork too high when I got to this open section and lifted the fork off the riser. as I was lowering the fork I saw the hook section wasn't going to catch again on the riser. I had my arm starting to relax as I was setting the fork back down.... as I saw it wasn't catching on the riser I flexed my arm to lift it again and tore the tendon. Dr and Surgeon both said just must have been the right angle and right amount of pressure.

I've always been to weak to manhandle the forks like that. I've always raised the boom, tilted the forks down so they are hanging, and just slide them into place.

The only problem with doing that on like a bobcat / skid-steer loader is you have to basically slide out of the seat because you are putting the arms in the way. Wheel loader where you sit in the operator cab is a piece

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002
I've always been to weak to manhandle the forks like that. I've always raised the boom, tilted the forks down so they are hanging, and just slide them into place.

The only problem with doing that on like a bobcat / skid-steer loader is you have to basically slide out of the seat because you are putting the arms in the way. Wheel loader where you sit in the operator cab is a piece
I have a small Toyota lift truck.. 42" forks, maybe 80-100# each. Nothing major in terms of weight. Never dropped them, just a simple relax and then flex. I've curled more than they weigh before. Just a fluke accident

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
what did they tell you?
Fixed the partial tear and cleaned out the scar tissue. Very little pain and no meds after the 1st 24 hrs, just ice. Lots of ice. Hand was pretty swollen the 1st night so I switched to the breg cube that I swiped from my mother (No, she wasn't using it). That thing is the bomb. Lymph node (??) exploded just below the pit but it's not sore anymore, just looks like hell. Now it's just putting up with doing everything left handed. Go back Friday.

Doc walks through the recovery room and said, "The sex change was a success." :D Think I might charge him with malpractice because I still feel like a lesbian on the inside.

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002
Fixed the partial tear and cleaned out the scar tissue. Very little pain and no meds after the 1st 24 hrs, just ice. Lots of ice. Hand was pretty swollen the 1st night so I switched to the breg cube that I swiped from my mother (No, she wasn't using it). That thing is the bomb. Lymph node (??) exploded just below the pit but it's not sore anymore, just looks like hell. Now it's just putting up with doing everything left handed. Go back Friday.

Doc walks through the recovery room and said, "The sex change was a success." :D Think I might charge him with malpractice because I still feel like a lesbian on the inside.

my first 24 was a breeze. the second and third day out from surgery really hit me hardest.

did you talk to the surgeon about ice? most of what I was told said to avoid it as they didn't want anything reducing blood flow.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Hell, they've called me twice since Thursday to make sure I'm icing and not using my hand.

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002
I am around 9 months out from surgery. I had a followup with my surgeon on thursday. likely the last one unless something dramatic happens.

Arm is feeling really good the last couple weeks. I had a time in january where it was really bothering me. I did some remodeling work on a closet a month ago and it was really bothering me, but I think that is just the way it goes. I am having decent workouts again, but the arm definitely does not feel the same. Mainly the feel, and pump from workouts. Surgeon said it may never feel the same. He also advised it might take 4-5 yrs before I mentally get over the incident/surgery.... as in, if I was asked about the arm, I would reply,"oh, I haven't really thought about it". He further advised me he doesnt fear me retearing the repaired arm any more or less than my 'good' arm

SNC

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2001
I am around 9 months out from surgery. I had a followup with my surgeon on thursday. likely the last one unless something dramatic happens.

Arm is feeling really good the last couple weeks. I had a time in january where it was really bothering me. I did some remodeling work on a closet a month ago and it was really bothering me, but I think that is just the way it goes. I am having decent workouts again, but the arm definitely does not feel the same. Mainly the feel, and pump from workouts. Surgeon said it may never feel the same. He also advised it might take 4-5 yrs before I mentally get over the incident/surgery.... as in, if I was asked about the arm, I would reply,"oh, I haven't really thought about it". He further advised me he doesnt fear me retearing the repaired arm any more or less than my 'good' arm

So good news! Now get back at it!

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002
I'm trying. I am not a young man anymore. getting harder and harder just to keep (regain) what I had just a couple yrs ago. if I get my diet in check, that will be 80% of it. when your mind isn't 100% in it, it is even that much more challenging.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013

No, no, no, no, dont want him to do that per se. He should definitely be aware and cautious when working out his injured arm until it generally feels like how it used to or feels like his other arm. He should definitely be working out with it, but I would advise caution more with how hard he works it. Im assuming consistent exercise at a moderate intensity should help his arm recover faster, but pushing it too hard might just start to reinjure it. Im obviously not a doctor here, and he should obviously probably be following advice from a qualified medical professional over everything else, but I hate to see people think that because something is mostly healed, then that it is "healed", and that they can throw it in the meat grinder again. See it way too often with athletes, especially those in AKA, like Cain Velasquez.

SNC

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2001
No, no, no, no, dont want him to do that per se. He should definitely be aware and cautious when working out his injured arm until it generally feels like how it used to or feels like his other arm. He should definitely be working out with it, but I would advise caution more with how hard he works it. Im assuming consistent exercise at a moderate intensity should help his arm recover faster, but pushing it too hard might just start to reinjure it. Im obviously not a doctor here, and he should obviously probably be following advice from a qualified medical professional over everything else, but I hate to see people think that because something is mostly healed, then that it is "healed", and that they can throw it in the meat grinder again. See it way too often with athletes, especially those in AKA, like Cain Velasquez.
WOW did I miss something! Z knows his body better than anyone and I'm sure he would not ignore it because I said to get back at it.

SNC

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2001
I'm trying. I am not a young man anymore. getting harder and harder just to keep (regain) what I had just a couple yrs ago. if I get my diet in check, that will be 80% of it. when your mind isn't 100% in it, it is even that much more challenging.

I'm pushing 50 here myself, so I get it. Every day out of the gym is a week or more setback, or so it feels. It seems like fighting through injury is the thing we do most after 45 or so. Keep up the good fight!

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002
I'm definitely not fighting through this. a lot of what I am feeling, or not feeling, is due to the repair being different than what the good lord gave me. it isn't attached the same way, nor is it in the exact same location. the mechanics are different.

I am doing most everything.. just shying away from heavy barbell rows, and dead lifts. doubt I will ever go back to doing deads knowing what I know and see the potential risks. at this point it is more of a mental game than anything. I am 10-15 lbs heavier than I want to be as I am sitting right around 217-218 lbs. work starts up in a couple weeks, and I would at the very least like to have my diet in check by then. I am being very consistent with my training. While I am doing most the same lifts, it is a lot more controlled than what i was doing even just a yr ago

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Good update.

3 months out for me, 6 weeks of PT so far. Lots of 5lbs/high reps. Curls, hammer curls, deltoid work, upper back, forearms (3x15 twice/day)... I'm told it's to make sure the small muscles are doing their job (stabilizing) and to get the scar tissue "mobile" to help prevent future tendinitis type issues when I'm allowed to go heavier. I am more aware of what the shoulder/scapula is doing which is a good thing. Sloppy lifting hasn't been a help over the last 40 years. Duh.

Just hit 53 last week so we'll see what I can put back on.