Well I have a new office mate

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
Originally posted by: Zysoclaplem
Oh my she just got bitched out by the HR people. She had 2 grievances filed on her for moving something, I am not sure what, without first consulting the union...lol.
I am not joking. She moved something a few hundred feet down the hall to this office, 2 union people happened to see her, and they marched right down to HR.

i used to load semis for concerts... i got yelled at for stepping onto the dock and helping pull cases into the truck. that shit is serious business.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: NL5
Originally posted by: moshquerade
Originally posted by: SunnyD
#1 - You can work at a "unionized" company, opt not to be in the union, and yet still have to pay union dues. WTF? :roll:

#2 - She's (by description) fairly hot... so why not let her move stuff? Especially if there's bending over, high hemlines and low-cut blouses involved?

#3 - Props to Reagan for supposedly castrating unions (they still make too much anyway).

#4 - If I went on strike, I'd be fired. Must be nice to get loads of money for doing nothing!

#5 - Still want actual :camera:'s particularly in poses described by #2.

#6 - Go Mosh! WE LOVE YOU!!!

#1 that is your choice, anyone stupid enough to do that deserves it.

#2 wtf does "being hot" have to do with anything?

#3 You're wrong. Please see my previous post.

#4 When they go on strike they make nothing. You lose again.

#5 Google "tits"

#6 OK.

Oh c'mon.... now you've really lost us.
#4 - when they go on strike they make nothing.
i thought you knew everything about unions. they get strike pay. that's a fact. granted, it's not as much as their regular paycheck, but it's something.

First off, not all unions pay strike benefits. Second off that is money the members paid into an account - much like a savings account - to use in case of strike. They do not get PAID a dime. If I take money out of my savings account does that count as "getting paid"?

Again, you fail to understand even the most rudimentary facts about unions.
oh, they get paid. because if they didn't go on strike they wouldn't get the return on those union dues they've been paying in for years now would they?

sorry, you lost on that one. you failed to mention it and claimed they get *nothing* for going on strike.

NL5

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2003
I got a question for all you union bashers (and remember, I am NOT pro union for myself) -

If they are so great and powerful and make so much money, why are you all not working a Union job? Seriously.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
I got a question for all you union bashers (and remember, I am NOT pro union for myself) -

If they are so great and powerful and make so much money, why are you all not working a Union job? Seriously.
who said they were so great and powerful?!?!?!

NL5

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2003
#1 - You can work at a "unionized" company, opt not to be in the union, and yet still have to pay union dues. WTF? :roll:

#2 - She's (by description) fairly hot... so why not let her move stuff? Especially if there's bending over, high hemlines and low-cut blouses involved?

#3 - Props to Reagan for supposedly castrating unions (they still make too much anyway).

#4 - If I went on strike, I'd be fired. Must be nice to get loads of money for doing nothing!

#5 Google "tits"

#6 OK.

i thought you knew everything about unions. they get strike pay. that's a fact. granted, it's not as much as their regular paycheck, but it's something.

First off, not all unions pay strike benefits. Second off that is money the members paid into an account - much like a savings account - to use in case of strike. They do not get PAID a dime. If I take money out of my savings account does that count as "getting paid"?

oh, they get paid. because if they didn't go on strike they wouldn't get the return on that union due's money now would they?

sorry, you lost on that one. you failed to mention it and claimed they get *nothing* for going on strike.

You can't seriously tell me you don't understand the concept of a strike fund. That is their own money that is deducted from their own check and put into a savings account. Again, if I withdraw money out of my own savings, how is that getting paid? Please answer this question.

NL5

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2003

You for one.

Again, answer the question.

Chryso

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2004
I think that the unions have become too weak in the US and the corporations too strong.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001

#5 Google "tits"

#6 OK.

oh, they get paid. because if they didn't go on strike they wouldn't get the return on that union due's money now would they?

You can't seriously tell me you don't understand the concept of a strike fund. That is their own money that is deducted from their own check and put into a savings account. Again, if I withdraw money out of my own savings, how is that getting paid? Please answer this question.
If they got *nothing* to go on strike, no money, as you've said, they wouldn't get strike pay. A strike fund is not like a saving's account.

End of discussion. I have to get back to work.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001

You for one.

Again, answer the question.
Quote where I actually said that. :roll:
Good lord, you go to great lengths to prove yourself.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com

#5 Google "tits"

#6 OK.

Oh seriously - you have got to be joking me...

#1 - My choice? I can either "pay" to work there or I can walk away? I apply to a GOOD company, get an offer, but in order to work there I *MUST* pay union dues whether I want to or not JUST TO WORK THERE. Honestly, there's all sorts of reasons for working at places, why should I pad someone else's pocket with my paycheck?

#2 - In this thread, everything. Did you skip the OP's first post or something?

#3 - No, I'm not. IF it weren't for unions, inflation would not have occurred because wages could remain flat, instead of having to adjust pricing for greedy union workers. (That's a simplistic observation, but one that I'm sure even the collective IQ of ATOT can wrap their collective neuron around)

#4 - Per Mosh's retort. Seriously, you're paying your union dues into your rainy-day fund. Get real.

#5 - Google has nothing to do with this. Only the OP can provide for us here.

#6 - At least we agree on something! MOSH FOR PREZ!!!! :heart:

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
Originally posted by: Zysoclaplem
Oh my she just got bitched out by the HR people. She had 2 grievances filed on her for moving something, I am not sure what, without first consulting the union...lol.
I am not joking. She moved something a few hundred feet down the hall to this office, 2 union people happened to see her, and they marched right down to HR.

when i was a contractor at GE they had rules like that, we could only move stuff inside of our shop. anything that needed to be moved to anywhere outside our shop, we had to get a work order and wait hours/days for a union guy to move it

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006

the local elec union pays on average about 2 bucks an hour better than non union shops (like the one i work for) but that 2 buck an hour increase comes without the certainty of year round work. we have had guys drop us as soon as they finished their apprenticeship with us for union jobs seeking that bigger paycheck, but came right back to us in 6 months when they werent getting any work. of course, we didnt hire them back.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Originally posted by: hanoverphist

the local elec union pays on average about 2 bucks an hour better than non union shops (like the one i work for) but that 2 buck an hour increase comes without the certainty of year round work. we have had guys drop us as soon as they finished their apprenticeship with us for union jobs seeking that bigger paycheck, but came right back to us in 6 months when they werent getting any work. of course, we didnt hire them back.

:thumbsup:

we need a new thread-hijacking of the year category :)

bctbct

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2005

Oh seriously - you have got to be joking me...

#1 - My choice? I can either "pay" to work there or I can walk away? I apply to a GOOD company, get an offer, but in order to work there I *MUST* pay union dues whether I want to or not JUST TO WORK THERE. Honestly, there's all sorts of reasons for working at places, why should I pad someone else's pocket with my paycheck?

#2 - In this thread, everything. Did you skip the OP's first post or something?

#3 - No, I'm not. IF it weren't for unions, inflation would not have occurred because wages could remain flat, instead of having to adjust pricing for greedy union workers. (That's a simplistic observation, but one that I'm sure even the collective IQ of ATOT can wrap their collective neuron around)

#4 - Per Mosh's retort. Seriously, you're paying your union dues into your rainy-day fund. Get real.

#5 - Google has nothing to do with this. Only the OP can provide for us here.

#6 - At least we agree on something! MOSH FOR PREZ!!!! :heart:

waaaa, only apply to good non-Union companies if you have a problem with the Union. You want to enjoy the spoils the Union fights for, but not a pay a dime.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001

#5 Google "tits"

#6 OK.

The last time Teamster's had a strike, they paid $50 a week. My father, my girlfriends grandparents, and various friends work(ed) for UPS. You aren't being paid by the company for doing nothing. You're being paid (almost nothing) from the union's coffers which consist of the dues you have paid in the past for just this purpose. Just because you may never receive the money back doesn't mean you are getting paid when you do get it. Equate this to a 401k program. You may die before you reach retirement age and never withdraw the money. If you do reach retirement age, is your 401k paying you? No. You're being given your own money.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: bctbct
waaaa, only apply to good non-Union companies if you have a problem with the Union. You want to enjoy the spoils the Union fights for, but not a pay a dime.

And that's the exact mentality that makes unions suck. "Get off my turf, I'm a mobster!" What makes unions so special that they take opportunities away from other people.

bctbct

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2005
Originally posted by: bctbct

And that's the exact mentality that makes unions suck. "Get off my turf, I'm a mobster!" What makes unions so special that they take opportunities away from other people.

Ah no, we just dont like free loaders....