Dimbata

Jul 28, 2017
I recently bought a new router (Tenda F300), because the old one started failing. I set it up as usual, PPPoE and everything. Everything was working great until I turned on my wired PC and noticed that the WiFi speed drops down to around 1mbit/s. I tried absolutely everything from restarting the router to upgrading the firmware. Nothing worked, as soon as I turned on the PC the WiFi just drops down to 1mbit/s. Turning off the PC or just using the Sleep command fixes the problem. I thought I might be downloading something on the PC, so I searched everything, but even the Task Manager shows that nothing is using the internet. I looked at the router's log, no one was using my WiFi either, it's just me.

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
How are you measuring that speed drop? I assume it's over the Internet. If it is, then check your PCs network activity in task manager. Most of the time it could be just downloading updates.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
I'm not sure what is "new" about that router, other than it wasn't bought used? Ports are 10/100 only, doesn't support AES. It's like a router from the dark ages.
Seriously it's from 2013 and was considered low end even when it released.

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
I'm not sure what is "new" about that router, other than it wasn't bought used? Ports are 10/100 only, doesn't support AES. It's like a router from the dark ages.

Oh boy... do you mean no AES inferring no WPA2? If so.. for sure replace it.

Dimbata

Jul 28, 2017
How are you measuring that speed drop? I assume it's over the Internet. If it is, then check your PCs network activity in task manager. Most of the time it could be just downloading updates.
As I said in the post, I checked, nothing is downloading.

And about the router being old, I just need it for a few months then I'm moving. So if you have any idea how to fix it, without buying a newer one, it would be nice.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
You can try to see if there is a Firmware Update.

Otherwise (most people do not get it), in most cases there is Nothing to Fix in Wireless Router.

In other words either the combination of the Wireless Router the Network Hardware and the Environment yield good Result, or if the Not then the Router pe-rse is Not suitable for the given concoction..

:cool:

Reactions: Dimbata