weird: I can *feel* tylenol -- can anyone else?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Al Neri

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2002
WE ARE GETTING OFF TOPIC....

FYI, I took Tylenol the other day an hour later I forgot and said why do I feel this... ohhh... that's right.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I suppose this is a multiple-necro thread, but I tend to believe the OP. For many reasons I am not convinced there's any such thing as "the placebo effect".

For one thing, if it's so powerful, how come I've more than once had treatments for conditions that I was sure would work, yet they had no effect at all? (Including actual surgery). Where was this placebo effect when I needed it? Makes me suspicious that it only seems to kick in when people need to explain away something they have no evidence-based explanation for. Very much like "the God of the gaps" in that respect. And it smuggles in the entirely faith-based assumption that we know everything there is to know about how the human body works (there's an element of narcissism about that assumption, at least collective-narcissism)

For another I believe studies have failed to find any evidence that the placebo effect exists. I suspect it's just a popular cultural myth, precisely because it's an easy way to explain away anything people have no better explanation for, without having to directly accuse people of lying (or being crazy).

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
There are plenty of phenomena that occur that have a physical cause but are extremely difficult to prove via double blind; some things like musical genius cannot be at all. I mean, audio quality between using a DAC and the onboard audio can be proven "not statistically significant" but still be heard by the participants. The ending of Beethoven's Eroica Symphony has an rapidly flurry of notes in the coda of the 4th movement and the difference was very clear with my $100 Audio Advisor headphones.

One such reason is that such a specific excerpt which can test the limits of equipment are not selected by researchers in the first places.

People have "unicorn" powers all the time, like perfect memory for every second of their life. I see no reason to doubt taste unicorns asserting they are perceiving something. Especially now that COVID can "re-encode" taste and smell, often to detrimental effect.

blackrose2594

Oct 13, 2021
I came across this forum because I recently have been having some medical issues that started last year. Still trying to figure out the source of it, since it seems like doctors don't take you seriously nowadays or throw drugs at you and send you a bill.
Anyways, my point is I try not to take OTC medications these days due to the above. I have had migraines since I was about 9 years old (I'm 27 now) so prescription migraine medicine and OTC pain relievers have generally been common for me. Though.. suddenly started taking tylenol more last month because I had a 3 week long headache and worse migraines peppered into that time frame. Saw a neurologist that was pretty useless, gave me pills and had to express more concern for my sudden appearance of other neurological issues over the course of this year. As far as I'm aware I have never had covid, for reference, and managed to get an MRI and EEG order (I have tremors, cognitive and balance issues as of around Feb./Mar. 21). Short story long here, I have had this very feeling first with Advil after not taking it for a year (longer story) and after I've used Excedrin tension headache (Acetaminophen and caffeine). Caffeine is in my daily routine so that's nothing unusual for me. Though, I wasn't even thinking about the tylenol after I took it around 1030a at work, as my day progressed, I felt weak, out of it and an uneasy stomach. When I have a headache I usually attribute those feelings to those of the postdromal nature, like after a migraine. However, for the second time so far, I had an internal "vibration" feeling. First time I had that, had no tylenol involved. So I checked my BP after I got home. My BP is elevated as well as I had 2 irregular heartbeats detected. Which is new.
Following up with research, for some people it can cause an increase in BP which can cause the symptoms listed above. My mother had high BP so I have started to monitor mine following a spontaneous fainting episode back in about... June I believe? I wouldn't go so far as to completely discredit the OP on this, like doctors do lowkey, which has lead to people having to stop short of getting upset because they don't want to listen to you for more than 5mins and charge you for nothing. I don't think it's placebo. It might be worth writing down the particular episodes post tylenol use and what symptoms you experience. Maybe you just need a different OTC pain reliever. As I write this, I still feel sick and it's well out of my system by now seeing as it's currently 6pm and I took it at 1030a (3hr half life and 6hr pain relief total). Just my thoughts from the perspective of my own weird health issues. You're not alone. You'd be amazed what the 1% of people experience with seemingly normal things.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
i will take 1 unicorn please

a2f9f82bc0d81a9f6919bd40da2cd5cb.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: lxskllr

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I came across this forum because I recently have been having some medical issues that started last year. Still trying to figure out the source of it, since it seems like doctors don't take you seriously nowadays or throw drugs at you and send you a bill.
Anyways, my point is I try not to take OTC medications these days due to the above. I have had migraines since I was about 9 years old (I'm 27 now) so prescription migraine medicine and OTC pain relievers have generally been common for me. Though.. suddenly started taking tylenol more last month because I had a 3 week long headache and worse migraines peppered into that time frame. Saw a neurologist that was pretty useless, gave me pills and had to express more concern for my sudden appearance of other neurological issues over the course of this year. As far as I'm aware I have never had covid, for reference, and managed to get an MRI and EEG order (I have tremors, cognitive and balance issues as of around Feb./Mar. 21). Short story long here, I have had this very feeling first with Advil after not taking it for a year (longer story) and after I've used Excedrin tension headache (Acetaminophen and caffeine). Caffeine is in my daily routine so that's nothing unusual for me. Though, I wasn't even thinking about the tylenol after I took it around 1030a at work, as my day progressed, I felt weak, out of it and an uneasy stomach. When I have a headache I usually attribute those feelings to those of the postdromal nature, like after a migraine. However, for the second time so far, I had an internal "vibration" feeling. First time I had that, had no tylenol involved. So I checked my BP after I got home. My BP is elevated as well as I had 2 irregular heartbeats detected. Which is new.
Following up with research, for some people it can cause an increase in BP which can cause the symptoms listed above. My mother had high BP so I have started to monitor mine following a spontaneous fainting episode back in about... June I believe? I wouldn't go so far as to completely discredit the OP on this, like doctors do lowkey, which has lead to people having to stop short of getting upset because they don't want to listen to you for more than 5mins and charge you for nothing. I don't think it's placebo. It might be worth writing down the particular episodes post tylenol use and what symptoms you experience. Maybe you just need a different OTC pain reliever. As I write this, I still feel sick and it's well out of my system by now seeing as it's currently 6pm and I took it at 1030a (3hr half life and 6hr pain relief total). Just my thoughts from the perspective of my own weird health issues. You're not alone. You'd be amazed what the 1% of people experience with seemingly normal things.
OK, look, I read your post. I'm not a doctor or health professional. I am curious if you do much exercise. If not, I wonder if taxing your body with exercise might improve your health and lessen your health issues. Just wondering.