weird: I can *feel* tylenol -- can anyone else?

Al Neri

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2002
I always noticed this when I was a kid - I literally, can feel tylenol in my system. I have no idea how to explain it at all and probably saying this makes me sound pretty strange.

I used to equate the feeling with being sick (since I almost always felt it when I was sick and took tylenol)... later on when I would take tylenol for a mild headache the feeling came back.

I once took it when I was perfectly fine and sure enough I felt it.

Am I the only weirdo?

updated:
It is not at all a placebo effect.

There have been times where I forgot that I had taken Tylenol, the feeling comes on, I say "oh no, I may be getting sick" (due to my conditioning as a child) and then I recall that I took tylenol

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
I'm sure its all in your head. I used to take this slightly addictive medication and my cravings for it would instantly go away when the pill hit my tongue.

manlymatt83

Lifer
Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: Leros
I'm sure its all in your head. I used to take this slightly addictive medication and my cravings for it would instantly go away when the pill hit my tongue.

Agreed. I still take my blood pressure medicine in the morning, but I don't think it actually does anything for me. In fact, my doctor said that the medicine I got OFF a few months ago was doing more for me than this one, yet for some reason, I stopped that one and I'm fine, but if I stop this one, I'm not.

The reason? The other one I used to take at night. So now, I just go to sleep, and I wake up and take my other one. Since my blood pressure is really only high during the day, I think that the one in the morning helps me more, when really, its all in my head.

Sometimes, my blood pressure goes even HIGHER if I take half a pill, vs. if I take no pill at all. Weird right? Wrong. If I take no pill, its mostly because I forgot about it, and therefore, my BP is normal because I don't remember that I missed the pill. If I purposely take half, then my BP goes higher because I immediately worry that I only took half...

Blah. Its a long story.

Point is, its in your head.

Al Neri

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2002
Originally posted by: Leros

There have been times where I forgot that I had taken Tylenol, the feeling comes on, I say "oh no, I may be getting sick" (due to my conditioning as a child) and then I recall that I took tylenol

Train

Lifer
Jun 22, 2000
www.bing.com
did anyone else get reminded of the movie Orange County after reading the title of this thread?

For the uninformed:
girl gives Stanford Dean of Admissions excstasy thinking it was tylenol because Jack Black used the tylenol bottle to hide his drugs.... he bugs out and teh funny ensues

Al Neri

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2002
Originally posted by: Train
did anyone else get reminded of the movie Orange County after reading the title of this thread?

For the uninformed:
girl gives Stanford Dean of Admissions excstasy thinking it was tylenol because Jack Black used the tylenol bottle to hide his drugs.... he bugs out and teh funny ensues

no

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
There are side affects that affect some people with any drug. It's entirely possible you're feeling some side affect.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
You could be allergic. For example, I'm allergic to Benadryl. If I want to get high for 3 days, all I have to do is pop two Benadryl and it's all over. It's amazing how many cold medicines I can't take because of the same ingredients. I just have to suffer through it.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Gooberlx2
You could be allergic. For example, I'm allergic to Benadryl. If I want to get high for 3 days, all I have to do is pop two Benadryl and it's all over. It's amazing how many cold medicines I can't take because of the same ingredients. I just have to suffer through it.

By "high" do you mean sleepy and "out of it"? Cause it may technically may not be an "allergic reaction", but instead perhaps rather strong side effects for you?

sarahd10

Nov 30, 2016
I always noticed this when I was a kid - I literally, can feel tylenol in my system. I have no idea how to explain it at all and probably saying this makes me sound pretty strange.

I used to equate the feeling with being sick (since I almost always felt it when I was sick and took tylenol)... later on when I would take tylenol for a mild headache the feeling came back.

I once took it when I was perfectly fine and sure enough I felt it.

Am I the only weirdo?
updated:

Al, in reply to the above...
I came across this comment of yours from almost 10 years ago while google searching to see if there was any information out there on the odd 'Tylenol feeling' I've always experienced. Your explanation is exactly how I describe it myself! I'm pregnant, so I recently had to switch from Advil to Tylenol for headaches. I took some today and, sure enough, the feeling is back. It's not a sick feeling, or even anything that I can describe. It's something that I only experience when taking Tylenol. I also associated that feeling with being sick as a child, and whenever I encounter it I'll initially think that I'm getting sick.

I know your comment was from a long time ago, and maybe you'll never come across this, but I wanted to try and reach out to let you know that you are not alone. I know *exactly* what you mean!

Reactions: Cheesemoo

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Growing up I never took painkillers because I thought they were not good for you overall.

So in my late teens, I finally took some when I was having a bad headache or muscleache. Holy hell I could feel it. It's like a slight numbing / calming feel that radiated throughout my arms and legs. I could feel it 'working' - lessening the pain.

I drank 0 coffee back then as well. My body was a straight up drug virgin.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
At least it's an on topic necro, and fairly interesting at that.

I'd love to get either of these folks in a double blind study to see if it's a real thing or not. I won't discount that they can feel something on Tylenol... after all it's a drug that's designed for pain relief so it's doing something, so why wouldn't people be able to feel it?

I've seen weirder things. I had a friend who could taste the blue m&ms apart from the other colors (I think it was blue, but maybe brown). We thought he was full of crap but he could do it blindfolded. He could only pick out the one color, and it wasn't 100% perfect, but far better than random chance.

Reactions: pmv

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
My wife doesn't do well with medications. She basically goes almost as stupid with tylenol as she does with more hardcore meds. Posted a video of it once on these boards when she was basically loopy from just tylenol.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Al, in reply to the above...
I came across this comment of yours from almost 10 years ago while google searching to see if there was any information out there on the odd 'Tylenol feeling' I've always experienced. Your explanation is exactly how I describe it myself! I'm pregnant, so I recently had to switch from Advil to Tylenol for headaches. I took some today and, sure enough, the feeling is back. It's not a sick feeling, or even anything that I can describe. It's something that I only experience when taking Tylenol. I also associated that feeling with being sick as a child, and whenever I encounter it I'll initially think that I'm getting sick.

I know your comment was from a long time ago, and maybe you'll never come across this, but I wanted to try and reach out to let you know that you are not alone. I know *exactly* what you mean!

CONGRATS!