We seem to be getting closer:

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Seems I'm not alone with the little boy who cried wolf angle. I see more and more evidence there are people out there who have done research into Trumps past and are figuring him out and passing on the information. This piece is excellent and express well, I think, how dangerous is the territory into which Trump has taken us.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ca8bde9b69b1406c75d42/?utm_term=.32dd2c2eb43c

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Things look to be moving along properly as hoped for. There is more rope than neck to metaphorically hang him with.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
OP, getting closer to what, impeachment?
I'd imagine the #nevertrump Republicans, as personified by Mitt Romney and his plea last year, were always on board.
Now is simply a matter of waiting for a politically expedient time to move forward with impeachment.
Assuming, of course, he is unable to match his accusations with evidence.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
No impeachment, guys, Trump should be used as an anchor to drown the Republican party, GOP should not be allowed to wash their hands of him.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
No impeachment, guys, Trump should be used as an anchor to drown the Republican party, GOP should not be allowed to wash their hands of him.

All things considered, sticking to the nuclear anchor is overkill when there's fundie Pence and trickle down devastation already at play.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
So...the plan to get Pence in the president's seat is working?

I've often suspected that the (R)'s knew Pence couldn't win the election as the front face of the party, so they "backdoor'd" him. Get Trump/Pence into office, let Trump hang himself with his big mouth, impeach him, (or get him to quit) and VOILA! Pence as President.

Reactions: Sonikku

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
So...the plan to get Pence in the president's seat is working?

I've often suspected that the (R)'s knew Pence couldn't win the election as the front face of the party, so they "backdoor'd" him. Get Trump/Pence into office, let Trump hang himself with his big mouth, impeach him, (or get him to quit) and VOILA! Pence as President.
You think Pence would be a step UP from Trump? The only reason he hasn't been backhanded into next week is that he's the vice president. At least Trump pretends he isnt a racist asshole.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000

So let's be clear of the implications of your suggestion. If Trump is as hideous as you believe then we should let the nation as a whole suffer in order to stick it to the Republicans.

That's about morally equivalent to letting flood victims suffer because the Dems want "gayness" and that's what brought the US "down".

I'm thinking screw both those ideas.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
So let's be clear of the implications of your suggestion. If Trump is as hideous as you believe then we should let the nation as a whole suffer in order to stick it to the Republicans.

That's about morally equivalent to letting flood victims suffer because the Dems want "gayness" and that's what brought the US "down".

I don't think there is any "winning" in any scenario. If he does get yanked and Pence steps up, then we have the hell and brimstone Evangelical arm of the GOP coming to power and all of the social dogma associated with that. Much of the drama and bravoso around Trump is gone and congress will all fall into line without any major hysteria surrounding them. Then who knows what sort of conservative and socially degressive policies we'll have shoved down on us. Maybe by the time my kids are adults we'll be able to unfuck everything that has happened from a social policy, deregulation and a stacked conservative supreme court and get back to where we were before 45 stepped up to the plate.

If Trump stays around for the next few years, *AND* we don't end up in a war, maybe the WH will spend so much time in cleanup and damage control mode very little will actually get done and the focus on every little thing that they do will be scrutinized. Plus at least there's something interesting a lot of mornings when I wake up. So that entertainment is worth something.

Not that either is ideal...but one is at least singing while Rome burns.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
I don't think there is any "winning" in any scenario. If he does get yanked and Pence steps up, then we have the hell and brimstone Evangelical arm of the GOP coming to power and all of the social dogma associated with that. Much of the drama and bravoso around Trump is gone and congress will all fall into line without any major hysteria surrounding them. Then who knows what sort of conservative and socially degressive policies we'll have shoved down on us. Maybe by the time my kids are adults we'll be able to unfuck everything that has happened from a social policy, deregulation and a stacked conservative supreme court and get back to where we were before 45 stepped up to the plate.

If Trump stays around for the next few years, *AND* we don't end up in a war, maybe the WH will spend so much time in cleanup and damage control mode very little will actually get done and the focus on every little thing that they do will be scrutinized. Plus at least there's something interesting a lot of mornings when I wake up. So that entertainment is worth something.

I have several lawn chairs, popcorn and good beer. Pull up a seat.

My sincere hope is that Trump is removed and ALL SIDES examine THEIR OWN actions to determine how we came to be in this situation. If that happens this time with him in office might force a vitally needed introspection. Likely this will not happen and finger pointing and doing the same damn thing harder result, but there is an opportunity if people take it.

One can hope.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Meh I'm fine with Pence. Putting aside how unlikely impeachment is, if it actually happened it would probably be a scandal of sorts that would take months. During those months the government would probably be paralyzed so no meaningful legislation would pass. Even if Trump were removed, Pence would be tainted as well for having worked with him during this time. All the while the clock is ticking. All Democrats need to do is retake one house of Congress and right wing legislating is over.

While Pence is an absolutely vile individual (seriously, people should read more about how horrible he is), he's at least sane and emotionally stable. Trump's downfall would probably paralyze government for awhile and burn a whole bunch of the clock and we'd have the benefit of not having an actually crazy person running the country anymore. Even if Pence DID pass a bunch of right wing shit I'd still rather have him in office than Trump.

Feb 4, 2009
Meh I'm fine with Pence. Putting aside how unlikely impeachment is, if it actually happened it would probably be a scandal of sorts that would take months. During those months the government would probably be paralyzed so no meaningful legislation would pass. Even if Trump were removed, Pence would be tainted as well for having worked with him during this time. All the while the clock is ticking. All Democrats need to do is retake one house of Congress and right wing legislating is over.

While Pence is an absolutely vile individual (seriously, people should read more about how horrible he is), he's at least sane and emotionally stable. Trump's downfall would probably paralyze government for awhile and burn a whole bunch of the clock and we'd have the benefit of not having an actually crazy person running the country anymore. Even if Pence DID pass a bunch of right wing shit I'd still rather have him in office than Trump.

I kind of agree Pence isn't my guy but he appears to want to get stuff done.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
You think Pence would be a step UP from Trump? The only reason he hasn't been backhanded into next week is that he's the vice president. At least Trump pretends he isnt a racist asshole.

Do I think he'd be a step up? FUCK NO...well...maybe not anyway. At least he has SOME understanding about how the system works...even if he is a batshit crazy fundamentalist X-tian. He still MIGHT be an improvement over CheetoJeezus...maybe.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Does he rant on twitter? No? That's a step up.

Quote from my (just turned) 9 year old yesterday - "I don't like a lot of the things we read in news at school, but it's a lot more interesting since Trump was elected".

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

Doesn't matter, America doesn't deserve to be saved. If everything went a positively as you envision, no lessons will be learned. Lessons need to be learned, and we are dealing with some real stubborn shit-stains.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Doesn't matter, America doesn't deserve to be saved. If everything went a positively as you envision, no lessons will be learned. Lessons need to be learned, and we are dealing with some real stubborn shit-stains.

What makes you think lessons will be learned? Did people learn anything from GWB? Nope.

I don't see value in 'teaching lessons', I just want to find a way out of this disaster of a president.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013

Undoing Roe v Wade is at the VERY top of Pence's agenda.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

I'll say this: If you listen to the majority of Trump voters, they say that voting for Trump was simply to "Stick it to the libs!"

Not saying two wrongs make a right, but this is pretty much why we are here. We let children make decisions.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
The battle is for hearts and minds. It isn't so important what happens to Trump in reality as it is what happens to him in people's minds. Right now he is worshiped by a lot of people as a father figure who is there protect them and make America great again. Right now multitudes see the democrats and the media, the truth itself as the enemy of those things. What needs to change is how they see Trump. Attacking him only improves his position, but by constantly focusing on the fact that he's a manipulator who uses people's patriotism to blind and trick them, to show how little respect he has for their intelligence, how willing he is to mislead them and harm them in the process, eventually that reality will start to snowball as more and more people see through his act. The psychology of why he does what he does needs to be focused on and exposed. That's where dems should focus their attention, in my opinion. Simply point out what he is doing ans why over and over again. Trump can play on people's psychology only as long as people don't see the game he plays. Once you know the rules the Emperor will stand necked.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
I'll say this: If you listen to the majority of Trump voters, they say that voting for Trump was simply to "Stick it to the libs!"

Not saying two wrongs make a right, but this is pretty much why we are here. We let children make decisions.

Then the question to ask oneself is whether to be another child or an adult?

HTFOff

Golden Member
Oct 3, 2013
The battle is for hearts and minds. It isn't so important what happens to Trump in reality as it is what happens to him in people's minds. Right now he is worshiped by a lot of people as a father figure who is there protect them and make America great again. Right now multitudes see the democrats and the media, the truth itself as the enemy of those things. What needs to change is how they see Trump. Attacking him only improves his position, but by constantly focusing on the fact that he's a manipulator who uses people's patriotism to blind and trick them, to show how little respect he has for their intelligence, how willing he is to mislead them and harm them in the process, eventually that reality will start to snowball as more and more people see through his act. The psychology of why he does what he does needs to be focused on and exposed. That's where dems should focus their attention, in my opinion. Simply point out what he is doing ans why over and over again. Trump can play on people's psychology only as long as people don't see the game he plays. Once you know the rules the Emperor will stand necked.

This week trump is a master manipulator. Next week he's a man-brat. The week after that? He's hitler again.

Stop over thinking this. Trump ran against Hilary and the DNC, before that the RNC tried to take him down.

People infinitely more qualified to shape opinions than you already exhausted every option.

Moral of the story - pick a better candidate. Preferably one not under FBI investigation?

Sorry, not investigation - "security inquiry". Yeah.