We need more modern type fps shooters

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Apr 17, 2005
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
Originally posted by: CalvinHobbes
I'd like a first person shooter with realism as the main focus.

There is, it is called Red Orchestra. No bunny hopping, slow paced, you have know idea how many rounds you have left (unless you count the shots), etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R...hestra:_Ostfront_41-45
Red Orchestra is noted for its unusual emphasis on realism and authenticity.

yeah i've heard good things about it. personally, i dont think i have the patience for that type of game.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: bamacre

Realism, you mean like when you die, not only do you not get the restart the mission, but you can't even play the game anymore?

;)

like that

put in another dollar and restart with a new character ... yours is dead
-might be OK for an arcade game

wth are we gonna have 'holodecks' [like ST]?
-with safety protocols, of course

tigersty1e

Golden Member
Dec 13, 2004

Realism, you mean like when you die, not only do you not get the restart the mission, but you can't even play the game anymore?

;)

I also would like to see a big single player game with modern warfare and realism.

Realism like Rainbow six only in Iraq fighting Sadam.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Modern is boring. If you want modern go and join the army.

I want more zombies and nazis.

badkarma1399

Feb 21, 2007
Originally posted by: BFG10K

Dude, but i hear theres no respawn in RL. What happens if i get lag out there? I'm dead!

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: badkarma1399

Dude, but i hear theres no respawn in RL. What happens if i get lag out there? I'm dead!

every religion tells us there IS a respawn :p

:D

i want more aliens and mutants to frag

VERTIGGO

Apr 29, 2005
Originally posted by: GundamSonicZeroX
Originally posted by: pontifex
Originally posted by: TehMac
Originally posted by: pontifex
Originally posted by: TehMac
Yeah, that's why I was hoping a PC BF game was in the works, but DICE seems to be working on Console games. :/

:confused:

What n00b?

Unless BF stands for something else, there already is a Battlefield game for the PC, its called Battlefield 2...

they even have a WWII, Vietnam era, and futuristic version of it as well.

and who are you calling a noob, noob?

He's saying that the BF games are very consolish.

No, he's saying that DICE should be making another PC game in the BF lineup (or next-gen BF style) but they're too busy dropping turds into the console market to work on something for us.

BTW, Call of Duty 4 looks retarded. It's the same disconnected consoly bad storyline too many bumps just for bumps sake 4gameplay from COD 2 with a reskin. If you want modern combat gems look for mods like Insurgency. That's where you find "realism" and at least dedicated people who like modern combat "simulation" in a sense.

Laminator

Jan 31, 2007
I'm guessing when you say "modern", you mean "military". Far Cry, for example, is a modern shooter with real weapons and human targets. It's just really unrealistic.

Realistic military shooters:
- Operation Flashpoint, VBS (for the truly hardcore), Armed Assault, "Gen 2 Game", "Operation Flashpoint 2"
- Rainbow Six series and Ghost Recon series
- SWAT series
- America's Army
- Insurgency for Half-Life 2
- Battlefield 2 Realism and Point of Existence for Battlefield 2
- DC Realism for Desert Combat

Non-realistic military shooters:
- Desert Combat for Battlefield 1942
- Battlefield 2
- Joint Operations and Delta Force: Black Hawk Down series
- Soldier of Fortune series
- Full Spectrum Warrior
- Close Combat: First to Fight
- Counter-Strike series

Realistic WWII Shooters:
- Red Orchestra
- Forgotten Hope series for Battlefield 1942 and Battlefield 2
- Day of Defeat series

So there are plenty out there. What there HASN'T been in a while is a game like Call of Duty 4 - an unrealistic military shooter with the focus on a cinematic, single-player storyline. All of the ones we've had were either WWII, Vietnam (like Men of Valor), semi-Sci-Fi (like Far Cry or FEAR), or Sci-Fi (like Halo and Quake 4). It'll be interesting to see how this goes.

Cutthroat

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2002

I really don't like games with non-human enemies...

Except for zombies, I would love to see another Wolfenstein game.

Imaginer

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Originally posted by: TheUnk
No, we need more medievil shooters.

:D

I am sorry but the first thing that popped in my mind is a Robin Hood type game with that remark. :p But a game that is a first person view (or hell maybe a third) based on medieval combat with knights, on mounts, jousting, and archery, sieges on castles, etc would be a nice change of pace.

Skacer

Banned
Jun 4, 2007
Originally posted by: Imaginer
I am sorry but the first thing that popped in my mind is a Robin Hood type game with that remark. :p But a game that is a first person view (or hell maybe a third) based on medieval combat with knights, on mounts, jousting, and archery, sieges on castles, etc would be a nice change of pace.

You mean mount & blade except with blizzard style production values.

Imaginer

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Originally posted by: Skacer

You mean mount & blade except with blizzard style production values.

No fantasy, I do not want to see any sort of Warcraftery in this one. But give the quality that Blizzard can produce. Just leave out the WoW....

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
I would like to play a fps that is based on colonial era weapons.
Muskets, cannons, bow and arrow, swords,rockets, horses, supply wagons etc.

example:
You have to hold a point from the british.
You fire your musket and miss, takes 20 secs to reload so you can either take the time to reload or switch to a knife or baynoet.
While thats going on your enemy you were shooting at can either use his musket, if he hasn't already, or charge you with his sword.

I think it would be fun to slow down gameplay.
Right now it seems fps are only trying to speed up the game and that doesn't leave alot of room for strategy.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Modelworks
I would like to play a fps that is based on colonial era weapons.
Muskets, cannons, bow and arrow, swords,rockets, horses, supply wagons etc.

example:
You have to hold a point from the british.
You fire your musket and miss, takes 20 secs to reload so you can either take the time to reload or switch to a knife or baynoet.
While thats going on your enemy you were shooting at can either use his musket, if he hasn't already, or charge you with his sword.

I think it would be fun to slow down gameplay.
Right now it seems fps are only trying to speed up the game and that doesn't leave alot of room for strategy.

that would be too slow, unless you were commanding a squad, then maybe it might be ok.
Actually, I'm not really sure how that would work in that setting anyway. the British would just be lined up in a row. I just can't see how this game would work.

We need more Western FPS games though, that would be about as far back as I would go for a FPS.

Skacer

Banned
Jun 4, 2007
No fantasy, I do not want to see any sort of Warcraftery in this one. But give the quality that Blizzard can produce. Just leave out the WoW....

Look up "Mount & Blade" sometime to understand what I was referring to :p

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
I've had enough of FPS. Give me a game that can rival Xenogears in story and soul shock.

"It was the hull of a colossal spacecraft..." still gives me chills.

But as long as we are going to talk about FPS, how about some co-op? I don't mean Doom or Serious Sam or Quake II or even Halo style co-op where you just add more guns and enemies and play the same tired single player game... I mean games like System Shock 2, Half-life, Resident Evil, Metroid Prime, Legend of Zelda, that are designed around co-op play from the very start.

Games that play like epic single player games with puzzles and plot,

I can totally imagine playing a Zelda or Metroid style game where two+ players have to work together to solve one of the dungeons, etc.

I'm soooooo tired of 'MULTI PLAYER SUPPORT!' == death match in 3 arena maps and game play that has no bearing on the single player game whatsoever.

Playing System Shock 2 with the multiplayer patch was soooo damn fun and burned many a weekend, and that game wasn't even really made with multiplayer in mind, but there were enough playing styles in single player mode that it worked with two or three players huddle together in the dark. Imagine if the maps themselves were designed for co-op puzzle solving from the very start...

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
There are already plenty of modern FPS. I want more old fashioned fantasy games like Hexen and Thief.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: BladeVenom
There are already plenty of modern FPS. I want more old fashioned fantasy games like Hexen and Thief.

is there ever gonna be a Thief 4?

the last info i could find was from '04

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=56449
"Deus Ex: Invisible War was a good game with solid reviews, but not enough people bought it. We'll fix that in the future. There definitely will be a Deus Ex 3. People want another Thief, too. We'll make that series more modern, though," he said, adding, "the medieval thing's run its course," which is sure to bound to upset fans of Garrett's shadow-hopping antics.

"the medieval thing's run its course,"
:thumbsdown:

mrblotto

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2007
That Project Offset is looking pretty sweet. And hell yeah, bring on some more Thief! It'd be a shame IMO if they 'modernized' Garrett...

DannyLove

Lifer
Oct 17, 2000
BF2 is a great modern warefare game. Still is despit all the whiners out there who are BF2 haters cause they probably sucked to begin with.

I'm hoping CoD4 can go beyond that, also, i have high hopes with Crysis.... so look out for that.

marmasatt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003

GRAW isn't bad. Pretty realistic, but literally the hardest shooter I've ever played. The second one comes out soon IIRC. Myself, I like to shoot a mix of people, zombies, nazi's and demons.....and maybe a rabid dog now and again.