We are getting Thunder Snow here

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Eli
That would be cool. :) Never seen thundersnow myself.
Thundersnow is freaky. Especially when you are driving through it and it's a total white out. Then all of a sudden you see a flash of lightning followed by a loud boom. It's Twilight Zone material right there.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
In Oregon, we get a lot of pea sized hail storms with thunder, but that's about it.

We get thunder snow occasionally over here on the East Side, especially in Wallowa County.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: moshquerade
That would be cool. :) Never seen thundersnow myself.
Thundersnow is freaky. Especially when you are driving through it and it's a total white out. Then all of a sudden you see a flash of lightning followed by a loud boom. It's Twilight Zone material right there.
A hell of a surprise, too. I don't like thunderstorms as it is (lightning is fine, but I don't like loud noises, much less sudden ones), but when there's a calm, quiet snowstorm outside, the last thing you're expecting is a sudden shockwave of thunder.

And what the hell, the local news is running sound bites from people "stocking up" before this storm. From what I've seen of Erie, nothing short of a glacier moving at 100mph would even cause schools to close. The forecast is for 6-10" of snow tonight, 8" tomorrow, and probably the same on Tuesday.
It'll be a pain in the ass (and back) to shovel the car out, but that's because campus will be open.
In 4 years, the campus closed once because of snow, and I think that was only because someone ran into a power pole and shut down campus for a few hours. Our main (only) feed seems to consist of one length of 24 gauge magnet wire, and this one piece can take the electric company many hours to repair. And no, they don't want to give us a second power feed.

BlackTigers

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2006
I drove through one last year. Freakiest thing ever.

Everything looks so serene and white, because you know...it's snowing. Then you get that loud fucking BOOOM and are like...wtf?

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
Originally posted by: destrekor
I don't think I've ever seen thundersnow myself, and am saddened by that.

methinks you can only hear thundersnow not see it...