StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
WCG race from December 01, 00:00 UTC to December 26, 00:00 UTC* 23:59:59 UTC

*) or rather, to December 25, 23:59 UTC

Thanks, I suppose it is 00:00 UTC start and end times?
I don't think the TeAm is registered for the WCG Christmas race yet. I think @petrusbroder would need to sign us up if there is interest.
Sorry I can't because I am not able to log in. Some how my password is not working, and I can not reach the old mail box. I am working on this ...
Just as I wrote the above post my log-in succeeded.
We are now registered for the WCG Christmas race.
... and in the "The first1th Christmas Challenge" (because of the funny name)
The WCG Christmas challenge should have started by now, but we are dependent on WCG for stats, and that only happens every.....24 hours? 12 hours? Anyway, I'm holding my bunkers until I see some points here:
https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/challenge/viewTeamChallenge.do?challengeId=9225

As far as I understand, WCG calculates team challenge stats (in WCG points) based on user stats (in BOINC credits, multiplied by 7) snapshot taken at 00:00 UTC. But they do not update various web pages which show WCG points immediately after the calculation, but in 12 hour intervals. Hence, 00:00 UTC stats typically show up at 12:00 UTC. but about 1 hour later.

Last year's WCG X-mas race thread: "WCG Christmas, errr, December Race(s) 2017"

The stats:
  • Christmas Race 2018, by points, all WCG projects, created by team Special: Off-Topic
  • The first1th Christmas Challenge, by points, all WCG projects, created by team BOINC@TOKYO (edit: started already on November 30, 00:00 UTC but ends on December 26, 00:00 UTC 23:59:59 like the Christmas Race)
edit 2: typo
edit 3: stats updates take a while to show up, but it's less than 12 hours
edit 4, December 24: The race ends at 23:59:59 UTC on the end date, not at 00:00:00 UTC on the end date.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZipSpeed and biodoc

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
I moved my 2P over to WCG this morning and am running SCC tasks to get decent PPD. As soon as I finish up some NFS tasks on my other 2 computers, I'll switch those to WCG .

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Day 3, team stats:

aHmwBq0.png

(Top 20 only; in WCG points. XtremeSystems have joined the race now and should show up near the top some time soon.)

TeAm AnandTech's user stats from Boincstats:

Mt3Rpyj.png

(In BOINC credits. Since Boincstats pulls stats well before 24:00 UTC, the days in this table do not correspond 1:1 with the days in the team stats table. Most if not all of the Dec 1 credits in the user table were sent before the race began.)

I plan to post stats every three days.

Last edited:

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
With the December 4 stats update, we passed Czech National Team. But we are still at rank 6, because at the same time XtremeSystems went from rank 76 to rank 3.

Reactions: TennesseeTony

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
So far, I ran a random mix of all WCG subprojects on two dual E5-2690 v4 hosts with Linux. I collected run times and credits of the latest 100 valid tasks of each currently active subproject and can compare with same data from a year ago.

Microbiome Immunity Project​
29 credits/hour/thread in November 2017 (running MIP exclusively, and this was only shortly after MIP was rolled out)​
32 credits/hour/thread in December 2018 (running MIP mixed with other projects)​
Smash Childhood Cancer​
43 credits/hour/thread in November 2017 (smaller sample size)​
44 credits/hour/thread in December 2018​
OpenZika​
48 credits/hour/thread in November 2017 (smaller sample size)​
53 credits/hour/thread in December 2018​
FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2​
not active in November 2017​
29 credits/hour/thread in December 2018​
Mapping Cancer Markers​
30 credits/hour/thread in November 2017​
30 credits/hour/thread in December 2018​
Remember that other hardware & OS combinations will receive other distributions of credits/hour/thread. AFAIK, WCG makes an effort to equalize PPD between their subprojects, across the collective hosts of all contributors. Therefore, some hosts will get their best PPD in MCM, other hosts in FAAH2, others in SCC, and so on. Mine happen to perform best in OpenZika.

If some of the WCG contributors profile their hosts and limit them to projects with best PPD, then I figure that WCG as a whole benefits from it by having hosts dedicated to the areas where they perform best. (In the rather theoretical case that most WCG contributors did this, then the credits would have to be rebalanced such that all subprojects keep receiving enough processing capacity.)

PS,
measurements like this should take a sufficient number of tasks into account, due to variability between them. With my samples of 100 tasks each, I got the following coefficients of variation ( = standard deviation divided by average):
Microbiome Immunity Project​
25 % CV of runtime, 26 % CV of credits, 5 % CV of credits/runtime​
Smash Childhood Cancer​
17 % CV of runtime, 19 % CV of credits, 17 % CV of credits/runtime​
OpenZika​
22 % CV of runtime, 21 % CV of credits, 5 % CV of credits/runtime​
FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2​
5 % CV of runtime, 6 % CV of credits, 1 % CV of credits/runtime​
Mapping Cancer Markers​
7 % CV of runtime, 7 % CV of credits, 7 % CV of credits/runtime​

Last edited:

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
[H] and XS are really cranking out the points. FB will be very competitive next year when they join league 1.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
BTW, the Outsmart Ebola Together distributed computing project has now been completed (brief post from December 5). The data generated by the contributors still needs to be analyzed, and the researcher is still running a fundraiser for this undertaking.

Edit:
Somebody is routinely posting estimated completion dates of the various WCG subprojects.
Here is the latest estimation from a post on November 29:
0wIG97K.png

In other news, WCG is scheduling a maintenance downtime starting Monday December 10, 15:00 UTC.
We anticipate that the work will take approximately one hour.
During some of this time, volunteers will not be able to upload or download new work, and some parts of the website will not be accessible.

Last edited:

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Stats of Christmas Race 2018, December 7...9 (top 20, scores are in WCG points):
We advanced from 6th to 5th yesterday, and are heading towards 4th. :-)
Meanwhile, [H]ard|OCP have their work cut out keeping Team China at bay, who have turned up the dials.

cMg0q6s.png

Our 2nd in The first1th Christmas Challenge is stable.

TeAm AnandTech's user stats (based on boincstats, scores are in boinc credits):

BsfI9jy.png

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Stats of Christmas Race 2018, December 12...15 (top 20 only, scores are in WCG points):
We are holding 4th rank by accumulated score and by daily production.
[H]ard|OCP have been strengthening their lead over Team China again during the last three days.
And XtremeSystems... keep being extreme.

EiY7MPZ.png

We are holding 2nd rank in The first1th Christmas Challenge.

nDTSAxa.png

Last edited:

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Stats of Christmas Race 2018, December 16...18 (top 20 only, scores are in WCG points):

XlfTZJ1.png

Bad news:
Due to interference by the PrimeGrid race, we may drop to rank 5 again soon.

Good news:
(a) The PG race will be over in 3 days, which gives us a small time window to secure 4th in the X-mas race again.
(b) Our rank 2 in The first1th Christmas Challenge looks secure despite the PG race.
(c) The number of TeAm mates helping out in the WCG effort is growing. (New today in the race stats: IcefireQuickSilver.)

qUObac3.png

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/research/viewAllProjects.do

98% for SCC. I guess I won't be getting my 50 year badge from that one...'only' 15 years to go. :confused: (two months away at current production)
The progress bar is showing 100 % now. This project is about to receive a really nice X-mas present from the WCG community this year.

EDIT,
wait, the progress bar may reset itself... I think the same has happened for MCM too.
caitilarkin said:
The project is absolutely not finishing in two weeks, or any time soon.

The project bar completion rates bounce around if researchers run through one set of work units before sending us the next set(s). These researchers are definitely sending us more.

On a more general note, now that OET is complete on WCG, none of the other projects are slated to end soon, either. Please take the project completion bars with a grain of salt.
WCG forum link

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Stats of Christmas Race 2018, December 19...21 (top 20 only, scores are in WCG points):

Screenshot_20181222_015539.png

We are still clinging onto rank 4.
I have a hunch that we will be increasing our distance from Decrypthon during the remaining days of this challenge.

Team China's PPD dropped a little bit, and thus HardOCP increased their lead over them.
XtremeSystems continue to produce on a whole other level.

Meanwhile we remain 2nd in The first1th Christmas Challenge. And that's not going to change anymore if we succeed to secure 4th in the Christmas Race.

Screenshot_20181222_020515.png

Four more days to go.

Edit on December 24: The race ends at December 26, 23:59:59 UTC, not 00:00:00 UTC.

Last edited: