[wccftech] Overclocked 780 Ti Benchmarks Leaked – Show Massive Overclocking Headroom

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
Benches don't measure it well so even when the VRAM pool is too small they won't show much. I ran out of VRAM a lot in Skyrim at 1920x1200 on a GTX 780 and had to remove some texture mods to get back to good performance. In terms of average FPS it made hardly any difference, but when I ran out of VRAM I got frequent "stutters," i.e. isolated frame times that were 10x my average frame times.
I believe that is unique to only this one game. The devs may not have taken into account many gigabytes of mod textures that could cause such issues. And even so, that may not necessarily be strictly a hardware (lack of vidmem) issue but of poor game coding that doesnt efficiently handle the loading or culling of textures. After a particularly difficult scene, ie, outdoors with much detailed vegetation, dense clouds, streaming water etc, and you go indoors to simpler scenes, does the vidmem usage get less? If it doesnt, there may be a clue that bad coding is involved. The game coding serves the vanilla game well without exagerrated texture mods thrown at it. Anything excessive may become a problem.

Some of the mods I've seen are just gratuitously res'd up (4k resolutions) and make almost little visual difference (beyond 1028x1028) but can hamper performance drastically. If thats the course of new game developement where every Tom, Dick and Harry gets to throw in their mega res mods, then yes, by all means, go buy a card with 6 or 8gb videm. But fortunately, most games are closed to major modding of this nature. I would think devs are typically more concerned with getting the best looking AND performing games that can accomodate the widest range of hardware, even with low vid mem cards simply to broaden their market and sales potential. Of course while allowing for high end components to make the most of that with higher settings.

wand3r3r

Diamond Member
May 16, 2008
Compared to R9 290X, the GTX 780 Ti reportedly has higher peak memory bandwidth, higher peak texel fillrate, higher peak pixel fillrate, higher peak geometry throughput, higher peak GFLOPS throughput, higher tesselation performance, and higher OC headroom (in addition to much less noise and much less heat on reference models). This is a beast of a card, and is just about the last thing that would become obsolete compared to any other GPU out there.

Marketing terms aside, you "forgot" a substantially higher price. :whiste:

Did you also forget it's not even dx11.1 compliant, much less dx11.2?

What about the lesser amount of ram?

Lots of green marketing promotion posts going on lately. We haven't even seen the card yet either, much less anything official.

It's lining up to be a good card, but at a high price which may not be very justifiable..

bubbarock

Oct 19, 2013
780 Ti is beast!

780 Ti Vs. 290x =
GTX580 Vs. 6970
GTX480 Vs. 5870
GTX280 Vs. 4870

This card will become a nice benchmark against Mantle.

290x beats 780Ti
290 Beats 780 (it is already pretty close)

If Mantle does not help 290x beat 780ti then there is no ridicule.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
This card will become a nice benchmark against Mantle.

290x beats 780Ti
290 Beats 780 (it is already pretty close)

If Mantle does not help 290x beat 780ti then there is no ridicule.

Basing expectations on 290X vs Titan performance, against the 290X I expect the 780ti to come out ahead at 1080p except for Battlefield 4 and any other Mantle enabled games to come in the future, go back and forth at 1440p/1600p and lose across the board at 4K.

This seems the most realistic expectation going on 780ti vs Titan being the addition of 1 SMX and a core/memory overclock.

ams23

Feb 18, 2013
@ Wand3r3r: the GTX 780 Ti is ahead in so many metrics vs. R9 290X that it would be insane NOT to command a higher price (with superior build quality and industrial design too IMHO). Anyway, considering that GTX 780 Ti will have 20-30+% better performance in many games at 19x12 or 25x16 resolution at high detail settings compared to R9 290X in [Not-So]Quiet mode that has been properly warmed up, for a 30% price premium but including three free triple AAA games, the price seems more than realistic to me. And the benefits of having MORE than 3 GB VRAM is almost nil in most scenarios, as you will see when GTX 780 Ti is benched against GTX Titan.

Last edited:

caswow

Sep 18, 2013
@ Wand3r3r: the GTX 780 Ti is so dominant in so many metrics vs. R9 290X that it would be insane NOT to command a higher price (with superior build quality and industrial design too IMHO). Anyway, considering that GTX 780 will have 20-30+% better performance in many games at 19x12 or 25x16 resolution compared to [Not-So]Quiet mode, for a 30% price premium but including three free triple AAA games, the price seems more than realistic to me. And the benefits of having MORE than 3 GB VRAM is almost nil in almost all scenarios, as you will see when GTX 780 Ti is benched against GTX Titan.

i must have missed all the 780ti reviews:confused:

Triglet

Nov 22, 2007
So a 780 OC'd to around 1300 MHz is a boss if I'm reading those charts correctly. I didn't realize it was that powerful compared to the 290x/780Ti.

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
So a 780 OC'd to around 1300 MHz is a boss if I'm reading those charts correctly. I didn't realize it was that powerful compared to the 290x/780Ti.
You're adding over 40% clock speed, that's a tremendous leap. At 1.3GHz my 7970 easily comes within range of those cards at stock as well.

ams23

Feb 18, 2013

Well, an R9 290X in [Not-So]Quiet mode has virtually no OC headroom on the reference design due to thermal and fan speed constraints, and even in Uber[Loud] mode there are still thermal and fan speed constraints that limit OC ability on air cooling. On the other hand, the GTX 780 Ti is said to have tremendous OC ability due in part to a new power management/allocation system, so it should pull way ahead of an OC'd GTX 780. We will find out soon enough I suppose.

schmuckley

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2011
Last edited by a moderator:

wand3r3r

Diamond Member
May 16, 2008
According to the official data NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti would perform 30% better than 290X. Of course we are looking at the numbers from NVIDIA, so it’s necessary to take these numbers with a grain of salt. I was told that in ‘real’ benchmarks GeForce GTX 780 Ti is about 20% faster than 290X in Quiet Mode. In Uber Mode R9 290X is still slower than 780 Ti, but only by 13%. If we add 4k benchmarks this number will get even better in AMD favor.

30% -> 13% and that's on the old 290x drivers.

It doesn't even look like it's going to be a big win, if at all. With the new drivers coming out in tomorrows 290 launch (where the 290 with the new drivers supposedly beats the 290x launch numbers), I wonder if that will even decrease to a few percent? Then high resolutions won't have a chance and it's only winning in low resolutions and losing in high resolutions. In my opinion it looks like the 780 ti is just another overhyped card, like the 290x the titan 'slayer' was rumored to be. So we may just be left with the NV price gouging yet again. Of course this is all subject to rumor, judgement has to be reserved until we see facts. This is entirely speculation.

HurleyBird

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2003
I wouldn't be surprised if Nvidia is also preparing a new performance driver for the 780 Ti launch.

Teizo

Golden Member
Oct 28, 2010
If it is the top performer in extreme resolutions, does it matter how much it has?
If it has higher memory bandwidth and does better with less total memory, then it really isn't a big deal. All that matters is performance.

Still, I would prefer to see it about $75 less in price though, then offer a 6GB version should people want.

wand3r3r

Diamond Member
May 16, 2008

I may be wrong, it will be the first NV card that even supports 11.1 if it does. I doubt they revamped the 780 ti to support the missing features since they haven't on any other Kepler based card and this is just a full die finally being released. If I have to guess I'd say Galaxy is printing that although they only support a portion of dx 11.2. I guess we'll know for sure soon.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
Anyway, considering that GTX 780 Ti will have 20-30+% better performance in many games at 19x12 or 25x16 resolution at high detail settings compared to R9 290X in [Not-So]Quiet mode that has been properly warmed up, .

Seriously 30% faster than R9 290X at 1200p/1600p? You are saying it is also 30% faster than the Titan at 1600p then? :confused:

You keep talking about R9 290X overclocking but there have been no after-market R9 290X cards yet. Not many people will buy a reference card, especially a reference R9 290X. Yet you keep talking about R9 290X's overclocking and ignoring that after market 290Xs will launch later. For a lot of PC gamers it would be a lot more interesting to see after-market 780Ti oc vs. after-market R9 290x oc.

Even if 780Ti beats R9 290X by 20%, if R9 290 is $399-449, with improved CF performance, R9 290 CF could beat GTX780 Ti by a substantial amount.

Finally, you cannot compare NV's vs. AMD's theoretical specs based on pixel fill-rate, texture fill-rate and other metrics you listed besides Tessellation. This has been shown to be true for many generations. In fact, theoretical numbers tell half the story and are often completely wrong.

"Even with the same number of ROPs and a similar theoretical performance limit (29.6 vs 28.16), 7970 is pushing 51% more pixels than 6970 is." ~ AT

TreVader

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2013
Everyone citing the high temp and poor fan performance is grasping at straws. Nobody is going to overclock a $550 Card on the reference cooler and expect to get anything better that 10% performance increase.

The fact is even in the $500-$700 single card range the vast majority of people who use this card will stick it in the comp and forget about it.

If these benchmarks are accurate it appears that nVidia has managed to produce a card that matches/beats the R9 at lower resolutions. It's likely the R9 will win at anything higher than 1440p and with CF and 4k the 780ti doesn't really stand a chance.

So basically for and extra $150 you get a card that is better for people with low resolution monitors who also like to overclock using the reference cooler and don't like SLI/CF

That's a pretty small subset of people. This is not really much of a challenge to the R9. This reminds me a lot of when the 9700 Pro came out and was basically similar to the Geforce 4 Ti 4800 when there wasn't many shaders involved, but as soon as games started using higher res, more shaders the Geforce 4 Ti lost. What happened after? nVidia released prob the worst cards ever to wear the Geforce name (the Geforce FX series)

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010

Your result has the following problem:

• Benchmark tessellation load modified by AMD Catalyst driver, result invalid. Check your video driver settings.
I just received word that Nvida will release a driver with this which disables rendering in 3DMark, along with a custom API to allow reduced draw calls the only thing rendered will be a blank screen with obscene fps.

Threadcrapping will not be permitted, next time avoid taking the bait.

-Rvenger

Last edited by a moderator:

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
I seriously hope there are 6GB versions at launch or else I'll be waiting.

Yeah, I want a 6GB card as well. This morning I decided to buy another 680 2GB to sli as a bandaid until I see a 780ti 6GB version. I dont want to deal with this vram crap for a long time.

Teizo

Golden Member
Oct 28, 2010
Everyone citing the high temp and poor fan performance is grasping at straws.

Not really. They are impossible to ignore. Aftermarket versions may prove to be better, but the high temps and loud noise of the reference 290X make it a tough sale and have overall damaged the reputation of the 290X on the same level of the GTX 480 by Nvidia.

I may be in the minority, but I know I am not alone, in that I am willing to pay more for a card that may even perform worse by comparison if it runs cooler and near silent.

PC's are not consoles and until they somehow come up with bluetooth/wireless display rendering capabilities to your monitor that allow you to have your desktop more than the usual 3-6 feet away from you, PC gamers are going to be right on top of their computers which means noise (due to heat) is definitely a deciding factor in purchasing for many.

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004
I just received word that Nvida will release a driver with this which disables rendering in 3DMark, along with a custom API to allow reduced draw calls the only thing rendered will be a blank screen with obscene fps.

I heard it's supposed to increase MS Paint performance threefold. :biggrin:

So if the overclocking headroom is true, will we see 1500Mhz Tis on air? That would be epic.

ams23

Feb 18, 2013
@ Wand3r3r: Read the paragraph that you quoted, it says that GTX 780 Ti will perform at least 20% better (on average?) compared to R9 290X in [Not-So]Quiet mode. That is a bigger perf. delta than stock GTX 780 vs. R9 290X! As for drivers, performance enhancements are made all the time for both major IHV's, but the GTX 780 Ti in general should have far more headroom and OC ability on air as previously discussed.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
I heard it's supposed to increase MS Paint performance threefold. :biggrin:

So if the overclocking headroom is true, will we see 1500Mhz Tis on air? That would be epic.

1500MHz seems unlikely unless they managed to greatly reduce power consumption.

I don't except anything more than a top slot from the GTX 780 Ti for bragging rights, I doubt it will bring anything new to the table outside minor stock and max oc performance.

Could be wrong of course, but right now the 780 looks like the card to get for high end less the 6GB users and 290 non x should be AMDs equivalent.

This is just posturing to me.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
Benches don't measure it well so even when the VRAM pool is too small they won't show much. I ran out of VRAM a lot in Skyrim at 1920x1200 on a GTX 780 and had to remove some texture mods to get back to good performance. In terms of average FPS it made hardly any difference, but when I ran out of VRAM I got frequent "stutters," i.e. isolated frame times that were 10x my average frame times.

Never had that problem with only 1.5gigs on GTX 580 with all textures mods. Sounds like something else not configured right.

Video ram is not a huge deal for single card users at all, i've yet to play a game, including BF4, skyrim with texture mods, that will tax a card with lower video memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.