WCCF: AMD’s Flagship ‘Fiji XT GPU’ Debuts Radeon’s Titan Equivalent Branding

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
If a $1K card now will get murdered by a $500 Pascal card, what will the $1K Pascal card be like? Dig it up again and murder it for the second time? :sneaky:

Forward estimating anything is fine for discussing but until retail samples are out it could be great or it could be rubbish. And don't forget drivers. Look at Kepler at Maxwell launch to now. Pascal launch, add 8 months or so and it will likely exceed the previous arch even more.

The only hard and fast rule is if you can afford it buy the best or second best card every year/launch and then get the next within 15 months or less. So a 780 Ti now for me bought last Feb 2014 would be due for replacement now in May 2015 which would be the 980 Ti (second best Titan X) which may be coming out in June.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
If a $1K card now will get murdered by a $500 Pascal card, what will the $1K Pascal card be like? Dig it up again and murder it for the second time? :sneaky:

Forward estimating anything is fine for discussing but until retail samples are out it could be great or it could be rubbish. And don't forget drivers. Look at Kepler at Maxwell launch to now. Pascal launch, add 8 months or so and it will likely exceed the previous arch even more.

The only hard and fast rule is if you can afford it buy the best or second best card every year/launch and then get the next within 15 months or less. So a 780 Ti now for me bought last Feb 2014 would be due for replacement now in May 2015 which would be the 980 Ti (second best Titan X) which may be coming out in June.

When Pascal is first released we are likely to again get the next gen mid range first.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
When Pascal is first released we are likely to again get the next gen mid range first.

Ya, but still.

680 mid-range > 480/580
980 mid-range > 780/780Ti
Pascal 680/980 successor > Titan X, unless NV decides to split a generation into 3 and make $550 mid-range card a GTX960 successor. :D

Qwertilot

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2013
Careful! You'll give them ideas ;)
(Hopefully AMD will show up fairly quickly/effectively enough to keep some real competition.).

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Ya, but still.

680 mid-range > 480/580
980 mid-range > 780/780Ti
Pascal 680/980 successor > Titan X, unless NV decides to split a generation into 3 and make $550 mid-range card a GTX960 successor. :D

'Course there is no guarantee that the $/transistor is going to get any better. I still think they are going to do a DP-focused card first and then mobile, but if the $/transistor isn't any better that's obviously going to make performance improvements tough.

If anything you should assume that prices will continue to go up.

Dec 30, 2004
AMD Radeon Zeus

They really need to kill the fallacy that Nvidia is a premium brand. As long as the Fiji non-XT (5850, 7950, 290 equivalent) remains cheaper it will be fine. They need to demonstrate that their top product is very premium.

Zeus-- that's a good idea.

and yeah. AMD is dumb. They need to have the fastest card, even if it comes stock with water cooling every time.

Dec 30, 2004
No. The logic die is the memory controller for HBM. The GPU die no longer houses the memory controller. Hybrid memory is just a silly idea. Why would anyone use HBM just to throw away all of the benefits of using HBM?

that's what the HB stands for. HyBrid

Dec 30, 2004
No they don't have to.
Alright, so let's assume for a second that this rumor is right.
What does it mean?
It means that amd is being led by incompetent managers. What do you do? You bet it all on pure marketing and a luxury high end product win. You should improve on parity with gtx980 class products and bellow. 99% of the market does not care about Titan. AMD product X vs Nvidia GTX Titan will not do AMD any good even if it will end up wiping the floor with nvidia's Titan. Gpu customers are not that appleish. The market screams for competitiveness below gtx980 and you(AMD) are more concerned with which one has bigger balls. This strategy seems too stupid and I find it hard to believe that they went this road.

99% of the market looks at Titan winning everything, sees it's "NVidia" and goes and buys NVidia.

Dec 30, 2004
So...

Zeus (or whatever) = Figi

390X = Respun/updated Hawaii, or a cut down Fiji?

we always called them/their fraternity [Redacted]

Thread crapping is not permitted here. You should know the rules by now.

-Rvenger

Last edited by a moderator:

Owls

Feb 22, 2006
So $799-849 for single chip flagship with 4GB of VRAM or will this be a $1500 295X2 successor with dual Fijis?

Either way, for me this looks like an easy generation to skip - overpriced cards and very poorly optimized PC console ports (GTA V, TW3). No next gen PC graphics to be found anywhere but demands on GPUs skyrocketed. Meh, sign me up for 14nm gen. GTX970/R9 290 level $399-449 priced successor should tie or beat the Titan X/Fiji XT, while using 40-50% less power.

Hopefully 2nd tier Fiji and GM200 deliver 20-25% more performance than a 980 for $549-599.

I can't speak for TW3 but GTA V is not a poorly optimized port by ANY stretch of the imagination. Stop spreading fud

Azix

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2014
Seems all the more recent AMD threads are locked. New info suggests three fiji chips

As always, please allocate a few seconds to noticing the very pretty looking rumor tag above. AMD is planing on unveiling its next generation GPU lineup on the 16th of June. While we already have a pretty good idea of the tech itself, the nitty gritty of the details remain hazy. Hwbattle.com, a tech publication that has been spot on so far, claims that AMD will be launching with not two but 3 flavors of Fury: the Fury PRO, the Fury XT and the Fury Nano.

Read more: http://wccftech.com/amd-fury-series-lineup-flavors-fury-nano-xt-pro/#ixzz3cOdnDJ6k

two was a given and three makes sense. Now its the pricing thats gotten more interesting. If there is a nano and its 980ti level in pricing, rest will be cheaper.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
I hope this GPU release coincides with a massive driver update. According to our previous rumors, they were working on drivers for Fiji. I hope they also worked on driver updates across the board. Specifically actually just features like VSR. This needs to work on ALL modern GPUs. It just did the workaround for the Hawaii gpus and am playing Bioshock 2 and it's night and day for me using VSR. Everything is FAR more crisp with VSR and this just adds so much more value to my purchase.

Rather than having to do a workaround though, they need features like this working out of the box. I'll probably buy Fiji because I have the income and why not, but AMD would get a lot more purchases if they had better software support. I personally am not too bothered as I usually find a way to get what I want and that's part of the fun for me as a PC user, but other peopel who aren't tech savvy will simply purchase Nvidia. Hardware wise, I always get a GREAT deal with AMD. But I know there will be a time in the future where if AMD's software isn't vastly improved, I'll be buying SLI of whatever Nvidia has.

The largest advantage Nvidia has is that people with more disposable income don't care about the ethics of AMD vs Nvidia in things like gameworks. They just want a premium performing product that works with everything and that's the GTX 980Ti. If AMD wants to do a premium brand to fight the Titan X/Nvidia Premium, the software side has to be equally up to snuff so I'm curious to see whether those rumors of them improving their drivers hold up in their press release on the 16th.

ocre

Golden Member
Dec 26, 2008
That is not something they can change overnight. Even if they did, the new image will take several generations to build up.

flopper

Dec 16, 2005
Seems all the more recent AMD threads are locked. New info suggests three fiji chips

two was a given and three makes sense. Now its the pricing thats gotten more interesting. If there is a nano and its 980ti level in pricing, rest will be cheaper.

Fiji pro if priced between 980/980ti
hot cake!

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
I hope this GPU release coincides with a massive driver update. According to our previous rumors, they were working on drivers for Fiji. I hope they also worked on driver updates across the board. Specifically actually just features like VSR. This needs to work on ALL modern GPUs. It just did the workaround for the Hawaii gpus and am playing Bioshock 2 and it's night and day for me using VSR. Everything is FAR more crisp with VSR and this just adds so much more value to my purchase.

Rather than having to do a workaround though, they need features like this working out of the box. I'll probably buy Fiji because I have the income and why not, but AMD would get a lot more purchases if they had better software support. I personally am not too bothered as I usually find a way to get what I want and that's part of the fun for me as a PC user, but other peopel who aren't tech savvy will simply purchase Nvidia. Hardware wise, I always get a GREAT deal with AMD. But I know there will be a time in the future where if AMD's software isn't vastly improved, I'll be buying SLI of whatever Nvidia has.

The largest advantage Nvidia has is that people with more disposable income don't care about the ethics of AMD vs Nvidia in things like gameworks. They just want a premium performing product that works with everything and that's the GTX 980Ti. If AMD wants to do a premium brand to fight the Titan X/Nvidia Premium, the software side has to be equally up to snuff so I'm curious to see whether those rumors of them improving their drivers hold up in their press release on the 16th.

That group in the developed world appears to be shrinking quite rapidly.

A tongue in cheek article backfires.

Its important to read the comments, these are WSJ readers.
http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2015/06/02/grand-central-a-letter-to-stingy-american-consumers/

Last edited:

Cloudfire777

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2013
Fiji Nano sounds more like a heavy cut down chip to me. All Fiji chip should have HBM so I`d imagine all of them to be small.

$899 for Fury X though. Ouch

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Fiji Nano sounds more like a heavy cut down chip to me. All Fiji chip should have HBM so I`d imagine all of them to be small.

Figi nano implies smaller than the WCE to me at least. Thinking possibly Mac Pro size? Jump back into competitive laptop gpu? Could even be a SOC adventure....Of course it also could be clickbait.

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011

We've had plenty of 2nd level cut down chips before and they usually get the designation of LE.

Usage of name nano makes me think of a much smaller chip, something you find in a laptop.