WCCF: AMD’s Flagship ‘Fiji XT GPU’ Debuts Radeon’s Titan Equivalent Branding

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Cloudfire777

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2013
HWBattle wrote about these 3 types of Fiji cards a long time ago. I`ve read it before but didnt post the picture because it confused the hell out of me.

Although they seem reliable in the past, I`m not sure I believe them on this.
Kitguru and the rest said Fury X (Fiji XT) and Fury (Fiji Pro) would only come. Thats what I think will happen

c2c87acdfc1945c62991496a92aa9f2f_1431075960_436.jpg

Last edited:

Final8ty

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2007
I hope this GPU release coincides with a massive driver update. According to our previous rumors, they were working on drivers for Fiji. I hope they also worked on driver updates across the board. Specifically actually just features like VSR. This needs to work on ALL modern GPUs. It just did the workaround for the Hawaii gpus and am playing Bioshock 2 and it's night and day for me using VSR. Everything is FAR more crisp with VSR and this just adds so much more value to my purchase.

Rather than having to do a workaround though, they need features like this working out of the box. I'll probably buy Fiji because I have the income and why not, but AMD would get a lot more purchases if they had better software support. I personally am not too bothered as I usually find a way to get what I want and that's part of the fun for me as a PC user, but other peopel who aren't tech savvy will simply purchase Nvidia.
Hardware wise, I always get a GREAT deal with AMD. But I know there will be a time in the future where if AMD's software isn't vastly improved, I'll be buying SLI of whatever Nvidia has.

The largest advantage Nvidia has is that people with more disposable income don't care about the ethics of AMD vs Nvidia in things like gameworks. They just want a premium performing product that works with everything and that's the GTX 980Ti. If AMD wants to do a premium brand to fight the Titan X/Nvidia Premium, the software side has to be equally up to snuff so I'm curious to see whether those rumors of them improving their drivers hold up in their press release on the 16th.

Other people who aren't tech savvy would not have a clue what VSR is so working out of the boxs for older cards would make no difference in that regard.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
Other people who aren't tech savvy would not have a clue what VSR is so working out of the boxs for older cards would make no difference in that regard.

The point is that I find AMD to be a great value purchase for the raw performance I get to money spent. But as my income increases, I will end up purchasing Nvidia's product as I have less time to do work arounds or whatever to get key features I want working.

I am sure I am not the only person who feels that way and that's a problem for AMD. You want your brand to get less sales with people of higher income vs your competitor.

I'm saying that if AMD wants to create a premium line, it needs to remove the stigma that the driver support is nonexistant so I'm curious to see if they've improved drivers/software as the early rumors we had said that fiji was ready and they were working on drivers.

Final8ty

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2007
The point is that I find AMD to be a great value purchase for the raw performance I get to money spent. But as my income increases, I will end up purchasing Nvidia's product as I have less time to do work arounds or whatever to get key features I want working.

I am sure I am not the only person who feels that way and that's a problem for AMD. You want your brand to get less sales with people of higher income vs your competitor.

I'm saying that if AMD wants to create a premium line, it needs to remove the stigma that the driver support is nonexistant so I'm curious to see if they've improved drivers/software as the early rumors we had said that fiji was ready and they were working on drivers.

I agree but my point still stands, people who aren't tech savvy dont choose NV for the reasons you choose NV and they have no clue about most of the features and any stigma they have is not about lack of features but the quailty of the drivers which has not been an issue for a long time, and its just marketing and perpetuation.

Last edited:

Udgnim

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2008

there are some things that can be argued / perceived that AMD is superior to Nvidia

going off of posts I've seen from RS, VSR has better visual quality than DSR

going off of [H] observations and FCAT data, AMD crossfire displays more smoothly than Nvidia SLI

there are some things I don't see AMD being able to greatly improve on such as initial performance on GameWorks games & crossfire profiles on GameWorks games

my understanding is that DX12 should help minimize the need for AMD & Nvidia to continue focusing on driver hacks for game optimizations, but have to wait for 2016 before we start seeing big name DX12 releases and how that actually plays out

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
Gameworks is a huge issue amd needs to work on. They need to address it asap. It may not be ethical, but it clearly is working .Either AMD needs to campaign against it or something because this passive aggressive complaining isn't winning them customers.

VSR, I like the quality but they need to update the CCC to let VSR work with far more GPUs. It's clearly possible as I'm using it now, so they're limiting the people who can use it

Crossfire is great, when it works. They need to get crossfire support in more games, and get it into the games quicker. That's the issue there.

I hope DX12 fixes things but AMD may need to consider sinking in a massive upfront cost now to compound their great architecture. The architecture clearly is nice, it's just the drivers/software need to be worked on in terms of getting access to games, etc.

I just worry that if they try to get up against the Titan X, and get their pricing up it will backfire badly because people spending $900+ won't buy a Fury X if they believe Nvidia will have better game support anyway.

JDG1980

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2013
Hard to believe that they wouldn't even change the port layout. 2x DVI and only one DisplayPort is so 2013.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010

videocardz also said this:

Apparently the best place to look for leaks is the XFX website. The Radeon R9 390X, which is in fact slightly faster R9 290X equipped with 8GB memory, can be found on their website under .. R9 290X product page.

I can't find it on the page. Where is it?

JDG1980

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2013
So it seems pretty clear that whatever "Grenada" is, it's pin-compatible with Hawaii. That's not a surprise, since almost no one expected it to be a completely new chip. The question at this point is whether it's just a rebadge of the same old Hawaii chips with slightly better binning (sort of like Kaveri->Godavari in the APU arena), or if it's a respin with substantially improved power characteristics and perhaps updated fixed function hardware.

If it's simply a rebadge then this release should be strongly condemned by all review sites. This practice may be tolerated in the ultra low end and on OEM-targeted products, but to rebadge an entire series of cards (many of them for the second time) after an 18-month wait is nothing short of completely unacceptable.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
XFX is preparing the "update". Its quite clear what 390X is, even if its hard to believe for some.

Gikaseixas

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2004
XFX is preparing the "update". Its quite clear what 390X is, even if its hard to believe for some.

We don't know consumption figures, performance and price so far. It could consume 220w at peak, perform 30% better than 290x and cost $349.99... that would make it a better card than GTX 980

Interesting times ahead

Last edited:

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yes. From that pic it's apparent that the 390X is the 8GB successor to the 4GB 290X. Other than that, not much else can be said.

Gikaseixas

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2004
Some are so eager to play the rebrand card, so dedicated to troll, it's amazing :whiste:

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
No. The logic die is the memory controller for HBM. The GPU die no longer houses the memory controller. Hybrid memory is just a silly idea. Why would anyone use HBM just to throw away all of the benefits of using HBM?

Incorrect. There is a logic die at the bottom of the stack, but it does not house what most people would call the controller.

Cloudfire777

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2013
We don't consumption figures, performance and price so far. It could consume 220w at peak, perform 30% better than 290x and cost $349.99... that would make it a better card than GTX 980

Interesting times ahead

We know this about 390X:

Benchmarks:
Firestrike Extreme 2779
Can`t remember the name of the benchmark :p
Both putting it slightly below GTX 980 and slightly above 290X.

Power:
8+8 which happens to be the same as OC 290X models (and Fury X).

Price:
$449

If I should be bold and guess, I would think the Fiji cards are the real deal with power reduction and performance, while 390X and below are just rebrands with higher clocks.

Infraction issued for posting rumors as facts and a week off. I have told you countless times to stop posting rumors and passing them off as facts. You don't listen.

-Rvenger

Last edited by a moderator:

jamesgalb

Sep 26, 2014
We know those rumors are true? How?

I still expect the 390x to include an updated GCN and 'full feature' gpu with more processors and compute units... (along with efficiency/leakage improvements)

Unless you think the GTX 970 to GTX 980 type performance difference between the XT and PRO in your slides/rumors is solely attributed to a 50mhz clock difference.

At the end of the day, I expect a GTX 980 performer with a higher power draw but more ram, at a lower price... It will win once 290x discount stock runs out and people stop comparing it to inventory blowout prices in some sort of smear campaign, and instead compare it to the NVidia products they are saying beat it...

Last edited:

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
In the picture there's 'Lifetime warranty only at best buy'. Is this the norm for XFX?