WCCF: AMD’s Flagship ‘Fiji XT GPU’ Debuts Radeon’s Titan Equivalent Branding

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 30, 2004
Those pictures look to me like XFX has just swapped the shroud on the cooler and painted the backplate matte black. Everything else about the card looks identical to the 290X. I suppose they could reuse the PCB design even with a different chip. But it does look a lot like they are going to ship 290s as 390s. It just doesn't make much sense to me why AMD would do this. They haven't been selling their current cards and I can't see how a name change is going to change that.

yeah, that's what I said

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
if you don't update drivers, this won't happen, no?

I don't think they've "unoptimized" older games, just aren't optimizing for the newer ones. Unless someone's seen benchmarks where performance is tanking in older games relative to what it used to be.

Kippa

Dec 12, 2011
Dark Knight Dude Nvidia cards are known to have worse OpenCl performance compared to AMD cards.

Nov 2, 2013
Dark Knight Dude Nvidia cards are known to have worse OpenCl performance compared to AMD cards.
The interesting comparison from that table is between the 290x and that mystery card. But why is the 280x so high on the list?

Edit: Sorted by top score rather than median seems to give a more predictable ranking

Last edited:

Osjur

Sep 21, 2013
The interesting comparison from that table is between the 290x and that mystery card. But why is the 280x so high on the list?

Edit: Sorted by top score rather than median seems to give a more predictable ranking

I guess one reason is that they didn't cripple Tahiti (280x) DP performance as much as they did with Hawaii.

csbin

Feb 4, 2013
msi AMD Radeon Fury :p

http://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-fury...si-pictured-roadmap-radeon-300-series-leaked/

AMD-Radeon-Fury-635x357.jpg

AMD-Radeon-Fury-1-635x357.jpg

tg2708

May 23, 2013
Ill just throw my money at the pro variant and call it a year or two. It's either this or a 980ti but truth be told I'd rather go amd this time as they seem to have completely overhauled their gpu at the top end. Let's hope my cpu is not a bottleneck since it does not like to be over clock so I keep it at stock.

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
AMD's ace in the hole is DX12, Vulcan, Metal and Mantle, which is probably why they are waiting to release close to Win10. - Apple sure seems to be using more and more AMD hardware lately. - Perhaps AMD said, 'OK eNV, you want to play that game? Here's Mantle 2.0'. Of course this wouldn't sabotage the competition (or their own hardware), but it could sure give some nice surprises to Radeon owners.

Highly doubt this.

All pre-release performance on DX12 shows solid improvements for both. AMD doesn't have an inherent dx12 advantage. Both companies have been targeting and optimizing for literally years...

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
Ill just throw my money at the pro variant and call it a year or two. It's either this or a 980ti but truth be told I'd rather go amd this time as they seem to have completely overhauled their gpu at the top end. Let's hope my cpu is not a bottleneck since it does not like to be over clock so I keep it at stock.

It looks fantastic....just need some real benches to help me decide!!!

Kippa

Dec 12, 2011
The old Nvidia cards use to perform badly on OpenCl apps, mind you some of the latest Maxwell based cards seem to perform substantially better than the older cards. I don't know if this is due to a better architecture, or just that they've decided to focus on the OpenCl drivers for Nvidia cards. The Titan X performs well in some benchmarks on the Aandtech benchmarks compared to the original vanilla Titan.

tg2708

May 23, 2013
Is this a card like the titan x where AIB manufacturers are not allowed to modify it in anyway except boost clocks etc? Design is too clean to be altered and I love it for that.

RadiclDreamer

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
AMD Radeon Zeus

They really need to kill the fallacy that Nvidia is a premium brand. As long as the Fiji non-XT (5850, 7950, 290 equivalent) remains cheaper it will be fine. They need to demonstrate that their top product is very premium.

Speak for yourself, it is my opinion it IS a premium brand.

Now, that being said, I don't dislike or wish any ill will towards AMD, I really hope they continue to do well since it drives competition. They also make VERY capable hardware, I just have always had issues with software quality. This is my own personal experience and your mileage may vary, but for me, Nvidia is a premium brand. It may not always be the cheapest or fastest, but in my personal opinion, its fast enough, has more features and vastly superior software.

Sorry to derail the thread :)

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
Good find . I guess is probably the first OFFICIAL Fiji benchmarks.

[snip - edited] Max clock 1000mhz seems low.

Also, can someone show me anywhere that says this is 'official'?

Edit - The 64 compute units vs. 44 on 290x does seem to add-up...

Last edited:

crisium

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2001
Which one is ROPs?

max_compute_units? But the 290X has 44 for a value there...

64 to 44 is the same ratio as 4096 to 2816. Seems to match shaders!

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
Which one is ROPs?

max_compute_units? But the 290X has 44 for a value there...

64 to 44 is the same ratio as 4096 to 2816. Seems to match shaders!

That's what I was looking at...

You are right, the 290x has 44 compute units (I was thinking ROPs) hence 64 on Fiji could be accurate...