Ways to make my x800xtpe card not so loud!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ronnn

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Well I finally got my card. Is a bit loud for my taste at idle, while gaming I don't notice it over the sound. Doesn't seem to speed up at all. Is not near as annoying as the stock 9700pro fan was. So I will live with it right now, but will get either the zalman or artic cooler a little down the road (when I am ready to void my warranty). In terms of performance, what an improvement! Even crisper in 2d. Was a tight fit, didn't realize that the x800xt pe was at least an inch longer than the 9700pro.

ronnn

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Well I used Ati tool to slow down fan speed at low temps and voila - quiet. But now I screwed up my settings and am off to Ati tool forums to figure out how to get back to default.

Edit: Got the fan speed thing figured out so have it at 45% for under 45 C and now is quite quiet.

mindgam3

May 30, 2005
I used atitool to overclock my card to 560/580 I got 6350 in 3dmark 05 using cat 5.7 drivers.. is this a decent overclock? My temps were very high though 75 at full load!

ronnn

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
I generally don't overclock as usually I don't notice any difference in gaming performance and can really stress the card.

Parkre

Jul 31, 2005
You know ATI tray tools contains the fan speed at certain GPU loads, right?

and Dworley, where did you get your fantastic looking waterblock (it's cooling the memory too, right?) If so, I really need one of those.

ronnn

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
No 2 different programs, Ati try tools is written by Ray Adams. I tried tray tools, but could not figure out how to get the fan speed to auto setup at startup ... so reinstalled ati tools. I am not interested in overclocking - just reducing 2d fan speed. I would possibly underclock, but not sure how risky that is.

selfbuilt

Feb 6, 2003
I've also found the x800xtpe a little too loud for my taste (came from a 9800pro+arctic silencer :), and ATI Tool does a great job of reducing the fan speed with no change to idle temps. Lowered default speed from 67% to 50% for anything under 45C, and I can't hear it now over my case fans. Idle temps are the same as before, 37C. Not bothering to overclock right now - card runs great as it is.