Ways to make my x800xtpe card not so loud!!

mindgam3

May 30, 2005
Hey, is there any aftermarket cooling fan i can swap on my x800xtpe card to make it not sound like a jet engine while im playing games? I went from a passivly cooled 9600SE card so this is a bit hard to handle! On a lighter note i scored over 6000 on 3dmark 05 :)

ajaidev

Aug 30, 2005
Artic Cooling ATi silencer is the best i had one to cool my 5700Le card 2 years ago... Go with that Br..

McArra

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
Originally posted by: mindgam3
Thanks will there be a noticable difference?

The silencer is very silent and easy to install. It will exhaust heat out of the case also whichi is very good. I'm using the Nvidia version for my GT and it's great.

Parkre

Jul 31, 2005
So which is better the Arctic or the Zalman?

Water!! wheeeee!!!!

If not water, I've heard the zalman's better. I have the nonPE and want a cooler HSF for mine too, but I think I will wait and watercool.

McArra

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
Silencer since it takes hot air out of the case and in the long run makes the case and the card work cooler.

Munky

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2005
So which is better the Arctic or the Zalman?

I have the zalman, and while it does not blow the air out of the case, you have case fans, dont you? The arctic silencer might be better for just keeping the card cool and quiet, but if you plan to overclock the card then the zalman is better for raw gpu cooling capacity and dissipating the maximum amount of heat. Plus the zalman fits more cards. I used it on a 9800p, and now I'm using the same cooler on a x800, and it fits both perfectly. I also overclocked both cards to the max stable speed at stock voltage, and even when OC'd the zalman temps were way lower than the stock coolers at stock speeds.

ronnn

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Sh*t my x800xtpe is arriving likely tommorrow (fed ex screwed up), I hope it isn't too loud at idle or will have to leave my old card in place until I pick up a silencer.

ronnn

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Very bad news, thanks for the info I will start looking for aftermarket cooling.

KevinH

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2000
I have a antec sonata case and its pretty loud at idle even for me .

Aye. Sound is relative. I have an artic "not so silent" silencer on an X800Pro on an Antec Sonata as well and the noise drove me crazy. My buddy has the 6800 line...it doesn't bother him and to me I'd probably shoot the cat if I had to live with that. All relative.

Back to the silencer, look up reviews on the silentpc site. There's a lot of people complaining about a slight clicking sound. I hear the second revision of the silencer fixed this problem. I wouldn't know as I use my gaming lappy almost exclusively now :).

mindgam3

May 30, 2005
I just dont understand why these video card fans must make more noise then a cpu fan ! During a game the fan spins up then down up then down up then down zzzZZzzzZZZzzzZZzzZZ etc you get the point.. its annoying

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
It sound like you have insufficient case cooling. The reason the fan is spinning up/down is to keep the core cool. I would suggest you improve your case cooling, then your card would stay at its lower speed.

I have an X800 XT PE as well, and the only time I ever hear it running faster than its low speed is upon bootup. For all of 2 seconds.

Now, if even the low speed is too noisy for you, then an Arctic Cooler Silencer would probably do the trick. You could also pad the inside of your case with noise dampening foam.

BW86

Lifer
Jul 20, 2004
I have a x800xtpe and its not louder than my stock cpu fan :p I might get an ATI Silencer to exhaust the air out of my case, it's just too expensive. I remember I got a VGA Silencer for my 9800pro for only 15 dollars..

mindgam3

May 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Creig
It sound like you have insufficient case cooling. The reason the fan is spinning up/down is to keep the core cool. I would suggest you improve your case cooling, then your card would stay at its lower speed.

I have an X800 XT PE as well, and the only time I ever hear it running faster than its low speed is upon bootup. For all of 2 seconds.

Now, if even the low speed is too noisy for you, then an Arctic Cooler Silencer would probably do the trick. You could also pad the inside of your case with noise dampening foam.

Hmm i have a case fan mabye its not enough but im starting to think there is something wrong with my card it is a refurb afterall..

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Hmm i have a case fan mabye its not enough but im starting to think there is something wrong with my card it is a refurb afterall..

Mine is an ATI refurb as well. The reason the fan is spinning up during games is that the air around it is heating up. The circulation in your case can't remove the heat as fast as your components produce it while playing games. Warm air cools less efficiently than cool air, so the video card fan needs to spin faster to rid the GPU of excess heat.

If you improved your case's cooling, the air would stay cooler and the video card fan would most likely stay on low speed.

ronnn

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: Creig

Mine is an ATI refurb as well. The reason the fan is spinning up during games is that the air around it is heating up. The circulation in your case can't remove the heat as fast as your components produce it while playing games. Warm air cools less efficiently than cool air, so the video card fan needs to spin faster to rid the GPU of excess heat.

If you improved your case's cooling, the air would stay cooler and the video card fan would most likely stay on low speed.

Maybe all the more reason to get the silencer, at least another exhaust fan.
I put a fan speed control set up with my sonota and boost the rear exhaust a small amount before gaming. The little added noise seems to really move that air out of there.

BlingBlingArsch

Golden Member
May 10, 2005
the arctic is cheaper but the design is imo not convincing becuz u cannot clean it vg from dust. id suggest the Zalman. I have both on different of my video cards (gf4, 98pro, x800xl) and the zalman is worth the money more. plus the arctics started to clatter after a few months.

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: BlingBlingArsch
the arctic is cheaper but the design is imo not convincing becuz u cannot clean it vg from dust. id suggest the Zalman. I have both on different of my video cards (gf4, 98pro, x800xl) and the zalman is worth the money more. plus the arctics started to clatter after a few months.

The benefit of the Arctic Cooler is that it actually takes the hot GPU air and pushes it directly out the back of your case. The Zalman keeps all that hot air in the case and simply recirculates it, thus raising case temps.

I've had an AC Silencer on my 9500NP for quite awhile now and it's still as quiet as the day I installed it. I haven't heard about any of them starting to "clatter".