WATERCOOL Hardware Rep available! Come in and chat with me!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mnpctech

Oct 16, 2015
Hm. Honest question: I have some pics of our new Titan X Pascal water block. But it seems, you people aren't to fond of pictures. YOu want me to post them or not?

I like them, and don't recall anyone in this thread stating they aren't fond of pictures.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Please keep posting product updates in this thread. Even those of us who are not (or are not yet) in the market for wc equipment can still benefit from these updates. And of course you have your lurkers.

As the PC market continues to narrow down, we're probably going to see more of a shift towards premium products/HEDT and the accoutrements that come along with that shift. So wc will be more important than ever.

Pardon me if this has already been asked, but are you planning any products for AM4? Or, dare I ask, something to support Snowy Owl (SP4 BGA)?

Apr 15, 2016
watercool.de
Well, here you are then :)

And please remember to participate in our radiator survey so we can make products that you guys actually want :)

HEATKILLER® IV for TITAN X (Pascal)

HK_IV_TITAN_XP_ACRYL_Ni_01.jpg

HK_IV_TITAN_XP_ACRYL_Ni_02.jpg

HK_IV_TITAN_XP_ACRYL_Ni_03.jpg

HK_IV_TITAN_XP_ACRYL_Ni_04.jpg

HK_IV_TITAN_XP_ACRYL_Ni_05.jpg

HK_IV_TITAN_XP_ACRYL_Ni_06.jpg

HK_IV_TITAN_XP_ACRYL_Ni_07.jpg

Apr 15, 2016
watercool.de
Hey folks,
long time no see :D We have been very busy in the last weeks: we got the contract for a very large industrial project from the automobile market. We had tough competition, but finally came through with our design. So, as industry orders go, they usually work on a very tight schedule, so all our product designers were very occupied with this project. It was an interesting project, because we had to come up with an solution where you could remove some of the waterblocks from a running loop without tools and without shutting the loop down. Mayb, some of those basic design ideas will get implemented into the consumer market some time...

any updated ETA on the FTW block? thanks man :thumb:

Because of this, the ETA for the EVGA FTW blocks got pushed in the future: we are currently planning with a release in early December.

Then, I wanted to share a great casemod project with you that we did a customized GTX 1070 waterblock frontcover for. Please check out copperhead m3 by Jbfem (german buildlog). We are always very welcoming of individual ideas concerning platings, laser engraved logos and stuff like that. Sadly, we cannot offer the complete development of an individual waterblock, of course, this just consumes to much time.

Quick Question, Anyone have a picture of the Heatkiller res 150 or 200 in an actual build? I'm trying to get an idea on how it would look, I can only find stock photos.
Weirldy enough, the same goes for me! We sold a lot of the tubes, but recieved very little feedback in picture form for them. So, if you guys happen to own one, please feel free to share your pics, here in this thread or on our facebook page!

Apr 15, 2016
watercool.de
Hey guys,
As a big Thank You to our international community, we have a discount code for the holiday. Please use "BlackFridayWC" during checkout in our shop to receive 10% off (does not stack with the 10% preorder discount on the FTW blocks). The code is valid from 11/25/2016 00:01 Uhr until 11/27/2016 23:59 UTC+1.

Have fun shopping and happy Thanksgiving from WATERCOOL!

LL

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Hey! Thanks for continuing updates in this thread.

Are you making plans to release AM4 backplates for your Heatkiller IV CPU blocks?

Apr 15, 2016
watercool.de
Hey DrMrLordX,
First of all, let me confirm that we will absolutely support AM4 with our Heatkiller IV CPU waterblocks. However, we just received the outlines for the AM4 socket layout and haven't determined if a backplate is actually necessary or just a gimmick. So we haven't decided on this issue yet, but will announce it prior to the final release.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Thanks for your response! I've looked around and have found that your CPU block is one of the best if not the best Cu block on the market, at least according to some benches I saw over on OCN. Anyone looking to go water for AM4 has got to be looking at the Heatkiller IV.

Reactions: WATERCOOL-Jakob
Apr 15, 2016
watercool.de
Thanks for your response! I've looked around and have found that your CPU block is one of the best if not the best Cu block on the market, at least according to some benches I saw over on OCN. Anyone looking to go water for AM4 has got to be looking at the Heatkiller IV.
Thanks for the compliment!

I just wanted to let you guys know that I'm currently trying to get our facebook page running, and trying to add new content every couple of days. So feel free to stop by and leave us a like!

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Thanks for the compliment!

btw I don't like to leave unqualified statements hanging out there if I don't have to, so this is the stuff I saw that caused me to come to that conclusion:

http://www.xtremerigs.net/2015/04/22/watercool-heatkiller-iv-cpu-water-block-review/5/

http://www.overclock.net/t/1543524/...-the-hill-edited-with-first-review-info/0_100

Granted the latest of those two reviews was from Feb 2016, so if anyone has released a better block since then, I don't know about it. Interesting how the nickel block does a bit better than the copper one.

Apr 15, 2016
watercool.de
Hey folks,
late, but not forgotten: The WATERCOOL crew wishes all of you a merry Christmas! Hope you people found a lot of shiny PC parts under the tree ;)

Additionally, I wanted to point out an outstanding mod using our hardware that was just released. Thailand based professional modder "Modder CROW" did a great Gigabyte G1 themed mod in a white Inwin909 - find the pictures through our facebook site.

Apr 15, 2016
watercool.de
Hey guys,
a happy new year to all of you! I wanted to let you knwo that I finally kicked off our Twitter-Profile: please feel free to follow https://twitter.com/WatercoolEN , use the hashtags #Watercool and #Heatkiller , and send me pics from your rigs - I'd like to do a "satisfied customers" - kinda gallery. What do you think?

ANd while you're at it: at this twitter profile, I just uploaded the first render for a HeatkillerIV with AM4 mounting brackets! They will be available when the chips themselves are ;)

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I am tempted to go wc for Ryzen just to see what XFR can do. Tempted. And now you have your blocks ready for it . . .

HerrKaLeu

Nov 23, 2016
Keep in mind I never had water-cooling. But I'm a silent freak. One thing that kept me from using watercooling is that I add pump noise and potentially have louder fans (or the fans "blow" right out of the top of my case where I can hear them the most). So unless I OC hard, an air-cooled system may work better for me (see my system spec - I don't OC).

Here my idea: can you make an external passive cooler (like an aluminum heatsink with fins) that is attached to the right side of the case? That could dissipate heat without fans. You still will need to provide a silent pump, though. The case would then only need little airflow to keep the capacitors, RAM etc. etc. cold.
The problem with most water-cooling is, I still need to move a lot of air through the case. Even with silent fans, I have noise of air going through filters and other obstructions.
Obviously this passive cooler would need to work with the case and when I access the right side of the case it needs disconnectable hoses, or some hinge with flexible hoses. Unless you can cool enough with a top-mounted passive heatsink, which doesn't need that flexibility. If you have a black case with black heatsink on top it would not look that bad. You probably need to design the case with it. I realize that likely won't dissipate enough heat for OC, but should work for "normal" users. Maybe there are only 5 people in the world that would 1) deal with watercooling, 2) don't OC, and 3) prioritize on silent :)

I just looked at your website. Looks like you only produce the actual cooler and not a complete system?

Apr 15, 2016
watercool.de
I realize that likely won't dissipate enough heat for OC, but should work for "normal" users. Maybe there are only 5 people in the world that would 1) deal with watercooling, 2) don't OC, and 3) prioritize on silent :)

I just looked at your website. Looks like you only produce the actual cooler and not a complete system?
Well, actually, more than a third of our customers (myself included) from the european market also put their focus mainly on silence, not on water temp. So you are in good company :)
We actually have a product that can fulfill all your needs: the MO-RA3. I personaly cool an i5-6600K on 4,5GHz ith an R9 290 on 1150MHz and have them cooled by an external placed MO-RA. The rad is equipped with four 180mm Silverstone Air Penetrator AP 181 fans, controlled via an Aquacomputer aquaero 5LT. When the PC is not under heavy load (browsing, youtube, office, Adobe Suite prorams etc.), the fans don't spin at all. When the water temperature reaches 33°C, the start spinning at 200rpm, which is still unhearable, and then would slowly climb up to 100% at 40° - which never happenend up until now, seeing how the MO-RA can dissipate 2000Watts of heat with that fan configuration.
So yes, thtis would be an easy way to cool your PC absolutely silent in idle, but still have PLENTY of headroom for heavy load scenarios.

HerrKaLeu

Nov 23, 2016
So basically a huge radiator? and the fans attached? I would be afraid it looks a bit weird with he fans hanging on the side of the case on my desk. I was more thinking of a complete passive heat-sink. Basically looking like a large flat (maybe 2-3 cm thick inc. the fins) passive heat-sink but with water tunnels drilled in. Maybe one should integrate it in a case.

I also think about if the same could be done with heatpipes. but how do you make them flexible like waterhoses to actually install. Obvioulsy noise, reliability etc. would be even better.

But this thread made me think more about water cooling. one other concern I have is longevity. I read most (if not all ) of the tubing will lose some water, which is what the tank is for. I also read many of the AIO water cooling systems can't be filled, so once water evaporates you have air bubbles. And the pump is the part that likely dies within a few years. And of course the CoolIT review on bittech is scary, especially since many reviews confirm the issues. With the AIO sets this means throwing away the whole setup. I assume with self-made sets where you have a separate pump you have the option to just replace the pump. But is the water leakage and evaporation over time an issue that can be resolved? by water leakage I mean what seems to go through the hose over time (as in molecule diffusion). Obviously there also is the issue of an actual leak.
I'm the guy who would be willing to spend some $ if the cooling really is better and lasts a long time (so I can tell myself it is an investment :). But it looks like it will require some more maintenance than aircooling.

Apr 15, 2016
watercool.de
So basically a huge radiator? and the fans attached? I would be afraid it looks a bit weird with he fans hanging on the side of the case on my desk.
Well, depends of your ideas about aesthetics: Example one and Example two both found via google image search.
But this thread made me think more about water cooling. one other concern I have is longevity. I read most (if not all ) of the tubing will lose some water, which is what the tank is for. I also read many of the AIO water cooling systems can't be filled, so once water evaporates you have air bubbles. And the pump is the part that likely dies within a few years. And of course the CoolIT review on bittech is scary, especially since many reviews confirm the issues. With the AIO sets this means throwing away the whole setup. I assume with self-made sets where you have a separate pump you have the option to just replace the pump. But is the water leakage and evaporation over time an issue that can be resolved? by water leakage I mean what seems to go through the hose over time (as in molecule diffusion). Obviously there also is the issue of an actual leak.
I'm the guy who would be willing to spend some $ if the cooling really is better and lasts a long time (so I can tell myself it is an investment :). But it looks like it will require some more maintenance than aircooling.
Okay, there are a few things in here:
a) The review you posted is for an lowcost product from eight years ago. Yes, it obviously isn't good. It probably even wasn't good back then, compared to market-leading companys. If you are into AiO sets, check out the Alphacool Eisbaer. I actually built this into my sisters gaming machine, so yes, I trust it.
b) The usual pumps in custom waterloops (DDC, D5 or Eheim 1046 variants) usually last for at least 8 years - I can't give you a maximum, because some pumps thatin the systems of friends of mine bought in the beginning of the century still run. Keep in mind that these pumps were originally not designed for PCs: the Eheim 1046 is a aquarium pump. If this pump would fail, living beings die. So reliability is THE main selling point of these products. The Laing/Lowara D5 is a pump for multi-household heating systems, where there is a boiler in the basement and all the radiators in the flats have to be supplied. Again, reliability is key in these markets - you don't want your entire flat to be without heating in the winter, right? This was the main reason why clever PC enthusiasts seeked those products and contacted those manufacturers and finally got them to produce for the PC market as well. But be aware that PC watercooling is only a very small niche margin for these companys, their main business is made somewhere else.
Then again, no component of your rig posted in your signature is older than 3 years, and most of them are way more expensive. So if you don't have a problem to change components every couple of years, why bother about just another component?
c) In a well-built internal closed loop with high quality tubing, expect 5 - to 10ml of liquid to diffuse in a year. This is a quarter of a shot glass, really! So no, this is not an issue because before the amount of liquid lost through diffusion becomes critical, you pretty surely already opened the loop anyways to exchange components.
d) Watercooling is a luxury. There is absolutely NO scenario where anyone in the world would NEED to watercool there private home PC. So, yes, it is an investment in an unneccessary hobby - but isn't "not neccessary" the definition of "hobby"? If you are into it, be it for looks, be it for (theoretical) performance gains, be it for the fun of building a complex machinery with your own hands, be it for noise reduction, please, I am more than happy to help and advise you. And no, a well planned system does not require any maintenance for years. But maybe, you will also catch the modding bug that most of the watercooling bunch have, and start to tear your rig apart every so often to optimize a thing here and add a thing there and change and... Well, as I said - it is a hobby. And isn't it great to spend time with your hobby?

HerrKaLeu

Nov 23, 2016
Oh, sure, I realize that CoolIT review is not representative and this is not comparable to a quality cooler. I didn't mean to imply your products would be bad. But the thing is even with a very good system, something can happen. I'm an HVAC engineer and oversee building maintenance. We have very good pumps and other equipment. Most of the time no issue, but every once a while, even a good pump can leak, or fail. Or a fitting fails. Those are made to last decades of 24/7 operation and most do, but not all. Murphy's law always will prevail.

Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But the first thing I thought when I saw the 2 pictures was that there is a chance to tip sideways. I read the comment of that hardwareluxx user (the whitish radiator and fans) and he complained about that very same issue. He states if he tips it a bit the case will fall on the side. My concern also would be the place it takes on my desk. the problem with a fan radiator is you need an airgap between the case and the radiator, which pushes the radiator out even more. My idea of a totally passive heatsink (2-3cm) would be snug to the case and the center of gravity would be a bit less on the left. Using a radiator has the disadvantage you don't get much natural convection (at least not if mounted vertically) and it really is not designed for passive operation. In passive operation the radiator needs to be much larger to have a given UA compared to a typical passive heatsink.

I also see why those users on hardwareluxx use watercoooling. They don't have AC as they talk about 36°F (100.4°F!) in their room. We here can cheat and get by with aircoolers since we have AC :cool: Maybe I would change my mind if I didn't have AC.

Apr 15, 2016
watercool.de
Oh, sure, I realize that CoolIT review is not representative and this is not comparable to a quality cooler. I didn't mean to imply your products would be bad. But the thing is even with a very good system, something can happen. I'm an HVAC engineer and oversee building maintenance. We have very good pumps and other equipment. Most of the time no issue, but every once a while, even a good pump can leak, or fail. Or a fitting fails. Those are made to last decades of 24/7 operation and most do, but not all. Murphy's law always will prevail.
Absolutely. The same is true for every aircooled CPU cooler, though. That's exactly what I wanted to point out: a watercooling setup is just as dangerous for the hardware as an aircooling setup - not at all under normal conditions.

Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But the first thing I thought when I saw the 2 pictures was that there is a chance to tip sideways. I read the comment of that hardwareluxx user (the whitish radiator and fans) and he complained about that very same issue. He states if he tips it a bit the case will fall on the side. My concern also would be the place it takes on my desk. the problem with a fan radiator is you need an airgap between the case and the radiator, which pushes the radiator out even more. My idea of a totally passive heatsink (2-3cm) would be snug to the case and the center of gravity would be a bit less on the left. Using a radiator has the disadvantage you don't get much natural convection (at least not if mounted vertically) and it really is not designed for passive operation. In passive operation the radiator needs to be much larger to have a given UA compared to a typical passive heatsink.
As I said, it's mostly about personal aesthetics. I personally have my PC Case on the desk so it's out of reach of my two young children. The Radiator, however, is placed behind the table at the wall out of sight. So I don't have the tipping-over-scare. On the other hand, though, we sell this radiator since more than six years and haven't had a single customer complaint about a case tipping over without any outside force, so I wouldn't really worry about that.
Concerning your passive heatsink idea: there is one product on the market coming close to that, which is the Alphacool Cape Cora. This radiator comes with a number of other issues, though. Since it's a competitor's product, I don't wanna go into detail here, but please research thoroughly before using it, especially about galvanic corrossion and head pressure tolerances.
We know about this product and it's many complications. This is the reason why we do not plan to produce a comparable fully passive radiator. As I said, in our eyes, the MO-RA3 provides more than enough cooling performance to also satisfy the desire for a passive solution.

HerrKaLeu

Nov 23, 2016
thanks for all the information. I assume they use aluminum coolers, so the galvanic corrosion issue.
I agree with most, except:
a watercooling setup is just as dangerous for the hardware as an aircooling setup
If I have a bad aircooler, the worst that happens it doesn't cool well. This isn't even a huge problem since newer boards allow thermal throttling etc. and a fan could fail, but that is easy to replace. But for watercooling a failure could be a leak that destroys most hardware.

Obviously it is a hobby and everyone reading this (inc. myself) isn't 100% rational :grin:

Apr 15, 2016
watercool.de
Ladies and Gentlemen, it is my great pleasure to give to you: The EVGA GeForce GTX 1070/1080 FTW water block!

HEATKILLER_IV_VGA_GTX_1080_FTW_2.jpg

It comes with a preinstalled RGB LED strip that directly connects to the header on the graphics card and is fully compatible to the original EVGA backplate!