Water softener recommendation required

guraaf

Sep 13, 2019
We moved to Bay Area, California and our water from CalWater is horrible. Very hard and smells too. We are thinking of getting whole house water softener:

1. Kinetico
2. EcoWater
3. Puronics
4. Clearion
5. Culligan

Any idea about these brands? They range from $3500 to $7000 including an under-sink R/O system as well. Any other brands? We don't want to spend a lot of money but do want something that just works and doesn't require a lot of effort in maintenance.

Thanks for your ideas.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
Had a Culligan, constantly broke down, and used 2 bags of salt a month. Would NEVER recommend. All those prices seem ridiculous.

We replaced it with a Whirlpool for $350 from Lowes. Uses roughly 1 bag every 2.5 months. Been working perfectly for 10 years now, and we have very hard well water. Only maintenance is a screen that needs removal and cleaning yearly, takes about ten minutes. I think I've done it three times now, I forget to do it.

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005
My house has a Kinetico and I'm very happy with it. It's super efficient with salt use. Mine also has charcoal filters that really reduce chlorine smells. I highly recommend it since it works even if the electricity goes out.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Had a Culligan, constantly broke down, and used 2 bags of salt a month. Would NEVER recommend. All those prices seem ridiculous.

We replaced it with a Whirlpool for $350 from Lowes. Uses roughly 1 bag every 2.5 months. Been working perfectly for 10 years now, and we have very hard well water. Only maintenance is a screen that needs removal and cleaning yearly, takes about ten minutes. I think I've done it three times now, I forget to do it.
The RO filter is a bad idea in CA, they waste a lot of water.