Watchmen comes out on DVD tomorrow

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: zinfamous
is that one of the animated sequences that is already available in BD?
Correct.
One complaint I'd like to mention regarding modern sound-mixing: WTF are we always forced to turn the volume way the hell up for the duration of a film, or spend the entire time turning up for dialogue, and way the fuck down for the ridiculously loud and invasive explosions? I mean, the sound was great and all, but can't they mix the dialogue to a higher level so that our ears don't start bleeding from sudden and unexpected doors slamming or feet-through-walls and such? :(

I like the benefit of the HD sound tracks and everything, but I feel like a lot of these tracks these days are way too base-heavy, and just TFL for a decent viewing.

Many receivers offer a "late night" mode to compress the dynamic range, but it doesn't seem to be available for the PS3 input for some reason. I've been meaning to look into it. I had the same problem. But the reason they do it is because explosions are SUPPOSED to be loud ;)

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I turn on subtitles in most of my movies because my hearing is already poor enough that the low voices and possibly the air conditioning coming on simply makes the voices inaudible.

Originally posted by: vi edit
My biggest complaints were the unanswered question of where did Rorschach get his mask?

I think the discussion of his mask was another interesting portion that they decided to get rid of. It's kind of the beginning of Rorschach's descent into vigilantism.

Originally posted by: vi editI also felt that there wasn't a clear cut reason as to why or how the superheros were disbanned.

I believe they kinda talked about it during the scene with The Comedian and Nite Owl II breaking up that riot during the police strike.

The storylines of Dr. Manhatten were also really tacked in and felt unneeded. Maybe that's some of the extra fluff thrown in for the "directors cut".

I liked Dr. Manhattan's scenes in the comic... but they were watered down in the movie.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Aikouka
I also felt that there wasn't a clear cut reason as to why or how the superheros were disbanned.

I believe they kinda talked about it during the scene with The Comedian and Nite Owl II breaking up that riot during the police strike.

Yeah, and the "Who watches the Watchmen?" graffiti tied in with that as well.

Feb 6, 2007
The storylines of Dr. Manhatten were also really tacked in and felt unneeded. Maybe that's some of the extra fluff thrown in for the "directors cut".

I liked the story of Dr. Manhattan. I've never read the graphic novel, so my understanding is based solely on the film, but I thought his backstory added the much needed turn for his character. He starts out as your stereotypical 50s scientist; lab coat, fiancee, presumably plans of settling down into the typical nuclear family living in the suburbs. He is the quintessential American man, the living embodiment of what an American man should aspire to according to the rhetoric of the 1950s.

His turn comes from his newfound powers. He experiences the horrors of war, though by that point his detachment is already pronounced; rather than expressing horror when the Comedian kills a pregnant woman, he merely expresses a mild confusion. The quintessential American man has grown beyond the confines of his former reality, and in doing so, has realized that he no longer understands, nor cares to understand, humanity. This is compounded in his rage towards Laurie when she cheats on him, to the point that he leaves humans completely behind and retreats to Mars.

Thus, his story is compelling because we see a man who previously was willing to give his life to the American dream, but when imbued with the powers of a God, ultimately decides that no human life is worth saving. It is the sense of utter hopelessness when a character of unimaginable power refuses to help.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
is that one of the animated sequences that is already available in BD?
Correct.
One complaint I'd like to mention regarding modern sound-mixing: WTF are we always forced to turn the volume way the hell up for the duration of a film, or spend the entire time turning up for dialogue, and way the fuck down for the ridiculously loud and invasive explosions? I mean, the sound was great and all, but can't they mix the dialogue to a higher level so that our ears don't start bleeding from sudden and unexpected doors slamming or feet-through-walls and such? :(

I like the benefit of the HD sound tracks and everything, but I feel like a lot of these tracks these days are way too base-heavy, and just TFL for a decent viewing.

Many receivers offer a "late night" mode to compress the dynamic range, but it doesn't seem to be available for the PS3 input for some reason. I've been meaning to look into it. I had the same problem. But the reason they do it is because explosions are SUPPOSED to be loud ;)

I don't mind loud explosions, just ear-bleeding explosions. that's just stupid. The problem is they can't seem to mix at a level where the dialogue is decipherable and the explosions/action/whatever are still significantly louder all at the same volume level. This can be done... but "they" *shakes fist* just won't do it!

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I turn on subtitles in most of my movies because my hearing is already poor enough that the low voices and possibly the air conditioning coming on simply makes the voices inaudible.

My biggest complaints were the unanswered question of where did Rorschach get his mask?

I think the discussion of his mask was another interesting portion that they decided to get rid of. It's kind of the beginning of Rorschach's descent into vigilantism.

Well, the reasoning behind his mask was well explained, I thought, but still no clue as to how his mask does what it does. Is that what we're getting at, here?

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999

Well, the reasoning behind his mask was well explained, I thought, but still no clue as to how his mask does what it does. Is that what we're getting at, here?

Yeh, having never read the novel I wasn't sure if the "spots" were something that he controlled or if it was a function of the mask itself. In a way I actually was a little dissapointed when I found out the actual reason behind it. The movie actually left a little more to a my imagination. Which when you think about is the entire point of the Rorschack tests :p