wat? Change.gov is a government website now?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
Originally posted by: quest55720
Originally posted by: TallBill
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile
What about mandatory foreign service for a year between high school / college?

Create an international, larger version of the Peace Corps + FEMA = Global Emergency Management Agency.

19-year-olds would be required to learn basic life skills, CPR, etc. to help the poor in countries around the world / those devastated by natural disasters, etc.

I think it's what a lot of spoiled American kids need.

I hate the idea of mandatory military service because all of the dolts that would pass through. But if you gave them other options like the ones you mentioned I'd be all for it.

This is from the webpate.

Obama will call on citizens of all ages to serve America, by developing a plan to require 50 hours of community service in middle school and high school and 100 hours of community service in college every year.

It could be my second rate rural education but I swear that require is the same as forced.

Funny... my high school required 75 hours of community service to graduate... where were you ass holes when my lazyass needed advocates against this...

EDIT: and I graduated from a class of 150 in bumblefuck PA.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: SirStev0

Funny... my high school required 75 hours of community service to graduate... where were you ass holes when my lazyass needed advocates against this...

lol

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001

You are the only one putting limits on it. Again, from what I have read, Obama wants to put in a system where people can do service to this nation and get money for college. There are hundreds of options for community service currently.

Maybe you could get some financial help for volunteering for an after school program where you build a solar car. Sounds like a hell of an idea to me and would maybe get American kids back to being interested in science and engineering.

There is choice there. Here is a pile of money to help better yourself. To get it you must better your community and the world. Your choice. Go.

Doesn't that sound like a better idea than graduating people in massive debt?

If this is not mandatory then I don't have a problem with it. If it is a mandatory program then I have a huge issue with it.

However, I think that it should be staggered into different category requirements based on your major. Engineering, sciences, Arabic, teaching, and other needed fields should have a lower requirement for hours.

and finally, a) did it freak you out I guessed your major? Because you just have that same tone every EE major has.. and
b) I preferred to cyber murlocs....

Not really. I'm sure you searched on the forums for it. I don't really have too much respect for engineering students, but I don't want to ruin the technological prowess of this country. Personality-wise I don't mesh well with engineers and in fact I won't be one for too much longer.

I'm sure you were freaked out about the cyber sex though. :D

quest55720

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004

Create an international, larger version of the Peace Corps + FEMA = Global Emergency Management Agency.

19-year-olds would be required to learn basic life skills, CPR, etc. to help the poor in countries around the world / those devastated by natural disasters, etc.

I hate the idea of mandatory military service because all of the dolts that would pass through. But if you gave them other options like the ones you mentioned I'd be all for it.

Obama will call on citizens of all ages to serve America, by developing a plan to require 50 hours of community service in middle school and high school and 100 hours of community service in college every year.

It could be my second rate rural education but I swear that require is the same as forced.

That sucks and I thought I lived in a liberal area. I am not sure I would of graduated if I would have had to put in that much time. Because of how far I lived from school I did not participate in any after school activities. It was just to time consuming for my parents to spend 40 minutes driving + any waiting time.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Originally posted by: CanOWorms

I was an EE.

People can make time. I'd just rather see they make time doing other activities.

I want people to do research.
I want people to join organizations like building solar cars, etc.
I want people to work jobs that provide them with direct skills.
I want people to go out and teach if they want to be a teacher.
I want people to join clubs or even make their own clubs and learn leadership skills.

You want people to clean shit off the floors for 400 hours.

You're being naive. The average college job is some crummy minimum wage crap. 100 hours of community service @ 40$ / hour is way better. Besides, if they don't want it, nobody is forcing them to do it.

It's not a job providing a paycheck. It seems like it's a tax credit.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001

I was an EE.

People can make time. I'd just rather see they make time doing other activities.

I want people to join clubs or even make their own clubs and learn leadership skills.

You're being naive. The average college job is some crummy minimum wage crap. 100 hours of community service @ 40$ / hour is way better. Besides, if they don't want it, nobody is forcing them to do it.

I doubt that, unless it goes to the parents who claim.

Ballatician

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2007
Someone please show me where it says required service for young people.

All I remember Obama saying is young people would have the option to do community service in exchange for a tuition credit. If it isn't mandatory why are so many people crying slave labor slave labor??

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003

You are the only one putting limits on it. Again, from what I have read, Obama wants to put in a system where people can do service to this nation and get money for college. There are hundreds of options for community service currently.

Maybe you could get some financial help for volunteering for an after school program where you build a solar car. Sounds like a hell of an idea to me and would maybe get American kids back to being interested in science and engineering.

There is choice there. Here is a pile of money to help better yourself. To get it you must better your community and the world. Your choice. Go.

Doesn't that sound like a better idea than graduating people in massive debt?

If this is not mandatory then I don't have a problem with it. If it is a mandatory program then I have a huge issue with it.

However, I think that it should be staggered into different category requirements based on your major. Engineering, sciences, Arabic, teaching, and other needed fields should have a lower requirement for hours.

and finally, a) did it freak you out I guessed your major? Because you just have that same tone every EE major has.. and
b) I preferred to cyber murlocs....

Not really. I'm sure you searched on the forums for it. I don't really have too much respect for engineering students, but I don't want to ruin the technological prowess of this country. Personality-wise I don't mesh well with engineers and in fact I won't be one for too much longer.

I'm sure you were freaked out about the cyber sex though. :D

I really did guess. Not that I didn't have a slight advantage since a large percentage of this community are in such a technical field. You're attitude towards your work load is what gave you away. My roommate was an EE major and I interacted with many of his friends. Regardless of how different they were they all had the same feelings about their work load. Believe me I saw his work load and I am not saying you don't deserve to moan. But I swear I could pick an EE major out of a line up.

I personally wouldn't like it if it was mandatory either. And I haven't ever heard Obama say that he would put in a program as such. It is an option other than the military to due your patriotic duty for service and get rewarded with an education. Currently the only option for many Americans to go to college is Mommy/Daddy, Loans, or the military. This would hopefully be put in as an option.

In HS and Middle S I have heard of programs being put in, but as I said in other posts, many HS already have community service requirements for graduation. I went to a small bumblefuck school in PA and we had a community service requirement.

And to be honest sometimes teenagers need a kick in the ass to get them off their xbox's and doing something.
I know when I was 15 I didn't want to be bothered with doing such bullshit, but looking back on it I don't think lost anything and probably gained a lot for doing it.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001

I was an EE.

I doubt that, unless it goes to the parents who claim.

link

Require 100 Hours of Service in College: Obama and Biden will establish a new American Opportunity Tax Credit that is worth $4,000 a year in exchange for 100 hours of public service a year.

This change I think is nice:

Promote College Serve-Study: Obama and Biden will ensure that at least 25 percent of College Work-Study funds are used to support public service opportunities instead of jobs in dining halls and libraries.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003

That sucks and I thought I lived in a liberal area. I am not sure I would of graduated if I would have had to put in that much time. Because of how far I lived from school I did not participate in any after school activities. It was just to time consuming for my parents to spend 40 minutes driving + any waiting time.

75 hours over four years is nothing. I lived in Pennsyltucky. We were far from a liberal area. We were a very traditional area that felt kids should be out doing service for their community.

It is kind of funny... there used to be a time when I associated conservative people with being very small town and community minded...

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007
Originally posted by: bamacre
Originally posted by: halik
Originally posted by: Ocguy31

Right. Forcing adults to do things they dont want to do, because you think they need it. How religious of you.

Landslide, here we come.

Just imagine, if fleets of American ships like the USS Mercy came to the rescue within 24-48 hours of any major natural disaster anywhere on the globe with the precision of the US Military. The world would love us! Heck, it would be a great government organization for retired military, high school drop outs, perhaps even the homeless. Then, along side them, 19-year-old "kids" learning about how the real world works outside of suburbia. Helping erect hospital walls in Africa or taking care of an AIDS-infected child or carrying bags of rice in Asia...would make responsible men (and women) out of those spoiled brats in no time.

...and you call yourself an American?

"Hey, thank you guys for coming to help us."

"Yeah, whatever, we were forced to do it."

"Huh?"

"We didn't have a choice. We have to do this, the government makes us do it."

"You are a slave?"

"No. I'm an American, I come from the land of the free."

"You're a fucking slave, dude."

:thumbsup:

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
Originally posted by: halik

...and you call yourself an American? Besides this being far-fetched libtopia, forcing people to do participate in what you think is the best use of their time is NOT what this country stands for.

If you want to build houses in Africa, go for it. Do not tell *ME* where or how I should devote my altruism.

I agree, and good luck making this happen, I know more parents who would be against the govt dictating what their kids had to do. I remember in HS we had to do one month of mandatory volunteer service, and even getting kids to do that was a chore.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to see what other forms of change and sacrifice our new comrades in Washington have planned.

The march has begun. The march to a classless society. As your freedoms are whittled away one by one, you can sleep easy knowing that it's all being done for the greater good.

midway

Oct 22, 2004
by developing a plan to require 50 hours of community service in middle school and high school and 100 hours of community service in college every year.

And there it is, mandatory service. Yet I was told I was wrong in this thread.

You altered what you were quoting to fit what you want to panic about.

Require 100 Hours of Service in College: Obama and Biden will establish a new American Opportunity Tax Credit that is worth $4,000 a year in exchange for 100 hours of public service a year.

No one is required to go to college, and even those who do aren't required to do this.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Again, its listed as an opportunity for a tax credit. I did a mini peace corp between HS and college, having to fundraise all the funds myself for a year to go (approx $4000.)
I went to rural Mexico to teach and build public sanitation. Learned more about myself and what it meant to be American and all the privileges we have than any other single experience I've ever had. Also learned how different life is on other countries, and some of the advantages they have that gets sacrificed here due to the incredibly fast pace of life, long work hrs, and sometimes over focus on material possessions as the measure of quality of life.

It was one of the most interesting, educational, maturing and life changing experiences I've had. Way more than 100hrs to. Getting 100 hrs is easy. I know I'd recommend it to those that are strong enough to do it (many failed and had to go home and couldn't cope with the culture shock.) I'll be pushing my kids to do it.

The AWB? Eh.......

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: midway
by developing a plan to require 50 hours of community service in middle school and high school and 100 hours of community service in college every year.

No one is required to go to college, and even those who do aren't required to do this.

We could have had so much fun with them on this, but you had to tell the truth....oh wait, they'll just ignore it and continue panicking. Nevermind then...

43st

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
National service to a Conservative is going shopping.. Is it really any surprise that this bothers them?

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Ballatician
Someone please show me where it says required service for young people.

All I remember Obama saying is young people would have the option to do community service in exchange for a tuition credit. If it isn't mandatory why are so many people crying slave labor slave labor??

It is in the OP. "Require"

My question is, what will be the punishment for those who wish to be "lazy," or just wish to do other things with their life? Jail?

DarrelSPowers

Jul 9, 2008
I've never owned a gun before, and haven't done much community service since high school.

I really hope neither of these things happen. The possibility of a gun ban really annoys me. Who is the government to tell me what I can and cannot buy? Especially in my neighborhood, a nice assault weapon would really be a boost to home security.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: sandorski
Originally posted by: midway

We could have had so much fun with them on this, but you had to tell the truth....oh wait, they'll just ignore it and continue panicking. Nevermind then...

I looked at the link in the OP where it says...

It just says "required." It doesn't say "required if you want" something.

Is the site just incomplete? Why would it leave something out that is so important?

A more detailed plan somewhere else?

I assumed from the quote on Obama's site that Biden's idea of mandatory service became one for the administration.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
I think the website is incomplete. The service section doesn't say "require 50 hours", but that it's a goal.

# Expand Service-Learning in Our Nation's Schools: Obama and Biden will set a goal that all middle and high school students do 50 hours of community service a year. They will develop national guidelines for service- learning and will give schools better tools both to develop programs and to document student experience. Green Job Corps: Obama and Biden will create an energy-focused youth jobs program to provide disadvantaged youth with service opportunities weatherizing buildings and getting practical experience in fast-growing career fields.

# Expand YouthBuild Program: Obama and Biden will expand the YouthBuild program, which gives disadvantaged young people the chance to complete their high school education, learn valuable skills and build affordable housing in their communities. They will grow the program so that 50,000 low-income young people a year a chance to learn construction job skills and complete high school.

# Require 100 Hours of Service in College: Obama and Biden will establish a new American Opportunity Tax Credit that is worth $4,000 a year in exchange for 100 hours of public service a year.

Even if it's required, so what? We REQUIRE that children go to school 5 days a week. We REQUIRE that children take assessment tests. Why? Because those things contribute to their education.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Throckmorton
Even if it's required, so what? We REQUIRE that children go to school 5 days a week. We REQUIRE that children take assessment tests. Why? Because those things contribute to their education.

I think there's a big difference here, especially for those at age 18 and up.

I'm all for making this a better country, but when the price is an individual's freedom and liberty, then the price is too high.

We forgot what made this country great, what made our form of government different than all those before it. And when we lost faith in it, and pay for price for doing so, we can't pick ourselves up and progress by doing what knocked us down in the first place.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I couldn't even begin to imagine what a Mandatory 1-2 hours Community Service a week involving 10's of millions(guesstimate) of Kids could possibly find to do. The Streets would be picked clean, little Old Ladies would be carried around, there'd be more Volunteers at Homeless Shelters and Soup Kitchens than the Homeless and Hungry. It would be a Chaos of Kindness!