Washington Redskins plan to announce name change today, any guesses what it will be?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gill77

Aug 3, 2006
Well, start with the fact those were movies, which means the content, concepts, and verbiage came from the writer. I would assume that the writer themselves would be the racist one (either consciously or unconsciously) as they would expect the 'cowboys' and 'indians' to speak that way. Were there to be two groups actually speaking that way, then it'd be reasonable to assess they both were. Given the context of the fact they were actively killing each other though, one could probably chalk that up to hostilities and the human nature to dehumanize one's opponents. In that situation, one should probably focus on getting the two groups to stop killing each other before starting on social justice reform.

As to can you be racist and not know it, of course. You can have unconscious racism, unconscious bias, etc. The moment it's brought to your attention, of course, it isn't unconscious anymore.

I'm reminded of 'All In the Family'. Most know the character of Archie Bunker, and how wildly offensive the show was. Most haven't actually seen the entire series however, and missed the fact that Archie starts as a wildly offensive and unconsciously/unintentionally racist, he evolves over time to be a pretty compassionate person (for his time), and presents a great deal of love for those around him, regardless of color/race/creed/religion/whatever.

My guess is that you did not watch "All in the Family" when it aired. It was controversial and groundbreaking, but it never would have been the top rated show for five straight years if it were viewed as "wildly offensive".

Having the ability to see things within another man's heart even better than he can is a great tool for winning an argument or pushing an agenda, but I have personally not met anyone with that superpower. Unconscious biases are not the same thing as unconscious racism. That is nearly as big a leap as comparing a mascot to slavery.

Your comment on getting folks to stop killing each other before social reform is not that far off from this specific topic. Lots of energy being wasted over a mascot, and nothing being said, much less done, about the alarming conditions on the reservations. You don't have to be a conspiracy theorist to at least examine this and question why the energy is being focused in this manner.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Well, nobody's forcing them to (unless you consider financial pressure to be 'forced'). In 1984 anyhow, the force carrier was the government. The Redskins' leadership is free to name the team whatever they want, or maintain the existing one, they may just go bankrupt if they do not.

And, again, in this case, it's not 'might be'. Many people are offended, and have submitted to have it changed. I'll link it again.

Changing it or losing one of your primary sponsors whose name also happens to the side of the stadium feels like a "forced" option to me. They've been asked to change it several times, but now the SJW's are upping their game and attacking their opponents pocketbooks.

They tried doing to same thing to Facebook in order to get them to censor Trump posts, but that really didn't work as well because Facebook has a more diversified group of advertisers to pull from.

gill77

Aug 3, 2006
You don't feel a "1984" eske vibe about all of this? Forcing people to rename things just because someone might find them offensive?

The dictionary of "approved" words is shrinking, and somehow this is seen as progress.

Talk about going right to the heart of the matter.

Were the Redskins issue something that was not part of a greater whole, it could be easily ignored.

Clearly it is.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Depends on the region. There's a stereotype for red skin for a reason though. I'm part Cherokee and my skin gets a pretty distinct burnt orange/clay color if I get a few hours of sun. Genetically I'm mostly mixed European but the red comes through more than bronze/brown.

Very cool, i am part blackfoot cause of my great grandmother but my skin is pretty pale. I also got some german too from family who came over during WW1. Maybe i got more german then native who knows. Honestly i don't care but thought it was worth a mention.

Not even sure if our color matters at this point, i seen enough albinos and dark skinned "tan" folks to know color isn''t everything. I refuse to feed into stereotypes and just assume things.

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
My guess is that you did not watch "All in the Family" when it aired. It was controversial and groundbreaking, but it never would have been the top rated show for five straight years if it were viewed as "wildly offensive".
No, that was before my time. I only meant the language was wildly offensive/controversial, not the content/intent of course.
Your comment on getting folks to stop killing each other before social reform is not that far off from this specific topic. Lots of energy being wasted over a mascot, and nothing being said, much less done, about the alarming conditions on the reservations. You don't have to be a conspiracy theorist to at least examine this and question why the energy is being focused in this manner.
I don't disagree. Doesn't mean you can't also change the mascot/name though. We can walk and chew gum at the same time.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
No, that was before my time. I only meant the language was wildly offensive/controversial, not the content/intent of course.

I don't disagree. Doesn't mean you can't also change the mascot/name though. We can walk and chew gum at the same time.

The entire idea of a reservation is idiotic and it will never function properly. It's even worse up north for our Canadian red headed step brothers of the north.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
The entire idea of a reservation is idiotic and it will never function properly. It's even worse up north for our Canadian red headed step brothers of the north.
Agreed, but how do you maintain a native population within their own legal nation without it? Give them a state and call it gravy?

gill77

Aug 3, 2006

My take would be that we should walk the talk and fix the concrete things and not get worry about what kind of gum the other guy wants to chew.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
My take would be that we should walk the talk and fix the concrete things and not get worry about what kind of gum the other guy wants to chew.
What do you feel the Washington Redskins could have done to 'walk the talk' aside from a) donating money to $thing or b) change their name?

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Agreed, but how do you maintain a native population within their own legal nation without it? Give them a state and call it gravy?

Given how much our ancestors lost, a few states is barely worth it. Honestly doubt there is a single solution i would be 100% content with. Sorry, just history and all. I can't forget it. Believe me i tried, i just keep thinking of history and its like nope.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Yeah, times change, and the way we treat people will continue to be addressed until we start regarding each other as actually equal. This takes decades, and indeed probably centuries of hammering on the anvil of social reform until we've evolved enough as a society to do right by each other. Since the Minnesota blackies isn't socially permitted as a sportsball team, the Washington Redskins shouldn't either. One more step on the path.

Now, what I'm hearing, is that you feel left behind. You should question whether that's good or bad.

Exactly, this isn't going to end by tomorrow, next week, or in 10 years. It will take decades, and like you said possible centuries. The old and thier antiquated ways of thought and life will have to die out. Their children will have to pass on as well. This is a generational thing. Even then, it's going to take a LOT of work.

gill77

Aug 3, 2006
What do you feel the Washington Redskins could have done to 'walk the talk' aside from a) donating money to $thing or b) change their name?

I don't feel they should feel the need to be extorted into doing anything. They should play football. I'm talking about society as a whole helping those in need, not going after a person or an organization to further an agenda.

I have been trying to think about this whole R e d s k i n (this is truly weird - without the spaces the word changes after posting to "beloved patriot"- I have never seen anything like it) thing and trying to figure it out. Maybe it is growing up with "sticks and stones will break my bones" thing, but it just does not hit home. Were I to meet an Indian and he said "Hey Pale-face", I would not feel offended. As long as he acting in a non threatening manner, I would probably get a laugh out of it.

It seems pretty clear that when the organization changed its name from Braves to Redskins back in the 30's, it was not looking for new ways to piss people off. Doubtful that they thought much about it at all, either way. I know that toilet paper is now bathroom tissue and language changes, but I don't see anything inherently bad about the word.

Clearly though, a portion of society has seized upon words and labeled them as racist etc. I really don't know how long it will be before the Dallas Cowboys become the Dallas Cowpeople. It seems to be much more about getting people to bend to their will than true substantive change.

When did it switch from a team name to a racist caricature for you personally? Did you one day find it offensive? Did you learn it in school?. Is there some ever growing list of words that need to be banned. Are books ever to be included? How does this all work? How do you know which words get added to the list and when?

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I don't feel they should feel the need to be extorted into doing anything.
'They' weren't. The owner did based on financial reasons. I'm sure if he cared enough he could have found different backers, or self-funded, or shut the team down, or whatever. He's not a beaten dog here.
I'm talking about society as a whole helping those in need, not going after a person or an organization to further an agenda.
You feel someone had an agenda here? Aside from eliminating an offensive team name that is? Where does the barrier, to you, lie between fixing a legitimate racist problem, and being an 'sjw'?
(this is truly weird - without the spaces the word changes after posting to "beloved patriot"- I have never seen anything like it)
Over-9000 irony, that's a dirty-word filter the forum has. There's quite a few words that trigger it, and apparently that's one of them.
Maybe it is growing up with "sticks and stones will break my bones" thing, but it just does not hit home. Were I to meet an Indian and he said "Hey Pale-face", I would not feel offended. As long as he acting in a non threatening manner, I would probably get a laugh out of it.
As I said earlier in this thread, I'm not one to freak out over such things. I've been called and witnessed far worse. Doesn't mean it isn't something that should be fixed though, and at the end of the day the non-offended aren't the ones that make the call. It's the offended, and those deciding what to do about it.
When did it switch from a team name to a racist caricature for you personally? Did you one day find it offensive? Did you learn it in school?. Is there some ever growing list of words that need to be banned. Are books ever to be included? How does this all work? How do you know which words get added to the list and when?
I've always thought it was, at least from the point where I realized people were racist and what that meant (sometime pre-teen). Again, it wasn't something I ever flipped out about/carried a sign over, but it is objectively racist. If we're now caring enough about each other to try to actually deal with racism, this is one of those that just has to be addressed. You can't deal with racism against people of African, Asian, South/Central American, and the myriad other people we have offensive names/caricatures of, and not deal with Native Americans.

By books, you mean offensive/racist books? I'd never advocate for outright destroying books, as literature can tell a meta story that has value, including teaching people what racism was. As far as 'which words', I suppose that depends on who's looking, and how much we as a society care to understand that person's perspective. Kinda like we've been doing so far.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Doing both would be great. But instead we are diluting our efforts and doing neither. Changing the name hasn't worked for decades. Yet people try again. There is a saying about people that keep trying the same thing after it failed the last time.

The only thing that talks is money. The team owner didn't give a damn until people started talking about boycotting their sponsors. We need substantive reform--real changes with real money and real time commitments--if you ever expect to get the much harder cultural reform done.

That's a lot of nonsense. Slavery abolitionists kept trying for centuries. Anti-discrimination advocates kept trying for centuries. And your comment about the name makes no sense since after decades of trying, now they DID agree to change it.

Yes, the owner agreed for selfish money reasons, not because he became more decent, I suspect. But that's ok, the issue here was to get the name changed, not to change the owner's views. That's a win that doesn't need other money. You aren't at all clear what 'reform' you are suggesting in addition. But this is one improvement.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
You aren't at all clear what 'reform' you are suggesting in addition.
I gave a list of possible reforms (See below). Do I need to write a detailed plan to fix the world's ailments here on ATOT for the world to follow to satisfy you (hint: I won't be doing that, because I'm pretty sure you still wouldn't be satisfied even if I did take the year to write it out)? My point is that we, as a society, should prioritize and actually solve problems systematically. I personally would prioritize problems that make true differences in lives, rather than feel good problems. Yes, we'll tackle the feel good problems too. But, a prioritized list will get far more accomplished than half-heartedly trying all things simultaneously.
Why not focus on solving the bigotry instead? Why not focus on how the government is letting Native Americans down in just about every way possible, including reneging on just about every deal made? Why not focus on taking away Nation status, destroying culture, rampaging over sacred lands with pipelines, etc? Why not focus on lack of economic opportunities, micromanaging from the federal government, massive delays in legally binding payments (if the payments come at all)? Focusing on the name of a team that hasn't won in decades doesn't solve anything.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I don't feel they should feel the need to be extorted into doing anything. They should play football. I'm talking about society as a whole helping those in need, not going after a person or an organization to further an agenda.

"Agenda" is one of those words that can show garbled thinking, as if any "agenda" is an evil James Bond villain plot. It's a vague word. There are 'good' agendas and 'bad' agendas. Just saying "agenda" often comes out with spit-filled rage, but needs more to justify that.

I have been trying to think about this whole R e d s k i n (this is truly weird - without the spaces the word changes after posting to "beloved patriot"- I have never seen anything like it) thing and trying to figure it out. Maybe it is growing up with "sticks and stones will break my bones" thing, but it just does not hit home. Were I to meet an Indian and he said "Hey Pale-face", I would not feel offended. As long as he acting in a non threatening manner, I would probably get a laugh out of it.

How about a group of natives come and kill some of your family and neighbors, and kidnap the rest of you to move you to the most inhospitable bit of dirt in the desert they can find, and THEN call you a racial slur? Ha, ha? You are laughing, huh.

People whose ancestors oppressed others can look really clueless when they have some bizarre lack of understanding of the issues, as if calling 'a name' back and forth makes the two sides 'equal' historically.

Now, on the one hand, people are people. Black people, native people, white people today weren't slaves, weren't the subject of military slaughters, didn't do those things. There aren't 'ancestral' bank accounts that make the descendants of the victims 'owed' the same compensation as the victims, that makes the descendants of the perpetrators equally guilty as the perpetrators.

But it's also a lie not to recognize that centuries of discrimination had legacy effects that exist to this day, affecting the culture, causing racism, causing less wealth and opportunity for descendants TODAY directly from that history, even if the rules are now 'no discrimination'. The analogy is often made to having a race where some start further back, but it's 'equal' during the race.

But these bigger issues, which are not understood by many, aren't really the stakes of this team name issue, which you admit you don't get. More on that in a moment.

It seems pretty clear that when the organization changed its name from Braves to Redskins back in the 30's, it was not looking for new ways to piss people off. Doubtful that they thought much about it at all, either way. I know that toilet paper is now bathroom tissue and language changes, but I don't see anything inherently bad about the word.

Clearly though, a portion of society has seized upon words and labeled them as racist etc. I really don't know how long it will be before the Dallas Cowboys become the Dallas Cowpeople. It seems to be much more about getting people to bend to their will than true substantive change.

I think you're actually right in a good amount. That the motive for the name wasn't people saying, how can they be evil and hateful toward a group. That they didn't 'mean' the name that way.

It's something of a straw man to imply that people are claiming that IS what it was about, but let's agree, it wasn't. But think about it. Was the name meant to be 'respectful' to natives, either? Or did it somewhat treat the group of Native Americans, who had basically nothing to do with the team or sport or fans, almost like animals, where you have the "Dolphins" and "Tigers" and "Redskins"?

In fairness it should be pointed out, that Dallas doesn't have a bigoted, demeaning view of "Cowboys". Picking a name like that isn't just meant to demean necessarily. But given the view of native people historically, it seems a lot closer to the 'animal' treatment than the 'respectful cowboy' treatment.

The bottom line is that Natives, who were the victims of genocide, who haven't been treated very well historically - it seems like it took a century for the Custer story to develop two sides, for a group of slaughtering military of civilians who had the tables turned just once to be anything other than obviously the good guys - don't like being the mascot of a team they have nothing to do with.

And if there IS some respect for them, that that should be listened to. Think of it like blackface - having a white person run around acting like an idiot to amuse other white people isn't exactly respectful of black people. And having a 'beloved patriot' mascot essentially running around like an idiot, doing 'whoops' as non-Native fans are amused and entertained, is disrespectful.

Even if in BOTH cases 'they didn't mean any harm'. There comes a point you get a bit more of a clue, and say 'oh, that is jerky to them', and you stop doing it.

I'll tell you, white voice artists who did non-white voices didn't 'mean any harm'. But nearly all of them have recently come to understand, 'oh, that actually can be sort of offensive, and there's a real impact the role was denied to an artist of that race', and said they don't think it's right anymore, and won't do it.

That's a sort of cultural blindness. White people might not have 'meant any harm' when they did blackface comedy, but that's sort of the point, the disrespect they had for black people meant it was fine to do it because it didn't matter how black people thought of it, they were in their own little world, not a multi-cultural one, and 'we have a black maid' didn't count.

This is evolving. The non-white people have long recognized these issues; more white people are beginning to, not all. To the ones who don't, it's still a mystery, filled with straw men. "But they didn't pick the name Redskins for the team trying to be hateful". No, but there's more to the issue. And we're improving it.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I gave a list of possible reforms (See below). Do I need to write a detailed plan to fix the world's ailments here on ATOT for the world to follow to satisfy you (hint: I won't be doing that, because I'm pretty sure you still wouldn't be satisfied even if I did take the year to write it out)? My point is that we, as a society, should prioritize and actually solve problems systematically. I personally would prioritize problems that make true differences in lives, rather than feel good problems. Yes, we'll tackle the feel good problems too. But, a prioritized list will get far more accomplished than half-heartedly trying all things simultaneously.

I can just repeat what I said, "both".

There's a common element, to "we don't care about their being harmed on substance", such as the things you list, and "we don't care about their being disrespected culturally by ignoring their complaint about the virtual blackface routine done to them with the team name use of their race by a white owner. That name makes it a little easier to keep disrespecting them on the substance, also.

First, we stopped saying blackface was ok.

Then, we started caring more about systematic policing problems. They weren't unrelated.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
It's something of a straw man to imply that people are claiming that IS what it was about, but let's agree, it wasn't. But think about it. Was the name meant to be 'respectful' to natives, either? Or did it somewhat treat the group of Native Americans, who had basically nothing to do with the team or sport or fans, almost like animals, where you have the "Dolphins" and "Tigers" and "Redskins"?
An additional modern 'is this racist' check: Would a person think it's okay to change the name of a team today to the Redskins? Mascot, emblem, everything. Would the executives in charge think that was a good idea, would the presentation to those who would be funding it go over well, and would the players support wearing that symbol on their helmets?

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Just to add to my (long) post above, writing it made this a bit clearer to me. That if you had gone to a club filled with a white audience (blacks not allowed unless as servers), and white entertainers in blackface acting as caricatures of black people that the audience found HILARIOUS, that if you stopped them and said 'don't you understand this is offensive to black people', you'd have gotten blank stares and confusion.

That THAT would have been a revelation to them - while 'they didn't mean any harm', they were simply so submerged in a CULTURE where black people were thought of so little that you'd no more think of being offended by mocking them than you'd think of it being offensive to your dog that you aren't equals. What are you talking about?

That simple change - from ridiculing blacks being 'not a problem' they could even understand - to recognizing why it was wrong was a big 'evolution'. It's too easy to misrepresent the history, as it being a bunch of KKK members doing it to be hateful, when it wasn't. Understanding the issue means understanding that history more accurately.

Hell, we could use another example, of women, long 'property', and seen as unfit to be men's equals on real things like politics. It's only in frickin 1920 we said 'oh' and realized they might deserve the right to vote. That was an evolution in our thinking. Men didn't sit around saying 'let's be hateful to women and not let them vote', it just didn't make sense to consider doing.

If you had stopped our founding fathers' discussion and said, 'you are being very unfair to women not giving them the right to vote', you'd have gotten blank stares. What are you talking about? And that's despite at least one of the founders' wives having made that very point, but it was crazy then.

I could go on. Chickens, the animal, I don't think should be seen as 'equal' to humans at all. But going from horrific suffering caused to billions of chickens for factory use, as if they're machine parts, not creatures, to having SOME sense of that being wrong and looking for more humane treatment of them being the right thing to do, is an evolution that I think is good.

Yet to have suggested this to people who had not had that evolution, and had operated the factories for years, you'd have gotten blank stares. What are you talking about?

It took us a century after killing millions of Native to see them as much more than rattlesnakes we'd cleared out of our way, rightfully.

It took us a century after ending slavery to say 'oh, laws keeping black people treated as second class are wrong'.

It took us centuries to say, 'oh, gay people aren't just evil monsters it's ok to kill, to jail, to absolutely deny rights to', and to say 'oh, they deserve the right to get married like heterosexual people'. And that one we just barely did IN THE LAST DECADE. People suggesting it 20 years ago got a lot of blank looks and 'What are you talking about?'

And that's sort of the point. It's evolution. To someone who hasn't had an evolution on something, suggesting gay marriage be respected makes as much sense as respecting marrying your car - which is the very comparison many made. It just doesn't make sense to them.

And saying a team name disrespecting Natives should be changed just doesn't make sense to the people who don't understand why it should be. Blank stares, 'What are you talking about?', and 'when does it stop?'

But I have to think that after these evolutions happen, on issue after issue after issue, maybe people might get a little better at them. Even if the jury is out on that.

There's a lot of history with a similar issue. Utterly brutal colonies weren't seen as 'wrong' for centuries. What are you talking about, they'd have asked - they're doing the colonies a FAVOR. Evolution.

I'm not sure there was one white person in the US in 1865 who wouldn't have been aghast that they were opening the door not just to ending the harm of slavery - and even that harm was controversial, with many seeing it as good and humane for the slaves - but to the fuller equality we recognized a century later.

I'm not sure one of the same people in 1865 who passed the equal rights amendment wouldn't have been aghast that 150 years later it would be the cause of gay marriage becoming the law of the land for gay people - and that that, in turn, would lead to a large majority of the country recognizing that as right for the first time in history.

Just understanding this process - the evolution on these issues - going from the 'What are you talking about?' to a better understanding of justice - is very valuable.

Man has always had a sense of justice. They've care about justice since Greeks wrote about it over 2000 years ago, since Hammurabai wrote rules. But understanding what's right and wrong, has been the issue. And that's what's evolved - and we're at a point large parts of the country are on different sides of the evolution about some issues.

Unfortunately, the evolution often has happened by luck, by accident, by force, not by evolution to cause the change, but by evolution seeing things in a new light after they happen.

The US never did reach a point of democratically ending gay marriage bans across the country; it was when the court forced the change, and people saw the result, that evolution happened.

It took a century of that awkward 'no longer slaves, but not equal' status for black people for the country to finally say 'hm, maybe we need to do more than end slavery'. Evolution happened after a wartime situation brought an end to slavery - very slowly.

Britain didn't free India from colonization because they recognized it had been wrong, France didn't free Angola from colonization because they recognized it had been wrong - they were freed by successful rebellions, and THEN the evolution happened that colonization hadn't been so right.

I guess I'd say people who have that 'What are you talking about' reaction would do well to consider, maybe there's a point to the right and wrong being pointed out; and people who DO recognize something as right and wrong others don't, should better understand the others often don't instead of thinking they do and are just intentionally doing the wrong thing.

For example, finding out that decades ago someone participated in a blackface event is seen as their having done so with full knowledge how offensive it was, while I suspect most of the time, they had no real idea at the time, and we are probably too harsh on them now, if they've evolved on it. Who is defending blackface today?

This is a conversation you couldn't really even have for most of our history. People wouldn't understand the idea. They understood a little here and there; for example, Mark Twain wrote a book painting racism as ugly. But we seem to have only recently started to be able to see change after change making a more general point about justice clearer.

And we should value that. And not only try to force it on people, but to help them evolve to embrace it.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
This fits well into Douglas Murray's "Things we all knew until yesterday".

Before yesterday, a picture of an Indian on a helmet was a picture of an Indian on a helmet. Now it is a racist caricature.

I explained that change in quite long posts.:)

But in a word, evolution. But even your language shows the issue. 'Before yesterday, a picture of an Indian on a helmet was disrespectfully mocking them, just as blackface comedy disrespected black people. Now, we don't do that, and treat Native Americans (and black people, on blackface) better.' Not seeing the problem before (with either), is part of the problem.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Man, you guys are really missing the point.

It was racist before it was brought up, that's why it was brought up.

Would you also say that slavery wasn't bad before it was abolished? That civil rights for minorities wasn't a concern until that was brought up?
That's a stretch.

True blackface was always racist when it deprived black actors from roles portraying black characters.

Saying there is no circumstance in which a white person can impersonate a black person is a distortion, and it's only "racist" because people started claiming it was.

I can cosplay any white character, and that's fine. I can't cosplay my favorite black character without altering the character's identity. Seems that would be the offensive part.