Was AMD's Small Die strategy a huge mistake?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
AMD's "mistake" was somewhere down the line they didn't put as much effort into their software than hardware. The damage is already done and the perception of bad AMD drivers exists.

Yea, their drivers suck.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1038923336

Not as bad as back in ATI days though. I wouldn't use an ATI card if you paid me too since I had to reinstall a broken OS too many times due to it.
In the first 6 months after acquisition AMD fixed a bunch of those (check the release notes; they admit it there)
Still their drivers are crap compared to nVidia's... I am using one now and its got issues. But I deal with them because the performance per price was good.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
No but they owe it to it's shareholders.

Yeah, and there's two ways to do that.

Sell more for less or sell less for more.

Do you have evidence that their cards were "collecting dust" when they were released? From what I remember, they didn't have trouble selling them at those prices when they were launched, but they did once nVidia finally released some competition.

f1sherman

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2011
Having trouble selling, shouldn't even be in a dictionary when you have whole new-gen GPU lineup released, and your competition has 1 or 2 new cards.

And AMD ought to know they have wrong pricing when distributors are selling bellow MSRP.
Not much point being 1st to the market, when you're 2nd in volumes 3 months later.

7700 and 7800 should be flying off the shelves, the same way 650/660(Ti) will be doing soon.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Having trouble selling, shouldn't even be in a dictionary when you have whole new-gen GPU lineup released, and your competition has 1 or 2 new cards.

I've mentioned it before but we just don't know 28nm supply and pricing numbers from when those cards first came out. I think the pricing of the 79XX series was due to several factors: lack of competition at the time, and 28nm pricing effects. It wasn't just because they wanted to gouge us.

sontin

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2011
Sure it was. Why do you think AMD released a 7970 with such clocks? Or why they will reduce the price to $429 from $549 after 6 months?

I bet they did the same with the OEMs. Asking for more money because they thought nVidia would be months away.

Siberian

Jul 10, 2012
:'(
Sure it was. Why do you think AMD released a 7970 with such clocks? Or why they will reduce the price to $429 from $549 after 6 months?

I bet they did the same with the OEMs. Asking for more money because they thought nVidia would be months away.

I do feel bad for anyone who spent $549 for a 7970. Once bitten, twice shy.

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004
:'(

I do feel bad for anyone who spent $549 for a 7970. Once bitten, twice shy.

Don't feel bad, I don't. I've gotten next-gen performance for the last 6 months and using my card for Bitcoin mining has reduced the total cost to $400. ():)

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
Don't feel bad, I don't. I've gotten next-gen performance for the last 6 months and using my card for Bitcoin mining has reduced the total cost to $400. ():)

did you include the costs of power for the PC as well as AC in this figure?

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004
did you include the costs of power for the PC as well as AC in this figure?

Sure did. Currently I'm making ~$2.25/day after the cost of electricity is taken into account. Back in February and March it was closer to $1.25/day.

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
Contrary to what the denizens of the microcosm on this board (and others, to be fair) believe, the rest of the world couldn't care less about benchmarks or any reviews. Most profits come from the OEM sectors and there it's what gets the job done for the least amount possible. AMD's small die strategy is probably the only thing that kept them afloat for this long. What's sinking them is their chronic mismanagement, lack of diversification, and poor support/PR/customer relations (which stems from chronic mismanagement I suppose).

Siberian

Jul 10, 2012
I read about bitcoins, sounds like an odd scam or something. The currency and value are not really based on anything. I guess it could be like gold farming in a game. It appears to be unsustainable.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Contrary to what the denizens of the microcosm on this board (and others, to be fair) believe, the rest of the world couldn't care less about benchmarks or any reviews. Most profits come from the OEM sectors and there it's what gets the job done for the least amount possible. AMD's small die strategy is probably the only thing that kept them afloat for this long. What's sinking them is their chronic mismanagement, lack of diversification, and poor support/PR/customer relations (which stems from chronic mismanagement I suppose).

OEM's is where it's at. How many PC's does Dell, etc. sell? This is where nVidia wins big. I've never purchased from nVidia or nVidia product from their partners. I would bet though that they offer better more profitable deals to the OEM's. Likely with rebates from nVidia that escalate with numbers purchased. That's why the standard packages that are typically offered include nVidia cards. There's only one reason a retailer/supplier would do that, it makes them more money.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
I read about bitcoins, sounds like an odd scam or something. The currency and value are not really based on anything. I guess it could be like gold farming in a game. It appears to be unsustainable.

How is this different then any other fiat currency in the world today?
Bitcoin is meant as an alternative currency for those who don't trust their governments due to long term mismanagement of currency (reasonable) but want something more portable and internet friendly then precious metals.

It will most likely end when government confiscate it all and shut it down as they have done to every other alternative currency in the past... INCLUDING privately minted gold coins (US government says its printing fake currency if you mint gold coins that vague look like dollars despite being worth about 100 times more). That's the problem with all those alternative currencies, they forget that the government has a monopoly on violence and if it is as bad as they believe then it will gladly use it.

Another thing the US implemented halfway into the Obama Depression was make it so that every transaction you make with a precious metals, no matter how small requires you to file an entire form (one per transaction!) or its tax evasion (formerly it was only transactions over $600 that needed reported and required a single line for all transactions rather then a whole form per transaction). And historically when things get REALLY bad governments outright ban all trade / payment in precious metals with confiscation and imprisonment as penalties to ensure the populace is forced to use its useless hyper inflation fiat currency. This is because the inflation is largely caused by the government printing more money, aka a secret backdoor tax which they don't want you to bypass.

Until its inevitable shutdown, bitcoin is widely used in criminal activity because criminals are morons, as bitcoins transactions are inherently semi public in order to prevent it from being used for criminal activity (so that it isn't shut down even quicker by governments). Semi public as in, every transaction is public but done under an anonymized wallet ID. If you find out someone's wallet ID (aka, make a deal with them or capture their computer) you can look online and find every transaction that ID has ever made. And if you capture their computer you can find out all their wallet IDs.

Last edited:

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000

You probably don't understand how the US money supply isn't based on anything either.

Google "Fiat currency"