WARNING Terrorists will use Almanacs to kill you!

shurato

Platinum Member
Sep 24, 2000
Link to article

Eh....well...no comment....sigh.... They might as well just say beware of all arabs and mexicans who look like arabs.
This is getting stupid.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Don't order any Almanacs from Amazon.com or Barnes & Noble or Borders or ANY ONLINE seller.. PATRIOT ACT II --Big Brother IS Watching

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Oh NOOOOOO!!! I just had a thought. We are doomed if the Terrorists discover the GOOGLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Yes this is terrible. I can't believe they would provide a profile! This is 1984!

It would just be easier if they went the OP's route. No sense in offerring more clues.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: alchemize
Yes this is terrible. I can't believe they would provide a profile! This is 1984!

It would just be easier if they went the OP's route. No sense in offerring more clues.

What were you guys saying about my Civil War thread?

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: alchemize

What were you guys saying about my Civil War thread?

Sorry I forget the
rolleye.gif
for sarcasm.

Here let me give you more.

Next thing you know the FBI will restrict the issuance of almanacs! And then soon we'll have book burning! Aiyeeeeee!

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Next they'll be saying that anyone who buys maps at airports or in bookstores could be a potential terrorist.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Drift3r
Next they'll be saying that anyone who buys maps at airports or in bookstores could be a potential terrorist.

No that is not what they are saying at all. Are you really so stupid that you believe that?

What they are saying is that if there is already reason to be suspicious that maps and articles that detail locations of water supplies and public utilities could be a futher indication to be supscious.

Sheesh, the kids these days believe anything.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Originally posted by: etech

No that is not what they are saying at all. Are you really so stupid that you believe that?

What they are saying is that if there is already reason to be suspicious that maps and articles that detail locations of water supplies and public utilities could be a futher indication to be supscious.

First of all -> Fuck YOU ! and second of all why don't they just say instead "Look out for all Arabs, Muslims or Arab or Muslim looking guys." This would make a whole lot of sense and the average guy/gal on the street won't be tailed by the FBI or put on a list like war protestors were put on because he/she bought a freaking almanac or tourist map. You know it's going to happen because this is the neo-con big goverment era and they will always find a way to screw things up. I won't even mention how easy it is to pick up information of the net.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/iraq.htm

MonstaThrilla

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2000

First of all -> Fuck YOU ! and second of all why don't they just say instead "Look out for all Arabs, Muslims or Arab or Muslim looking guys." This would make a whole lot of sense and the average guy/gal on the street won't be tailed by the FBI or put on a list like war protestors were put on because he/she bought a freaking almanac or tourist map. You know it's going to happen because this is the neo-con big goverment era and they will always find a way to screw things up.

Don't get upset at etech's personal attacks. He loves doing them. Especially when you say that zany Iraqi urban legends about our troops (like x-ray vision sunglasses or air conditioned underwear) are funny. He'll just go nuts. :D

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001

First of all -> Fuck YOU ! and second of all why don't they just say instead "Look out for all Arabs, Muslims or Arab or Muslim looking guys." This would make a whole lot of sense and the average guy/gal on the street won't be tailed by the FBI or put on a list like war protestors were put on because he/she bought a freaking almanac or tourist map. You know it's going to happen because this is the neo-con big goverment era and they will always find a way to screw things up.

I bet etech is the nicest guy in real life. Cause I know he's older and would'nt have gotten that way with his condesending/insluting ways he displays here. Forgive... maybe had a bad day?

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

First of all -> Fuck YOU ! and second of all why don't they just say instead "Look out for all Arabs, Muslims or Arab or Muslim looking guys." This would make a whole lot of sense and the average guy/gal on the street won't be tailed by the FBI or put on a list like war protestors were put on because he/she bought a freaking almanac or tourist map. You know it's going to happen because this is the neo-con big goverment era and they will always find a way to screw things up. I won't even mention how easy it is to pick up information of the net.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/iraq.htm

You only proved that I was correct. You are stupid enough to believe anything.

Thanks for playing, now run along.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: tnitsuj
Oh NOOOOOO!!! I just had a thought. We are doomed if the Terrorists discover the GOOGLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rofl

ReiAyanami

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2002
but seriously, who the flock goes around carrying an almanac? unless you're a librarian, in a library...

remember that scene in the first MIB movie where will smith shoots the small innocent girl alian square in the forehead? why because she was walking around with a book on intergalactic quantum physics.

yes the almanac idea is absurd, but the small details can reveal alot. like a kid from my highschool took a picture of himself surrounded by a dozen guns and was dumb enough to have it develop. the photo clerk found it odd and contacted the police, maybe its just a joke or a hunting photo, or another columbine. the police raided him and found two dozen explosive devices. he had plans drawn up to attack a local community college the very next day as well as a suicide note. he is know spending the rest of his life behind jail

AND REMEMBER. BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU!!!

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Originally posted by: ReiAyanami
but seriously, who the flock goes around carrying an almanac? unless you're a librarian, in a library...

remember that scene in the first MIB movie where will smith shoots the small innocent girl alian square in the forehead? why because she was walking around with a book on intergalactic quantum physics.

You are justifying what is going on in REAL LIFE with a hollywood movie...

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Its pitiful to think it would wreak havoc in the intelligence community if we all carried a box cutter and an almanac.

Jul 1, 2000
I think that when individaul snippets like this are singled out, it can make the intelligence community look ridiculous. However, the same guys have managed to stop a couple of notable terrorist plots in the US and Canada, so I will defer to them.

shurato

Platinum Member
Sep 24, 2000
Originally posted by: DevilsAdvocate
I think that when individaul snippets like this are singled out, it can make the intelligence community look ridiculous. However, the same guys have managed to stop a couple of notable terrorist plots in the US and Canada, so I will defer to them.

Not to be cynical but wheres the proof they stopped these terrorist plots besides them just telling us they did? Don't get me wrong...im all for stopping terrorists but i feel like we are getting manipulated sometimes by our govt and the media so its hard not to be cynical these days. One day their telling us to stock up on duct tape and another day their telling us to look out for people carrying almanacs...

maluckey

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2003
Shurato, you ARE being manipulated by the government. Ask any former Combat soldier about disinformation, and secrecy. You'll hear great stories about it. Some funny, some scary.

Ask any Federal officer about what really goes on. You'd be surprised. Federal agencies do not generally go to the press or police. You'll never hear about the vast majority of drug seizures, arrests of kidnappers, murderers, spies, and their ilk. They just dissappear into the system quietly so as to not disturb the Average Joe. In my 13 years of federal servive, I have seen some real winners in the field of disinformation, deliberately misleading and/or sending the press on a goose chase to get them out of the way. No real feat, just give them a tip here or there that sends them far from the action.

Don't always believe the press is the first lesson I learned when the govt. is concerned. Not to sound ominous, just that you sometimes either don't get the story at all, or only get what they want you to get.

McCarthy

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Jeesh, any mole hill can be a mountain these days.

FBI points out something that local law enforcement might not consider - that an almanac is packed with details other than when to plant potatos. This is pointed out as one of many little details to look for. Media writes yet another misleading headline for shock value and away we go.

Seems to me it's a pretty good detail to watch for. I hadn't thought about the information that was in an almanac as it may pertain to attacks. Doubt many local cops had either. Maps maybe, almanacs, nope. Think of the sniper case in the DC area, or Ohio. Pull someone over for speeding, see high power binoculars on the passenger seat, it might make you ask more questions. If they have a Canon XTG-03 digital camera (just made up) sitting on the seat you might not. Unless someone had pointed out to you that the XTG-03 has a 100x optical zoom. Then this item with the same characteristics should raise the same questions.

Plenty of real things to be concerned about, this doesn't seem to be one of them.

Bitdog

Dec 3, 2003
Singling out people as terrorists because they posess an almanac,
then investigating or detaining them, using racial profiling, sounds rediculas,
because it goes against our basic freedom & democracy constitutional rights.
So our government would never do that. But they do.

It kinda comes down to a matter of trust.
Do I trust the government to be reasonable & fair seems to be the question.

Trust is a bad thing.
The best relationships arn't based on trust, their based on honesty.
Honesty is how one gets the trust of others, which you then never abuse.
Honesty is not a tool to get that trust. Trust is not the goal of fair person.
Our government is not honest with us. (Iraq WMD is an example.)
But using the modern media, lying can also get trust from individuals,
via repeat ad's (brain washing/programming), then that trust is abused for gain.

What I have personally seen about our governments conduct shows that
our government is not honest & can't be trusted.
They no longer represent reasonable & fair people,
they use their power to represent themselves.
It's taxation with out representation.
Gays arn't represented, pot smokers arn't, and it even goes down to people with almanac's now.

The Idea of: do what ever it takes to avert another terrorist attack in USA,
costs us more than another terrorist attack would.
The "WHAT EVER" part goes into infinitum.
And, "I'M NOT WILLING TO GIVE UP MY FREEDOM TO BE FREE"