inline 6
47K miles

How long should I warm up my car? :D

Edit:
The current temp is 10F

Kalvin00

Lifer
Jan 11, 2003
Just rev it up to about 6000RPM right after it catches, it will help the muffler bearings warm up.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I give mine about 5-10 seconds to make sure everything is moving nicely and then I'm off to the races. I drive slowly with low throttle until the car is at full operating temp, of course. People who are waiting a number of MINUTES probably need to reevaluate their lives :)

TheLonelyPhoenix

Diamond Member
Feb 15, 2004
Originally posted by: Skoorb
I give mine about 5-10 seconds to make sure everything is moving nicely and then I'm off to the races. I drive slowly with low throttle until the car is at full operating temp, of course. People who are waiting a number of MINUTES probably need to reevaluate their lives :)

1) Walk outside.
2) Start engine.
3) Walk back inside, pack up for the day.
4) Go back outside to warmed-up engine.
5) Profit.

Juno

Lifer
Jul 3, 2004
Originally posted by: TheLonelyPhoenix

1) Walk outside.
2) Start engine.
5) Profit.

That's what I did most of the time but now I live on the college campus. I ain't walking back to dorms because it's like 1/4 mile away!

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000

1) Walk outside.
2) Start engine.
5) Profit.
To what end? You get your shoes on, start car, then go back inside and take them off. What if you're kept inside a bit longer? Never mind the fact that auto manufacturers are NOT recommending this, and in fact many mechanics recommend, in ideal circumstances, warming up the car as quickly as possible.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
yeah wtf is an inline v6?

and modern cars do not need to be warmed up.

TheLonelyPhoenix

Diamond Member
Feb 15, 2004

1) Walk outside.
2) Start engine.
5) Profit.
To what end? You get your shoes on, start car, then go back inside and take them off. What if you're kept inside a bit longer? Never mind the fact that auto manufacturers are NOT recommending this, and in fact many mechanics recommend, in ideal circumstances, warming up the car as quickly as possible.

*puts on boxing gloves*

Wanna go, bitch? :p

I just like having a nice warm engine that I can drive the way I usually do during the winter. I leave it to warm up while I go grab whatever books and stuff I need, and maybe grab a cup of coffee before I head out.

I've never heard that this is in any way damaging to the car, so if you've got a link about that I'd like to see it.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: ragazzo
2000 model
inline v6
47K miles

First of all, there is no such thing as an "inline v6", it is _either_ an inline 6 (unlikely unless it's a BMW), or a V6.

Second of all, unless it is severely cold (20 degrees Fahrenheit or below) you only need to "warm it up" for about 30 seconds, just long enough to make sure that the oil is flowing. After that, you're better to just drive gently (i.e. no heavy acceleration) until the engine has reached operating temperature.

If it's really, really cold, the engine still doesn't need more than maybe 90 seconds.

ZV

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
10-15 seconds.. 30-45 if you're feeling generous.

Use the proper viscosity engine oil for the ambient temperatures your engine is experiencing and don't worry about it.

Drive gently until the coolant temperature is nominal.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000

1) Walk outside.
2) Start engine.
5) Profit.

*puts on boxing gloves*

Wanna go, bitch? :p

I just like having a nice warm engine that I can drive the way I usually do during the winter. I leave it to warm up while I go grab whatever books and stuff I need, and maybe grab a cup of coffee before I head out.

I've never heard that this is in any way damaging to the car, so if you've got a link about that I'd like to see it.
It's really just arguing back and forth (re. whether it's good or bad). You can find any number of links professing the merit of either approach. In reality the differences are surely negligible. I agree that when it's cold outside nothing beats pre-warming the car, and i do it myself!

Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt
2000 model
inline v6
47K miles

First of all, there is no such thing as an "inline v6", it is _either_ an inline 6 (unlikely unless it's a BMW or older Toyota), or a V6.

Second of all, unless it is severely cold (20 degrees Fahrenheit or below) you only need to "warm it up" for about 30 seconds, just long enough to make sure that the oil is flowing. After that, you're better to just drive gently (i.e. no heavy acceleration) until the engine has reached operating temperature.

If it's really, really cold, the engine still doesn't need more than maybe 90 seconds.

ZV

Fixed for a more likely option, and I concur on your deductions above. Unneccessary idling = :thumbsdown: for engine and environment.

- M4H

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt
2000 model
inline v6
47K miles

First of all, there is no such thing as an "inline v6", it is _either_ an inline 6 (unlikely unless it's a BMW), or a V6.

ZV

I disagree totally on the last part. In below zero temperatures, assuming most people have conventional oil in their cars that probably is overdue to be changed, I think 90 seconds is a bit short of a warm up period. I use Mobil 1 in the Mustang, and it takes a good 30 seconds just for the oil pressure to come up and the valves to quiet down when it's below zero. In a car with conventional oil that is overdue for a change, it could conceivably take the better part of those 90 seconds for the oil to start circulating.

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Why do you need to warm up the car? I just take it slow until it warms up by itself. Before i use to gun the gas to warm up the car while i was driving, but one COLD winter night, the frost that was on the accelerator clumped up when i gunned it, and got stuck, and i couldn't slow/stop, and had to use my emergency brake. Called a tow truck, and they came and just thawed it the line, and it worked fine after that.

Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: Insane3D
In a car with conventional oil that is overdue for a change, it could conceivably take the better part of those 90 seconds for the oil to start circulating.

That's an example of what I like call "vehicular Darwinism." Treat your car like crap and don't be surprised when it runs like it. :p

- M4H