Discussion Warhammer 40K - Space Marine 2

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006

- Well, I don't see any pigs flying, but we're getting a Space Marine 2 after most folks had lost faith in the Emper... I mean didn't think we were ever going to get a sequel.

As always, I am wringing my hands a bit cause the original game was a solid 7/10 and it was made by Relic, definitely one of the better WH40K games out there, but I didn't think it was anything overly special.

This time the game is being made by Sabre Studios, the 40K name in the videogame world is more of an albatross than anything else, but I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

Tyranids look to be the enemies this time around, and it looks like Captain Titus is back, this time as a Primaris Captain/Leftenant.

I hope all of the gameplay this time around is as weighty as the jetpack portions. I don't recall the first game so well, but I remember the combat feeling a bit too floaty and light for a Space Marine.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I remember Space Marine was a game I looked forward to for a long time, but I can't honestly remember anything about the game other than I played it once, then never again.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
The trailer looked great, and the few bits of gameplay seem to show something good enough. If it's really action-oriented (and why wouldn't it be) with a decent story line then I'm in. I'm never asking for that much out of the WH40K games. I'm a simple guy, I see something about WH40K and I'm most likely excited for it. Sure, there's been exceptions (like Dawn of War 3... that one still hurts) but yeah, if anything, I'm happy they're even doing that game in the first place.

I used to wish for something like Total War: 40K, but over the years I accepted that it will simply never happen (Fantasy WH instead having taken that spot it seems, forever). So if they just keep doing some action-oriented stuff like Space Marine then sure, bring it, I'll see how it is. My real 'wet dream' scenario now for a WH40K game would be a Horus Heresy game, NOT multiplayer, and NOT open world. It would have to be story driven, single player, cinematic and extremely ambitious (obviously). But I did say dream scenario, because that's dreaming in pretty darn vibrant colors for sure. I think that's why I'm trying to stay content with "whatever else" any devs out there can bring to the table, because the 'real' games I have in mind for that universe would either take 20 years to make or are simply impossible to realize on current hardware (even PC).

Reactions: Skel and Fenixgoon

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Praise the emperor and his holy throne!!

Space Marine SP was fun, but my god the multiplayer was addictive. It felt SO GOOD. I still keep space Marine installed just in case I need to scratch that itch. Can't wait!!

Reactions: DeathReborn

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
If you enjoy geeking out on this stuff as much as I do. This is a great breakdown of that trailer, and all of the lore involved.

Reactions: Fenixgoon
Feb 4, 2009
If you enjoy geeking out on this stuff as much as I do. This is a great breakdown of that trailer, and all of the lore involved.

The Emperor Protects!

Also you’ll appreciate a comment I read somewhere basically said “Most Imperial weapons are primarily terror weapons to control humans”
Since Tyrnids or Orks or Space Demonds or space vampires and all the others simply never show fear the only purpose is to keep subjects in line.
Bolsters have no purpose shooting mini unguided rockets, reduced range vs other weapons, increased damage to ridiculous levels instead
Chain sword axes and so on have no good purpose other than to make noise and rip things apart
Melta weapons have little purpose because they are so “over clocked” they tend to melt their users.
War Hounds only exist to house the dead and spread fear.
Titan serve no purpose legitimate artillery couldn’t fill. Titans only purpose is to scare the crap out of people.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Looks absolutely solid. Got my fingers crossed on this one, always seems to be a coinflip with 40K.

OG Space Marine was a perfectly serviceable game but it lacked that extra zip that would have elevated it above the rest in the genre (except those jump pack sections, bless the sweet hams of The Emperor those were great).

Hope the devs here copy some of the more interesting examples of the genre instead of leaning too heavily on the setting to move copies.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Damnit, do I need to go find my old disc and re-install the game? I kinda remember the jump pack bits, but as hyped as I was about the game back in the day, I'm struggling to remember ANYTHING about it. I can remember entire sequences of video games that I watched my dad play back in the early 90s, but for some reason, I have like three fragmented memories of Space Marine and I can't even be sure if they were gameplay from me or from a trailer I watched.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
for me, the multiplayer was the best. i mean i've beaten the campaign multiple times and it's great to smash some boyz and a bunch of heretics. but the MP was just glorious. i never felt like it was horrendously unbalanced - every class felt viable on just about every map. my take was that there were too many modes and that fractured the population. if there were just Domination and Co-Op (can't remember what it was called), that would be perfect IMO

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Here be some gameplay. Very tentatively positive about this. Game looks fantastic, tons of enemies, got that 40K Grimdark feeling.

Hope they put enough meat on the bones and vary up the set-pieces to keep things interesting.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Here be some gameplay. Very tentatively positive about this. Game looks fantastic, tons of enemies, got that 40K Grimdark feeling.

Hope they put enough meat on the bones and vary up the set-pieces to keep things interesting.

I'm always incredibly hesitant to even watch development footage since it rarely resembles the final product but it does look good. That being said, I'm keeping a heavy amount of skepticism until I see the final product.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I'm always incredibly hesitant to even watch development footage since it rarely resembles the final product but it does look good. That being said, I'm keeping a heavy amount of skepticism until I see the final product.
It syncs with that nearly 2yr old gameplay trailer above, so I am confident you are looking at the game you are getting.

It looks CPU demanding. Looking forward to what the cutoff is. Zen2 and 8th gen 12 threads to not have frame pacing issues?