Walmart vs. Target... WOW, what a difference

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Why bother with either? Go to Costco for the win.

1. Ditch Wal-Mart
2. Ditch Target
3. Buy in bulk from Costco
4. PROFIT!

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Originally posted by: ariafrost
Why bother with either? Go to Costco for the win.

1. Ditch Wal-Mart
2. Ditch Target
3. Buy in bulk from Costco
4. PROFIT!

Because Costco requires $50/yr membership and is not everywhere. Item selection is limited and you've to buy in bulk. Plus Walmart is cheaper than Costco on most items.

I dislike Walmart because of the long lines and filty stores but they do have the cheapest price on most goods.

ice91785

Oct 22, 2006
Walmart actually has more diverse inventory; for example target has a very very crappy automotive section -- walmarts is not half bad. This is just ONE example off the top of my head. I am sure i could come up with more....but not tonight --its xmas break after all, who wants to use their braing?? NOT ME

I will agree that target is funner to shop at though cuz you don't slip on the foodstamps, drool, and hobos all over the floor....

slvrsol

Sep 14, 2003
Just went to walmart to buy some motor oil and went through the "Speedy" check-out line with a ridiculous max of 20 items. These two bitches had like 30 items and they asked the clerk to scan each item to see how much it was and decided whether they wanted to buy it or not. Terrible.. wasted like 10 minutes of everyone's time.

LordMorpheus

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2002
I go to target more often because it is closer.

That said, the one I go to is fairly nice (Super Target on main street south of the med center in houston).

but when I need to buy lots of food it's sam's.

blackbishop26

Mar 31, 2006
4) The shoppers at target look like normal people. The shoppers at walmart look like they came out of a trailer park.

ya know, some people here actually live in a trailer park. we're not all whitetrash. grow up.

Pandamonium

Golden Member
Aug 19, 2001
Target isn't exactly classy. I feel dirty after going to either location, but that's the price that we pay for cheap merchandise.

Your Walmart must be poorly maintained though, because I can't tell a difference between the Target and Walmart here. (St. Louis)

dbk

Lifer
Apr 23, 2004
They both sell low quality items, except Target's is prettier and tend to be a teeny bit more costly than Walmart's.

tealk

Diamond Member
May 27, 2005
To qualify to be a Walmart shopper you must:

*Be wear atleast 3 different kinds of Nascar clothing
*Have atleast 3 kids in your cart or walking behind you(also wearing Nascar clothing of some sort)
*Be Caucasian (also not be able to spell that word correctly)
*And lastly just getting off work wearing your White Castle uniform - this may be substituted for Nascar clothing.

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
Originally posted by: tealk

*Have atleast 3 kids in your cart or walking behind you(also wearing Nascar clothing of some sort)
*And lastly just getting off work wearing your White Castle uniform - this may be substituted for Nascar clothing.

:roll: (and I'm not even a fan of WalMart fan)

Feb 10, 2000
This topic has been hashed out here before, but for my part I find Wal-Mart gross and depressing. Target is still very cheap, minus the soul-crushing atmosphere, so honestly I don't care whether toothpaste is $0.10 cheaper at Wal-Mart if Target still sells it $0.80 cheaper than Walgreen's. Actually here in Target's home territory of Minnesota we have a ton of Super Targets with excellent, very cheap grocery sections that sell a lot of nice, high-end merchandise like fresh tuna steaks, dry-aged beef, and organic produce, all vastly cheaper than at freestanding grocery stores. Target is a great phenomenon from my perspective, whereas Wal-Mart is just heinous.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: ornament
They both sell low quality items, except Target's is prettier and tend to be a teeny bit more costly than Walmart's.

I'm pretty sure they sell the same (low quality) items. You're right that it's a teeny bit more costly, however.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Originally posted by: b0mbrman

I'm pretty sure they sell the same (low quality) items. You're right that it's a teeny bit more costly, however.

Actually, some of the clothing at Target is not that bad and is definately different from Wal-Mart.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Fingolfin269

Actually, some of the clothing at Target is not that bad and is definately different from Wal-Mart.

And all of the Isaac Mizrahi stuff is Target-exclusive I believe (not just clothes, also a lot of home decoration stuff).

When people say Target sells higher quality stuff, they're not talking about cereal and laundry detergent. Take the flashlight department at both stores (I'm a flashlight guy, so I've spent quite a bit of time in both of their flashlight departments). The best lights Walamart sells are Maglites (which are crap). Target also sells Maglites, but then they have Inova as well. And I believe the Rock River brand flashlights they sell are well-regarded on candlepowerforums.com. And the Brinkman MaxFire LX that Target sells - that's a poor man's SureFire G2 with a clicky tailcap (I've bought four of them :eek: ).

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo

"an economist professor of mine, who worked at the justice department before teaching law, says that walmart's prices are actually higher on un-advertised things. i've never tried to independently verify that, however."

I have.

Did it after watching a special that said, to paraphrase, "The advertised price of a microwave might be the lowest in town, but the other microwaves that you actually want may be priced higher."

Not true.

Walmart's microwaves were priced lower for every model that was also available at Target, the PX, Best Buy, and Home Depot. I have also checked for other goods.

I've actually found that to be true. Prices on small applicances are actually much better (by as much as $10!) at Kohl's. Off brand electronics are cheap, but their name brand counterparts are usually much more pricey than somewhere like Best Buy or Circuit City. HOWEVER, Walmart often has special editions of electronics with slightly different/missing features that other stores don't carry.

Like it was said before, I think Walmart gets it's low price reputation by selling off brand stuff for cheap, not by selling brands that people want.

DasFox

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
You guys need to come Walmart in Hawaii, LOL

Not at all the same, clean, nice wide aisles, no smells, I have to admit all Walmarts have cheap merchandise, that's just Walmart. No one looks like they want to kill anyone here.

Personally it's where you're located that counts, Connecticut, nice warm December day at Walmarts, LOL

ALOHA

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: DasFox
You guys need to come Walmart in Hawaii, LOL

Not at all the same, clean, nice wide aisles, no smells, I have to admit all Walmarts have cheap merchandise, that's just Walmart. No one looks like they want to kill anyone here.

Personally it's where you're located that counts, Connecticut, nice warm December day at Walmarts, LOL

ALOHA

The Walmart on Maui is very nice - and the cashiers there actually say mahalo instead of just grunting. ;) The K-mart is nice too.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Mermaidman
Originally posted by: tealk

:roll: (and I'm not even a fan of WalMart fan)

:p yea in bay area walmart is anything but lilly white.. its about as diverse as it gets.. lots of indians and mexicans.

the lilly white areas are the ones that fight against walmarts being built...

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Amused
Actually, no, I don't. But they are not the everyday items you guys keep trying to claim they are. They are mostly toys and bikes, dishes and towels, sheet sets and such. Target does exactly the same thing. Hell, so does Macy's. All stores have their store brands of these items.

The completely absurd claim that somehow the soap or cleaning supplies or bath and beauty aids I buy will be inferior are absurd ignorant nonsense.

I think this is part of the problem.

there was a report that wal-mart was forcing a manufacture to sale items for wal-mart store brand. they said no. wal-mart said fine we will make our own and undercut you a LOT and reduce your shelf space. of course the company agreed to make products with wal-mart branding (same item. just wrapped in wal-mart box)

so people think that wal-mart forces them to make a inferior product because they have read the story. so they think that box of tide (or whatever) is made special for wal-mart. when its the same crap target, Lowe's etc sale.

though part of the trick is to find the items that wal-mart has re boxed. i have found the Equate (wal-mart brand of health care) brand 90% are re boxed. some will even say that they are re boxed from the maker.

i had a site that listed them all. to bad i lost it. grr.