Walmart Managers Make on Average- $175k a year.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/09/business/walmart-store-managers-wages/index.html

If that statement is true then that's pretty incredible. The only thing is why does it seem that most people who work at Walmart don't come anywhere close to 6 figures? Is it a lack of education? Are most of the people who do entry level work lazy? That's great money. I had no idea they make that much. I wonder if you could work up from entry level to a managerial spot without attending college.

Reactions: billw
Nov 8, 2012
Walmart manager? Do you mean a SINGLE STORE manager?

I would find that incredibly hard to believe.

Then again, it is pretty hard to manage a bunch of walmart employees ;)

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
How many hundreds of employees are you willing to manage for that salary?

Are you saying the stress levels working as a manager at Walmart are incredibly high? I wish I knew. I don't know anyone who works at Walmart as a manager.

The people who I've talked to are entry level and make $9 an hour.

Nov 8, 2012
Ugh, that would suck. When I supervised, I only had 15 or so and they could be a PITA.

To be fair, a lot of them DO treat their employees like shit. My mother-in-law has worked at a Walmart her whole life - which is her fault, we have told her numerous times to find a new job but she just puts in minimal effort.

But anyhow, my wife was telling me how she got reprimanded the other day for clocking in 6 minutes early - and if she did it again she would be punished.

Wtf is wrong with showing up to work 6 minutes early?

Nov 8, 2012
Are you saying the stress levels working as a manager at Walmart are incredibly high? I wish I knew. I don't know anyone who works at Walmart as a manager.

The people who I've talked to are entry level and make $9 an hour.

LOL - who the hell do you think the employees stereo-typically are? Upstanding high class members of society?

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Walmart manager? Do you mean a SINGLE STORE manager?

I would find that incredibly hard to believe.

Then again, it is pretty hard to manage a bunch of walmart employees ;)

The company has about 4,700 store managers in the United States and they earn an average of $175,000 a year, Walmart said in social governance report Wednesday.

My guess is that would be a single store.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
there's like 200-400 people working at each Walmart store. 175K is probably underpaid to manage a workforce that big.

Sep 29, 2004

If you let one person get away with it, you have to let everyone get away with it.

The answer lies in math. Assume 100 employees per store per day. Each makes $10/hr. That 6 minute early clock in costs walmart $1 per day per employee. So 100 employees is $100 per day. 365 days a year is $36,500. That's why. It's called free cash flow and if you don't manage the penny's it adds up big time. How many stores? 3000? To Wal-Mart that's $109,500,000 LOST! We're not talking penny's.

Broguth to you by your friend, Math.

Reactions: JJChicken
Sep 29, 2004
there's like 200-400 people working at each Walmart store. 175K is probably underpaid to manage a workforce that big.

I was kinda shocked to hear it. I figured $300K. I can't imagine these people stay there but doing that is easier than my job as an engineer and I don't make $175K.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/09/business/walmart-store-managers-wages/index.html

If that statement is true then that's pretty incredible. The only thing is why does it seem that most people who work at Walmart don't come anywhere close to 6 figures? Is it a lack of education? Are most of the people who do entry level work lazy? That's great money. I had no idea they make that much. I wonder if you could work up from entry level to a managerial spot without attending college.
Is this a real question? You're asking why most people that work in a retail store don't get paid anywhere close to six figures?

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001

Sometimes, the issue with clocking in early can be issues with your pay rate and length of shift. For example, if someone clocks in early enough, it may put them over a certain number of hours in a week, and then they've got too many hours for a specific type of employee. For example, I think the limit on part-time employees is like... 36 hours a week? As for length of shift, sometimes, they plan shift lengths so they're below the amount required for a break or something along those lines. So, if you clock in early enough, it may put you over that amount, and now they need to factor those things in.

Now, if I had to guess, the issue is likely be for the former more than the latter as six hours isn't likely to push someone into needing breaks, etc. However, the whole part-time thing can be a big deal as part-time employees aren't given nearly as many goodies as full-timers.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
If you let one person get away with it, you have to let everyone get away with it.

The answer lies in math. Assume 100 employees per store per day. Each makes $10/hr. That 6 minute early clock in costs walmart $1 per day per employee. So 100 employees is $100 per day. 365 days a year is $36,500. That's why. It's called free cash flow and if you don't manage the penny's it adds up big time. How many stores? 3000? To Wal-Mart that's $109,500,000 LOST! We're not talking penny's.

Yep. I worked part time at WAWA, and in the past they would allow you to punch in 15 minutes early. They got really strick with this, and you're only allowed to punch in 2-3 minutes early now. It was affecting their bottom line. Thousands of stores, thousands of employees, and 5-10 minutes early means hundreds of thousands lost. It does add up quickly.

Nov 8, 2012

No I get it - presuming that the person doesn't work after clocking in. Absolutely. I presume that once clocked in (early) they actually contribute to their work - and thus the $1 figure you cite is negated by their work performance.

Keep in mind - The majority of slackers in life are late - not early.

Also in the case of my mother in law - she is no where close to the amount of hours in order to be considered full-time either.

Nov 8, 2012

How else can you be a giant piece of shit company and demand that every worker is "part time" (regardless of hours desired) to prevent them from getting company benefits?

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
If your shift kicks off with a preliminary planning meeting every day, then clocking in early doesn' t mean you'll start working earlier. It's just wasted time from the company standpoint.

Nov 8, 2012
If your shift kicks off with a preliminary planning meeting every day, then clocking in early doesn' t mean you'll start working earlier. It's just wasted time from the company standpoint.

Everyday for every shift worker at Walmart they have a "preliminary planning meeting" o_O ?

News to me if true.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
How many hundreds of employees are you willing to manage for that salary?
Don't worry. It's getting fewer all the time. Still the same amount of work to be done though, just with fewer bodies with which to do it.