Walmart Managers Make on Average- $175k a year.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Its Wally World. I would be surprised if they have benefits that are worth $50k a year. Its probably closer to $20k. To me that salary is nothing to sneeze at BUT I agree it isn't a easy job

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
I can believe this for a general manager. But I am sure there are many sub managers under that one PER store general manager.

someone16

Dec 18, 2003
Yep. I worked part time at WAWA, and in the past they would allow you to punch in 15 minutes early. They got really strick with this, and you're only allowed to punch in 2-3 minutes early now. It was affecting their bottom line. Thousands of stores, thousands of employees, and 5-10 minutes early means hundreds of thousands lost. It does add up quickly.

Not familiar with how it works in the US, but why wouldn't they just round the hours to the schedule start time? Seems kinda dumb having to wait for the exact minute to match the scheduled time.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Not familiar with how it works in the US, but why wouldn't they just round the hours to the schedule start time? Seems kinda dumb having to wait for the exact minute to match the scheduled time.
A Walmart Associate should never be late. Nor should they be early. A Walmart Associate must arrive precisely when corporate intends them to.

Last edited:
Reactions: brianmanahan

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I might have missed someone already pointing this out, but that dollar figure from the article includes benefits and bonuses. Health insurance, vision, dental and other benefits are a huge part of a retail managers overall compensation, so it's not like the head wally is actually taking home $175,000/year on their paycheck. He or she is likely banking far, far less.

Ah, so they're reporting the total cost to employ the manager and not the manager's salary? Interesting.

....I mean, I know that I cost roughly twice my salary, lol

Reactions: Paladin3

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
Because hourly employees get paid from moment they punch in to the moment they punch out, and are not allowed to work at all while off the clock. It is designed to keep everything fair, in theory.

Last edited:

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
How else can you be a giant piece of shit company and demand that every worker is "part time" (regardless of hours desired) to prevent them from getting company benefits?
You can almost universally count on folks to do what's in their own best interest. Corporations will only pay what they are forced to for labor, not a cent more. Historically, anytime employers have been forced by unions or legislation to pay their employees a higher wage or better benefits they have done their best to find a way not to. It's nothing new and Walmart didn't invent it.