Wall Street Journal provides evidence Trump is a "fake president"

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Looks to me that the ACA is going to survive. That being said, my insurance is much more expensive under ACA. I don't use it because of high deductibles. Kinda defeats the idea of prevention.

And it would be a further 2x-5x more expensive with this Trump-Ryan plan. ...depends on how poor and susceptible to government price-gauging you are, obviously. Winning!

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
What flavor is your cool aid?

it's interesting, because for the last 8 years, if you were to believe the conservatives here and elsewhere, the president was a tyrant with the power of a simple signature to swipe away your rights and send you off to the Gulag over night. It is, after all, what we are to believe that blackie is, and always was, capable of.

Now, today: Oh, don't worry. This guy might be crazy, perhaps clinically insane, but he has no real power. It's mere "suggestion for people to do things." "Don't worry, America: us conservatives may be grossly incompetent and prfoundly irresponsible when it comes to leadership, but it's not like these guys have any real power. This stuff can easily be overturned, you know!"

16 years ago, it was: "These things need to happen to keep us safe! The president and only the president knows what's right, therefore he needs all the power, and more!, that we can and should give him!" 12-9 years ago, "Don't worry, American, this guy isn't a fascist. That's crazy talk! The people still have real power, look, it is all working! Browns are terrified all over the world! Freedom!" 9 years ago: "....uh, what are you doing guys??!? Really, the black man?? WTF are you doing, stealing my country?!?! THIS WILL NOT STAND! Get the robes, boys! this is 4-8 years of taking this country back! ...but we aren't racists...we're just 'protecting' you from secret Kenyan mooooselmens!"

Fucking conservatives: the greatest enemies to this country. full stop. And all because they are grossly--and proudly--ignorant.

jmagg

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
It seems you haven't been following this healthcare plan. If you think that anything proposed in this plan (which Trump "supports"--but refuses to put his name to) is in any way related to his campaign promises, then you haven't been paying attention.

I've been paying close attention, but the details of Trumpcare have been sketchy. Hopefully the new plan will be adjusted to keep the good parts of the ACA. Obamacare clearly didnt work well, at least in my demographic. I believe the only real way to fix healthcare is to regulate gouging/profits at the top, but that'll never happen. I'm certainly for affordable healthcare for all.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I've been paying close attention, but the details of Trumpcare have been sketchy. Hopefully the new plan will be adjusted to keep the good parts of the ACA. Obamacare clearly didnt work well, at least in my demographic. I believe the only real way to fix healthcare is to regulate gouging/profits at the top, but that'll never happen. I'm certainly for affordable healthcare for all.

Good, because that's really what matters in the end. The ACA works extremely well or extremely poorly, obviously as in your case, depending on the individual and the situation. But as we've been reminded decade after decade after decade: this is how democracy works. For some to benefit, others must pay. The point is that the greater number of individuals overall benefit, thus majority rule in a democracy. The ACA certainly worked for far people than it harmed, but the brutal realization for those that it harmed, in various degrees, is that there were people that pretty much never experienced such difficulty in their lives. I don't relish that in any way, but if one can find a positive out of that mess, it is that a lot of comfortable middle class and upper middle class people in those ACA "Dead zones" probably gained, for the first time in their lives, a decent appreciation for what great swaths of quiet, largely ignored demographics in this country have lived through over generations. Again, this isn't about "payback" or enjoying the misery of certain "entitlement-through-birth class" of folks--just that the proper lesson to learn from where the ACA so clearly failed in their cases is that this is and has been reality for a very long time, for many, many people. Now that more of us get it, let's fix this.

The republicans have yet to come close to fixing those issues. ...unless you think stripping away all of those gains from poor and middle class people, offering up to $191k annual tax reimbursements to the top 0.1% earners, $90k to the top 1%, and paying for those entitlements by raising the actual cost of those that were already screwed by the ACA by 2-5x....I mean, this is pure insanity.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
You haven't really been paying attention then. The bill is written and to be voted on within hours-nothing sketchy about what the bill says-what may be sketchy is the media reports you have read about what it says. Zinfamous pretty much hit the nail on the head with the post above. (He did leave the part our about lifting the cap on health insurance executives compensation). This bill is very little about healthcare and much more so about biasing the tax system more towards the wealthy. The talk of 24 million being dropped from insurance coverage (CBO estimate) is actually below what the Trump White House internally estimated. Hospitals, patient groups, the AMA, the AARP, most doctor groups have lined up solidly against this planned fiasco that is being rushed through.

And if you think it won't bother you because you get your health coverage through your job, think again. All insurance premiums are going to skyrocket as hospitals and doctors shift costs to those remaining insureds.

jmagg

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
I've been a lifetime blue collar Democrat, turned Independent for reason of what I believe excessive entitlements. I'm in upstate NY where everyone is well taken care of, so again, demographics matter as to opinion. I'm worn down, paid into the healthcare system which i've seldom used, and watch deductibles skyrocket under ACA, and premiums double prior to that. The problems lie at the top of the industry in terms of unchecked gouging.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I've been a lifetime blue collar Democrat, turned Independent for reason of what I believe excessive entitlements. I'm in upstate NY where everyone is well taken care of, so again, demographics matter as to opinion. I'm worn down, paid into the healthcare system which i've seldom used, and watch deductibles skyrocket under ACA, and premiums double prior to that. The problems lie at the top of the industry in terms of unchecked gouging.

You may be interested to learn that TrumpCare aka RyanCare, in addition to taking the caps off executive pay, deletes the provision of the ACA that mandated refunds to consumers if premium income exceeded 80% of insurer paid medical costs. In other words what new controls ACA put into place will be wiped out.

BTW I was self employed and paid all my own health ins costs both before and after the ACA started. The premiums rose a whole lot faster back then for worse coverage. The ACA certainly isn't perfect-I'd rank it barely a C, but it's a whole lot better than the F plan TrumpCare is or the F--- plan the tea party politicians want (they want to bring us back to Charles Dickens days).

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

well, this is just self-defeated thinking. You've seldom used the healthcare up until this whatever age, all the while paying into it. Guess when you are actually going to need it? Aren't you going to wish you didn't support Trump when this actually becomes relevant to you?

Here's the deal: healthcare is relevant to everyone. Age has no political bias. Just because you can't think ahead and plan for the future, doesn't mean that the rest of the population can't.

Reactions: ivwshane

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

Your ignorance on the subject will provide you with exactly what you deserve.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I'll get exactly what I deserve, because I've planned for it thruout my life and depended on no one.

Oh, so you don't have insurance and you don't care about your premiums and deductibles and the cost of health care? You depend on a lot of people, you are just too stupid to realize it.

jmagg

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
However it comes out, I'll need to pay for my insurance to protect the things I've worked for. Did i say I don't have insurance? I don't consider paying my way stupid.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
However it comes out, I'll need to pay for my insurance to protect the things I've worked for. Did i say I don't have insurance? I don't consider paying my way stupid.

Well I'm sure you don't think paying more for something than you should to be a smart move either.

Enjoy your higher costs, no big deal though, I'm sure you planned for that.

jmagg

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
I've been out, did Trumps bill pass? I figure it'll end up somewhere in the middle which would be a step in the right direction. No sense bitching until an outcome.
For the record, I'm not a big Trump fan but less of a Hilly fan, and anger is a waste of energy.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
The ACA has not been at all good for me. But that doesnt mean I'll blindly support anything President Cheeto throws out.
This is the guy that said "who knew health care could be so complicated".

Reactions: Ichinisan