Wal-Mart's Sam's Club limiting rice purchases

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
If food shortages are driving up the costs here in the USA, we should stop exporting so much.

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: BoomerD
If food shortages are driving up the costs here in the USA, we should stop exporting so much.

Who's "we"? If you're a business you sell to the highest bidder.
If people are starving in America farmers are still going to sell to the highest bidder.

May 31, 2001
I went to Sam's Club today. People were obviously taking the news to heart. Some customers had multiple flatbed carts loaded up with the basics. Coke, Diet Mountain Dew, Pizza Rolls, toilet paper, bottled water, and shitty Julia Roberts movies (I know that last one covers a lot, but deal with it).

Oct 25, 2006
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper
Originally posted by: tenshodo13

I eat it every day and it still lasts for a hell of a long time. One cup is enough for like 3 days of eating

One cup of uncooked rice is enough for one plate or bowl of stir fry! I bet you're a very petite lady of around 100 lbs?

No. 6 feet 180 pounds. I mispoke. I was thinking of 1 rice cooker pot.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: ShotgunSteven
I went to Sam's Club today. People were obviously taking the news to heart. Some customers had multiple flatbed carts loaded up with the basics. Coke, Diet Mountain Dew, Pizza Rolls, toilet paper, bottled water, and shitty Julia Roberts movies (I know that last one covers a lot, but deal with it).
But these damn stores are always like that! If a person's "basics" include pizza rolls, I want us to agree to send them off to fight at the frontlines first when the next war starts.

Jiggz

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2001
Originally posted by: maddogchen
Originally posted by: waggy
Originally posted by: maddogchen
Originally posted by: waggy
Originally posted by: Dari
Add your own insightful comment.

With that said, I'm surprised that this is happening in America.

considering we don't grow the rice here im not shocked. ohh and think t his is a repost.

what you mean we don't grow rice here?

that we import far more then we use? that other countries halting exports is what is hurting?

if we import far more than we use then we have a surplus. And if other countries halt exports then our surplus grows smaller.

But you're overlooking the fact that the US makes more rice than we use and we export a lot of rice too. So how come rice prices are jumping so high here in the US if we use less rice than we both import and make??

Agree! The only reason we import rice is because consumer prefer Asian grown rice like the ones from Japan and Thailand. Otherwise, if consumer only wants CALROSE, we've got CALROSE more than enough to feed all American rice eaters for the next 10 years.

This type of news is actually a sales tactic. It's some form of FUD (Fear, Uncertainty and Deception) to instigate panic buying thus increasing sales! Don't be a part of the problem and ignore the ignorants who hoard rice and eventually turn it into waste due to rotten grains.

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
hmmm, i purchased a big bag of rice like 1 year ago... still have plenty left... and i'm asian..... maybe i should make rice daily? eat with miso soup in the morning like those Japanese people.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Well what did you guys exspect? Oil $118 a barrel. If oil is worth that amount of $$$ . Whats the true value of a bushel of wheat? Can oil keep you from starving? Wheat can. Rice can . Oil does nothing for real world concerns. Other than getting you to work.

I say charge all Oil cartel countries and arm and a leg for all imports. You guys may not know it but this is war. Opec wants to play hardball let the game begin.

Many americans have it within their means to grow their own food. I don't but I do raise my own beef,pigs and turkey chickens. Its the only smart thing to do. My dad butchers the meat. 1 pound of hamburger cost me about 35cents . 1$ for steaks.

Of course you need a bomb shelter(food shelter) So your good neighbors don't kill ya for your food. I am ready for the inevitable. Are you.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Went to chinese restaurant that I've been going to since I got here in January yesterday and instead of a nice helping of rice on the plate as usual it came in a very small side bowl.

They also doubled the price of the pint and quart of rice on the menu.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Originally posted by: 1EZduzit
We're going to be starving this time next year.... if not sooner!!

In our race to acheive 3rd world status for our country expect the prices of food to continue to raise along with energy as the dollar continues to weaken.

The bright side is we got rid of that bad man Saddam (just don't think about OBL) and Iraq will be a democracy whether they like it or not!! :p

About an hour. It took a little over an hour this time before Iraq was mentioned.

You guys going for the record or something?