Wal-Mart's Sam's Club limiting rice purchases

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
When you go grocery shopping and a parent keeps the 3 year old in the cart with a baseball bat, its time to worry :)

Socio

Golden Member
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by: Dari
Add your own insightful comment.

With that said, I'm surprised that this is happening in America.

Not me, if the oil companies can price gouge at the pump and get away with it you know other industries like the food industry would sure to follow suit. Especially with the new Bio fuel trend using crops to make fuel, it will be nothing more than excuse for the food industry to start claiming shortages because of it then crank up prices.

beyoku

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2003
Originally posted by: Perry404
Originally posted by: maddogchen
Originally posted by: waggy
Originally posted by: waggy
Originally posted by: Dari
Add your own insightful comment.

With that said, I'm surprised that this is happening in America.

considering we don't grow the rice here im not shocked. ohh and think t his is a repost.

what you mean we don't grow rice here?

Rice grown here is sold here.
that we import far more then we use? that other countries halting exports is what is hurting?

if we import far more than we use then we have a surplus. And if other countries halt exports then our surplus grows smaller.

But you're overlooking the fact that the US makes more rice than we use and we export a lot of rice too. So how come rice prices are jumping so high here in the US if we use less rice than we both import and make??

You're making the false presumption that rice produced in the U.S. is sold in the U.S.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
so is anyone here hoarding food?
I've to admit, I just sent the mrs on her trip and told her to buy a lot extra. With inflation where it is and food costs on the rise, even if end-times don't draw near, frankly it's a better investment than my ING savings account anyway, since she only over-bought things we normally eat.

D

Deleted member 4644

I'm not hoarding food, but I might finally buy a firearm.

maddogchen

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2004
Originally posted by: Deleted member 4644
I'm not hoarding food, but I might finally buy a firearm.

so you can join the rampaging, hungry mobs attacking the food hoarders eh? :laugh:

ranmaniac

Golden Member
May 14, 2001
Originally posted by: StormRider
Maybe I'll finally be able to lose some weight and women will find me slightly more attractive as a result...

lol, it's a shortage of rice, not Big Macs.

cliftonite

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Anubis
Originally posted by: BoomerD

I was at Costco Monday evening, and they're now limiting rice to three bags per customer too.

how big is 1 bag?

Depends. The Basmati rice is 10lbs, the Carolinas long grain is 25 lbs, the jasmine rice is 25lbs, and they have a 50lb and 100lb bags too.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
I just well, I have a 50 lbs bag of jasmin but I was thinking of feeding it to the birds since......... I hear that white rice is bad for you. Bleached rice with the husk stripped off and must the good shit is in the husk ...reason why you should be eating brown rice anyway!

Hey for all you people that still have your Y2K buckets of food! Why not start eating that? Sheesh, epople will get worked up over the craziest crap!

Were all gonna die! Help us!!!!!

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: Anubis
Originally posted by: BoomerD

I was at Costco Monday evening, and they're now limiting rice to three bags per customer too.

how big is 1 bag?

I don't know. The sign was at the check-out...but I'm sure it was "Costco-Sized."

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
1 bag at costco is 50Lbs. The bag I picked up a few months ago. That shit will last a very long time unless you eat it every day....

PANIC!

I am pretty sure if we ran out of rice you could still buy potatoes!

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: ericlp
1 bag at costco is 50Lbs. The bag I picked up a few months ago. That shit will last a very long time unless you eat it every day....

PANIC!

50 lbs of rice would last me a decade, i asked cause i was curious never been in a costco. also how often are people buying 150 lbs of rice?

Oct 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
Oh Noes, Soylent Green is coming soon to a dining table near you!!!!!

"First they came for the cats, but your average cat only has about one pound's worth of meat on it and cats are really only good for making cat meatballs for hot pot soup anyway and the people quickly devoured the world's cat supply. Then, after the oil-exhausted world's 12 million people became real hungry..."

Pneumothorax

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2002
Originally posted by: RightIsWrong
Remember me?

If not, we might be meeting in the very near future if things continue the way that they are going.

You just found the cure for America's Obesity Epidemic. LOLz.

Obese person to sales clerk: "What do you mean I'm out of my Twinkie credits?! I'll buy yours for 10 credits on the dollar!"

Oct 25, 2006
Originally posted by: ericlp

PANIC!

I eat it every day and it still lasts for a hell of a long time. One cup is enough for like 3 days of eating

Oct 30, 2004
Originally posted by: tenshodo13

I eat it every day and it still lasts for a hell of a long time. One cup is enough for like 3 days of eating

One cup of uncooked rice is enough for one plate or bowl of stir fry! I bet you're a very petite lady of around 100 lbs?

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
I'm wondering if I should max my CC out and buy six month's worth of food ????????? DAMNITTTTTTT!

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Jeezus...a 50 lb. bag of rice would last me 3 lifetimes! (and probably still have some left over!)

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Great, instead of just letting it run out, they can help the hysteria. When I read sh*t like this, I wonder what others will do and feel half inclined to leave work, hit up the grocer, and buy 6 months of cooking oil, salt, sugar, oatmeal, and canned vegetables.

My thoughts exactly. :thumbsup:

What's next...a run on flour and vegetable oil? :laugh: