w00000000000000000000000000000000000t!!!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
well done. Hopefully you have learned your lesson and will not allow credit card debt to catch up with you again.

ShockwaveVT

Dec 13, 2004
Regarding the high-yield savings accounts various folks have mentioned...

I have nothing but good experiences with www.ingdirect.com, however www.etrade.com is offers a slightly better APR (2.5 vs 2.2%) for their online savings account. Its completely separate from their investment accounts, FDIC insured, all that good stuff. Similar restrictions on transfers (don't take effect for 2-3 days, etc) basically I go with etrade for the extra 0.3%.

There's also a relatively new player www.fnbodirect.com who is offering 2.6% and Kiplinger?s Personal Finance magazine seems to like them.

good link comparing high-yield online savings accounts:
http://www.getrichslowly.org/b...vings-account-is-best/

Loop2kil

Platinum Member
Mar 28, 2004
congrats...initially thought this was gonna be something about a giant Woot off :)

KayGee

Sep 16, 2004
Originally posted by: Pheran
Originally posted by: amdhunter
Originally posted by: Perknose
Damn, I can't believe it! I needed somewhere to gloat. :)

Celebrate! Buy yourself a large boat! :thumbsup:

Hahaha, HELL NO. I am just going to make gas purchases to keep the cards from being closed. The problem is, I only fill up maybe once or less a month. For the last few months, I've just been filling my friends tanks to create activity on my cards. They love me...lol

Congrats! However, you've got to be joking about cards being closed. I've got cards I haven't used for years and they never close them. Hell, if you call up to cancel they try to talk you out of it.

I've had 3 accounts closed after about 18 months of inactivity without any warning (2 Chase and 1 Bank of America).

BTW, congrats OP.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I note at least 3 replies saying banks will never close unused cards. That's very bad advice. Maybe YOUR cards weren't closed, but it's well-known that banks do close cards that have gone unused for a long time.

I have had cards closed for going unused, and it's not because my credit score is low.

Use each card every 3-6 months. Because once they are closed, it may not be easy to get new credit. Protect what you have, especially in today's environment.

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
Originally posted by: ShockwaveVT

I have nothing but good experiences with www.ingdirect.com, however www.etrade.com is offers a slightly better APR (2.5 vs 2.2%) for their online savings account. Its completely separate from their investment accounts, FDIC insured, all that good stuff. Similar restrictions on transfers (don't take effect for 2-3 days, etc) basically I go with etrade for the extra 0.3%.

There's also a relatively new player www.fnbodirect.com who is offering 2.6% and Kiplinger?s Personal Finance magazine seems to like them.

Stupid question. *I know nothing about finances*

If I put $1000 in an account that is 2%, does that mean it earns only 20 bucks in a year, or 20 bucks a month or what?

hydroponik

Oct 2, 2006
Originally posted by: ShockwaveVT

Stupid question. *I know nothing about finances*

If I put $1000 in an account that is 2%, does that mean it earns only 20 bucks in a year, or 20 bucks a month or what?

20 bucks a year, but this gets compounded every year.