Question VRM Cooling

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
The VRM temps on my Zenith II are getting over 60C which causes the heatsink fans to spin up and down constantly. Being that it's a water cooled case, the top mount radiator sits in front of the VRM heatsink so there isn't anything externally moving air.

1593272945861.png

How are folks handling VRM cooling on these sTRX4 and Intel X299 with high heat output? I'm thinking a monoblock may be the best option over shoe horning some type of lower rpm fan.

This one looks interesting. My biggest dread is ripping it all apart to get the block installed.

1593278495279.png

Last edited:

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
some monoblocks require the bolt being able to be passed though the board.
This makes them not compatible with some boards as you would have to remove the entire rension system, or drill a hole though the board. (X299)
So make sure you read the instruction manual before you go buy a block, since most blocks have a return fee on them.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
some monoblocks require the bolt being able to be passed though the board.
This makes them not compatible with some boards as you would have to remove the entire rension system, or drill a hole though the board. (X299)
So make sure you read the instruction manual before you go buy a block, since most blocks have a return fee on them.

Posted this a couple days ago, but it's a direct swap. Just have to remove the stock VRM cooling and backplate, install the monoblock, back plate and new heatsink under the IO cover. Have it on order.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
At 60C the two tiny fans kick on and bring the temps down. The case does a good job with water cooling, but the radiators get int the way of the VRM so air just traps around them. It's more about the noise the VRM fans make than temps.

Furious_Styles

Jan 17, 2019
At 60C the two tiny fans kick on and bring the temps down. The case does a good job with water cooling, but the radiators get int the way of the VRM so air just traps around them. It's more about the noise the VRM fans make than temps.

Can you change the fan curve on them? Typically VRMs don't cause throttling until they reach north of 120C. 60C is so low not sure why the fan is even coming on unless it's an ultra conservative curve.

Reactions: thesmokingman

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
That's something I should look at. Not an expert on VRM temps so didn't realize that the fan curve was that conservative.

thesmokingman

Platinum Member
May 6, 2010
That's something I should look at. Not an expert on VRM temps so didn't realize that the fan curve was that conservative.

Asus fan control is imo the best in the business and especially on ROG products. I would definitely adjust the profile before going to a monoblock. I prefer their PWM control but you can also try the different presets, silent etc etc.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Asus fan control is imo the best in the business and especially on ROG products. I would definitely adjust the profile before going to a monoblock. I prefer their PWM control but you can also try the different presets, silent etc etc.

Yeah, I have custom profiles setup and the VRM curve is in there. I just wrongly assumed that Asus set the fan curve to ramp up at 60C on for a specific reason. That was the default setting from their canned "default" profile. Sounds like I have some room to adjust.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Finally got around to installing the monoblock today. It was a pain to install since I had to drain the loop and pull the motherboard out. EK also loves to give you the wrong screws, but luckily I had extras from other blocks of theirs.

Overall, the VRM temps are down, but more importantly the tiny fans are not an annoyance.

1594487733786.png